News:

Proud member of the Vin Diesel Friendship Brigade

Main Menu

Mantis Shrimps (pic heavy)

Started by AsylumSeaker, July 27, 2009, 11:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsylumSeaker

I got myself one of these guys last week. They're Stomatopods, or Mantis Shrimp. Mine is only abour 3cm long right now. It's a peacock mantis, this species:

So far it's done a lot of hiding and scurrying in the shadows. It got trapped in the heater for a while and I thought it was dead but then it came back to life. I put some freshwater prawns in its tank and it destroyed them in seconds.

This guy is 40cm long!

Mantis shrimp info:

QuoteMantis Shrimps are neither mantids nor shrimps – they are a group of 500 species in an 'order' of their own, the stomatopoda. This order of crustacean has been around for over 400 million years, making them very ancient indeed, but if you are tempted to think that 'ancient' means 'primitive' ..... read on!

Mantis Shrimps have the most sophisticated vision in the animal world, far better than humans and streets ahead of even the birds. To begin with they have more than ten different types of receptor in their eyes (compared to our three), and this means that they can see far more colour and get information from wavelengths of light invisible to us. They can also see polarisation, and it is difficult for us to even imagine what that might be like. If you have ever used Polaroid glasses to look into water then you will have some idea of how useful this might be to a creature that lives in water. Not only does this ability enhance contrast, it also allows mantis shrimps to see transparent 'invisible' creatures and to recognise the light coming from the scales of fish. It also allows them to 'see' the phases of the moon and to predict the tides.

Each eye has three distinct parts to it, allowing the mantis shrimp to look at the same object in three different ways at once – using only one of its two eyes. Humans are rightly proud of their binocular vision, but mantis shrimps have trinocular vision in each eye. Their eyes are mounted on stalks, can move independently of one-another and are capable of the rapid, controlled jerks that allow sophisticated 'tracking' of movements. If our eyes were as big as theirs, relative to body size, they would be larger than footballs.

Mantis Shrimps get their name from the two enormous front legs. They use these to kill their prey. Some species 'spear' while others 'smash'. These limbs are incredibly powerful and Mantis Shrimps have been known to break the glass of their aquarium, which is a decidedly stupid thing to do! One Californian species can 'punch' with the force of a 22 caliber bullet. Add this to their ability to judge distances accurately and to track movements and you have a very efficient killing machine. Divers know them as 'thumb-splitters'.

whatc

Cool, didn't know you could get these as pets.

"...Mantis Shrimps have been known to break the glass of their aquarium." :lulz:

Elder Iptuous

I got one of these as a hitchiker on some live rock in my reef tank years ago.
incredibly frustrating.  it's pretty, but terribly destructive.  killed corals and fish and was annoying to get rid of because they can hide easily, and can really hurt if they tag you....

sure are pretty though...