News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

Purposes and goals of mindfucks

Started by Captain Utopia, July 20, 2009, 01:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

LMNO

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on July 24, 2009, 06:42:12 PM
Quote from: fictionpuss on July 24, 2009, 01:51:42 PM
Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on July 24, 2009, 07:20:57 AM
Quote from: fictionpuss on July 22, 2009, 10:51:16 PM
Quote from: NotARealFurby on July 22, 2009, 10:39:23 PM
Quote from: Blacksaber on July 22, 2009, 06:05:00 PM
It bothers me when people make unequivocal statements about easily-verifiable things without first doing any research to make sure they are actually right.
i think the little geotia's point was
if you dont know where you are on the map,
you dont know where to start
Speaking from a radial perspective, I disagree completely. But I'm not married to that perspective, it's just a useful model.

That thing you do, where you hotlink a word in your post so that in order to pick up context or a joke one have to break one's chain of thought and tediously follow an external link, which 99% of the time turns out to be either stupid or pure laziness on your part for not including the context in your post... where did you pick up that odious habit?

I wish I were the professor of PD.com so I could flunk you for doing it.
All I was saying above is that I find one particular model useful as it seems to quite accurately categorise two methods of evaluation. I linked to that model because the terminology is not going to make much sense if are unfamiliar with it in that context. I think the model is useful because it basically says "you're both right, but in different ways, and towards slightly different types of problem"

I'm not sure how this is odious. Would you flunk wikipedia, and tvtropes too, and the rest of the internet?

All I'm saying here is that a forum post is not a reference site and shouldn't be full of hotlinks to help the author explain something they're too lazy to spell out concisely.

Yeah!  Fucking motorcycle! Lo5 in yo FACE!

Kai

I just want to say, Nigel, that the above links are probably the best rickroll scheme I have ever seen.

Got stuck there for nearly 5 minutes, laughing the whole time, finally did a force kill.  :lulz:
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Captain Utopia

Ah, so that's what it was! I never click links without taking at least a cursory look at the url.. noticing that they were both the same, I figured it was a trick and didn't bother - a bit lazy - but since such things tend to bring down my X Server and lose me hours of work, I'm glad I avoided it.

Triple Zero

if you risk hours of work cause clicking a link might bring down your XServer, you might want to do your important work in a bit more stable environment, or keep "fun" things such as this forum outside that fragile environment. just saying, because some day there will be a link you click without thinking. and no matter how convient this XServer setup you have going is now, I bet it doesnt match up to a very real chance of losing hours of work.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

the last yatto

Quote from: Kai on July 25, 2009, 03:23:59 PM
finally did a force kill.  :lulz:
at the end of the song it closes itself :fnord:
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Triple Zero on July 25, 2009, 06:57:07 PM
if you risk hours of work cause clicking a link might bring down your XServer, you might want to do your important work in a bit more stable environment, or keep "fun" things such as this forum outside that fragile environment. just saying, because some day there will be a link you click without thinking. and no matter how convient this XServer setup you have going is now, I bet it doesnt match up to a very real chance of losing hours of work.
I get what you're saying. Thing is, I'm stuck for now with an ATI card in a dual-head configuration (I can't go back to single-screen), and I have a work-related need for 3d acceleration. I'll have two konsoles up on each window with about 10 tabs, most with 'unlimited' history, all with various command histories and references. So it's not like actual data gets lost, but rather things like remembering out how I performed a various series of commands last month takes time when I can't just search and find it in context. That said, X has been a lot more stable for me with the latest kernels with the open radeon driver - I haven't crashed in a few months, but I'm still a bit wary.

Triple Zero

ah I see. what kind of work do you do that requires 3D acceleration cards?

also, if you find yourself doing "arrow-up" a lot to go through your history, it means you ought to write yourself some bash (or python or perl) scripts. i know it's a bit of a drag to do (especially if you're like me and you spend way too much time on making them all generic and shit), but once you got them, it's totally worth it. also once you got a few, most new scripts will just be variations on the old ones, so it really pays off.

and when I finally move into my new house, I'm SO gonna get myself a dual screen, hell yeah
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Triple Zero on July 25, 2009, 08:49:41 PM
ah I see. what kind of work do you do that requires 3D acceleration cards?
Gov. contract R&D. Can't be more specific, and the topics change frequently and unpredictably. More and more software requires 3D acceleration now - a few years ago having 3d acceleration was a frivolity, now I couldn't do without it!

Quote from: Triple Zero on July 25, 2009, 08:49:41 PM
also, if you find yourself doing "arrow-up" a lot to go through your history, it means you ought to write yourself some bash (or python or perl) scripts. i know it's a bit of a drag to do (especially if you're like me and you spend way too much time on making them all generic and shit), but once you got them, it's totally worth it. also once you got a few, most new scripts will just be variations on the old ones, so it really pays off.

and when I finally move into my new house, I'm SO gonna get myself a dual screen, hell yeah
I've been too lazy to do the proper scripting for a while now, or maybe I just know that I've got genericitus too so I avoid it. Not sure which is truthier, but it doesn't matter as konsole has handy search functions. Anyway, mostly it's just the results of a command that ran a few weeks ago that I'm unexpectedly interested in. Crashes used to be worse before I installed session manager on firefox e.g. I have 7 windows and >100 reference tabs open - losing that workflow was a pain.

You haven't coded until you have an entire screen to code in, and an entire screen as reference/api/etc. I tried triple-screen for a while, but I prefer two, and couldn't go back to one. Actually, when I code in java, I like to use eclipse over two screens, so I guess I could use a third for reference.. but anyway.. yeah - can't recommend two screens enough.

Triple Zero

I abhor Java, but it works for other subjects too :)

can't you be any more specific? I used to be demoscene (up until 2000, just before 3D accell really hit off) and did my masters (unfinished as yet) in computational science & visualisation, so I wonder. It's only partly true that "more and more software requries 3D accell", only software on particular subjects that already have to do with 3D graphics.

and I assume you're not coding games for the government, or screensavers, nor does your work absolutely require you to run Beryl window manager or other fancy 3D stuff :)

is your employer really that tight you can't say anything about it? like, back when I was doing my final masters thesis I was researching Learning Vector Quantization, a machine learning technique first developed by Kohonen (ALL HAIL KOHONEN). now you go.

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Captain Utopia

Well in the last year, and in no particular order, I've had contractual requirements for 3d acceleration involving: OpenModelica, UT2004, Emergent, Blender, Google Earth, and a bunch of others. Since 3d visualisation is getting easier to support, the requirement for acceleration keeps cropping up in unexpected places.

Triple Zero

ok, I still have no idea what you actually do, but it sounds like you have a pretty cool job.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Kai on July 25, 2009, 03:23:59 PM
I just want to say, Nigel, that the above links are probably the best rickroll scheme I have ever seen.

Got stuck there for nearly 5 minutes, laughing the whole time, finally did a force kill.  :lulz:

I should warn you now that I am spending the rest of my time here attempting to goatse fictionpuss.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Captain Utopia

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on July 26, 2009, 12:31:53 AM
I should warn you now that I am spending the rest of my time here attempting to goatse fictionpuss.
Sigh. What did I do to get onto your shit list? Sorry for whatever that was! How about I save everybody some time and effort and just click upon your previous attempt which had goatse.cx in the URL..

..oh. Is that it? Yup - I've seen that around. For some reason I was expecting something much much worse.