News:

You have [3] new messages in your inbox

Main Menu

That must be this "small government" the Tories keep promising

Started by Cain, July 16, 2009, 12:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8146487.stm

QuoteCouples should have a compulsory three-month "cooling off" period before they can start divorce proceedings, a Conservative think tank will recommend.

A report commissioned by ex-Tory leader Iain Duncan Smith will also propose a network of family relationship centres to advise before and during marriage.

[...]

The report - titled Every Family Matters - urges that estranged husbands and wives should be required by law to undergo a three-month period before launching divorce proceedings to reflect on their marriage and examine the possibility of reconciliation.

The idea behind this is that social breakdown in Britain is caused by marital breakdown and so doing everything possible to keep families together will stop children becoming drug-taking knife-crimers.  Because, as you know, couples staying together for the sake of the children can never go wrong, and divorce will automatically lead to a wasted life full of substance abuse and crime.

Also, um, small government?  Empowering the people?  Tax cuts?  Any of this ringing any bells?

Goddamn I hate the Tories.  Just when you think they've gotten over the worst of their social conservatism-induced psychosis, they start acting like morons again.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Urgh. if a marriage is fucked... then its fucked.. cooling off period or no.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Cain on July 16, 2009, 12:08:40 PM
Goddamn I hate the Politicians.  Just when you think they've gotten over the worst of their self-induced psychosis, they start acting like morons again.
fixed.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Dysnomia

but what is the point of a marriage if it doesn't end in an embittered divorce, sending the children into drug-trafficking, knife-crime fueled fits of rage against society?
It's all fun and games, till someone gets herpes.

http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/122010/mow-the-lawn.gif

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Pope Dysnomia on July 19, 2009, 09:22:47 PM
but what is the point of a marriage if it doesn't end in an embittered divorce, sending the children into drug-trafficking, knife-crime fueled fits of rage against society?

Nice use of sarcasm to ilustrate your point.

Grrrrrrr!  Like a 3 month cooling off period is going to help a family with an abusive member in it! Is is helpful for when your married to some fucking drunk, crackhead, or other defective member of the human species that is damaging your life/heart/mental health/physical health/bank balance. Of course if you add kids to the equation its gonna be fucked up but more fucked up if you put up with the asshole spouse for the sake of them! To drop the divorce rate you need therapist to talk eejits out of getting married!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Regret on July 16, 2009, 10:47:13 PM
Goddamn I hate the Humans.  Just when you think they've gotten over the worst of their self-induced psychosis, they start acting like morons again.
fixed.

Fixed.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Reginald Ret

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 19, 2009, 10:56:50 PM
Goddamn I hate the Humans.  Just when you think they've gotten over the worst of their self-induced psychosis, they start acting like morons again.
fixed.

Fixed.

Point. Still,
I REFUSE TO ACKOWLEDGE ANY RELATION TO POLITICIANS!

Quote from: Pixie O'Fubar on July 19, 2009, 09:44:57 PM

Grrrrrrr!  Like a 3 month cooling off period is going to help a family with an abusive member in it! Is is helpful for when your married to some fucking drunk, crackhead, or other defective member of the human species that is damaging your life/heart/mental health/physical health/bank balance. Of course if you add kids to the equation its gonna be fucked up but more fucked up if you put up with the asshole spouse for the sake of them! To drop the divorce rate you need therapist to talk eejits out of getting married!

Defective implies purpose. If humans have any purpose at all it is to annoy me.
Besides, therapy can't fight stupid.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Regret on July 19, 2009, 11:43:12 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on July 19, 2009, 10:56:50 PM
fixed.

Fixed.

Point. Still,
I REFUSE TO ACKOWLEDGE ANY RELATION TO POLITICIANS!

Quote from: Pixie O'Fubar on July 19, 2009, 09:44:57 PM

Defective implies purpose. If humans have any purpose at all it is to annoy me.
Besides, therapy can't fight stupid.
I cant fault your logic.

Grrrrrrr!  Like a 3 month cooling off period is going to help a family with an abusive member in it! Is is helpful for when your married to some fucking drunk, crackhead, or other defective member of the human species that is damaging selfish fucking hairless ape intent on being an arsehole and fucking up your life/heart/mental health/physical health/bank balance. Of course if you add kids to the equation its gonna be fucked up but more fucked up if you put up with the asshole spouse for the sake of them! To drop the divorce rate you need therapist to talk eejits out of getting married!

Fixed... a little...