News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

Delicious intoxicating yummies anyone?

Started by Xebra, July 25, 2009, 10:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xebra

Anybody have any good Alcohol brewing recipies? Wines, spirits, etc?

Rumckle

It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Triple Zero

yeah, there are a couple more threads about this topic. use the search feature for words such as "ferment", "yeast" or "waterlock", "brew" etc.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Bruno

Formerly something else...

Sir Squid Diddimus

"The Joy of Home Brewing"

It's a book. Pick it up.

Xebra

That first mead link kicks ass.
Thanks for the help :mrgreen:

Bruno

Quote from: Squid on July 26, 2009, 05:48:31 PM
"The Joy of Home Brewing"

It's a book. Pick it up.

Excellent book, even if I was tired of reading the phrase "Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew." by the second chapter.

Xebra, if you do decide to make apple cider, use clear juice, not cloudy. The cloudy stuff is higher in pectin, which ferments into methanol, not ethanol.

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Triple Zero

Quote from: Jerry_Frankster on July 27, 2009, 06:24:57 PMXebra, if you do decide to make apple cider, use clear juice, not cloudy. The cloudy stuff is higher in pectin, which ferments into methanol, not ethanol

:? anyone with something resembling a degree in chemistry confirm that?

this is the first time I heard that. all I know is that pectin makes it harder to clear the wine/cider, and can produce off flavours.

semi-unrelated, the more I read about the actual processes, the more I get the idea that the whole methanol thing is mostly spread by people that want to scare others from homebrewing. as far as I found the only situation you need to worry about methanol is if you're an alcoholic addict and consume wayyyy too much of your own homebrewn and homedistilled vodka. the poison is in the dosage consumed in one go.

also, even if you do the distilling process completely wrong, without regarding temperatures etc, not throwing away the first bit, and all that. I worked it out with a friend who studied chemistry, it's still pretty hard to actually increase the percentage of methanol to ethanol that way, as opposed to decreasing it. at the very least the undistilled brew has the same or higher methanol/ethanol ratio as the distilled stuff. meaning that it doesn't really matter whether you consume a wineglass of mead or a shotglass of distilled alcohol with the same absolute amount of ethanol (getting you equally drunk). for reasons of going blind / methanol poisoning etc, that is.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Bruno

I believe this is where I originally picked up that little factoid:

http://homedistiller.org/methanol.htm

Triple Zero