News:

Testamonial:  And i have actually gone to a bar and had a bouncer try to start a fight with me on the way in. I broke his teeth out of his fucking mouth and put his face through a passenger side window of a car.

Guess thats what the Internet was build for, pussy motherfuckers taking shit in safety...

Main Menu

Does anyone have advice for converting chocolate mousse into cake?

Started by leln, July 15, 2009, 12:30:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leln

So yesterday my mom and I were watching a cooking show in which the host turned a single chocolate mousse recipe into many delicious and fattening things. One of these was the chocolate mousse cake. He took a homemade chocolate mousse recipe, added flour and chocolate chips, and baked it for a moderate length of time in a water bath. Problem-though the basic mousse recipe was posted online, the variations were not. I've tried to Google the recipe, but I mostly get instructions for making a mousse-filled/smothered cake.

Does anyone have ideas for ways to make this happen? Tasty variations that make the experiment irrelevant?

Here's the mousse recipe.

Makes about 6 cups

12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely cut
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided and softened
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brewed coffee
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream

Prepare a double-boiler: place a large heat-proof bowl over a pan, being sure water does not touch the bowl, and add chocolate and butter to the bowl. Once chocolate is completely melted, stir in the butter 1 piece at a time until fully incorporated. Keep scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula so the chocolate does not scorch. Remove the bowl from the pan and set aside. In the same double-boiler, place a large heat-proof bowl and whisk together the yolks, coffee and vanilla. While whisking, slowly add in sugar and whisk until thick. Pour mixture into a stand mixer and whisk until cool. Meanwhile, in another mixer or by hand in a chilled bowl, lift the cream into soft peaks. Fold the cream into cooled cooked eggs and cooled chocolate. It will set when cooled. Store in the refrigerator.
[initially a "Rabid Wombat of the Eastern Intertubes." Now the] Glorious Peoples' Revolutionary Wombat of Wrath and Righteous Retribution.

"If you speak out of turn again, I will unscrew your neckpipe and use the resulting hole for my lavatory.  And I have one fuck of a case of the squirts today."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I would add 1 tsp baking powder and 2 cups of cake flour, and see what happens.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

leln

Thanks! Were you thinking two cups of flour for the entire six cups of mousse? Also, any suggestions for oven temperature?
[initially a "Rabid Wombat of the Eastern Intertubes." Now the] Glorious Peoples' Revolutionary Wombat of Wrath and Righteous Retribution.

"If you speak out of turn again, I will unscrew your neckpipe and use the resulting hole for my lavatory.  And I have one fuck of a case of the squirts today."

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

Find someone who wants to change their cake into choclate mousse. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

BADGE OF HONOR

The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Fuquad

THE WORST FORUM ON THE INTERNET

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: leln on July 15, 2009, 09:34:17 AM
Thanks! Were you thinking two cups of flour for the entire six cups of mousse? Also, any suggestions for oven temperature?

Yes, and 350.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

leln

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on July 17, 2009, 08:32:17 AM
Quote from: leln on July 15, 2009, 09:34:17 AM

Yes, and 350.

Yay, thanks again! I can't wait to try this out. Provided I can save enough mousse to attempt the cake  :).

Mesozoic Mister Nigel