News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

NLP

Started by Golden Applesauce, August 04, 2009, 03:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

wow, that was a quick descent into  :horrormirth:
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

LMNO

We're professionals.

Kai

Quote from: LMNO on August 07, 2009, 07:27:12 PM
We're professionals.

You know what other group has that as it's slogan?

Professionals.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

LMNO

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

Quote from: Cain on August 04, 2009, 07:29:36 AMBroken AI pretty much says it all.
He doesn't scratch the surface, but that's ok.
QuoteNLP is a pretty poor model of the mind, it must be said.
:lulz:
QuoteNeurobiologists very rarely have something kind to say about it,
This is troof. :)
Quoteand some of the hype seems to come from the nature of the group activities that seminars usually involve (getting  alot of people in one place, focused on one goal).
Never attend anything to do with NLP that has more than 12 people involved.
QuoteSome of the techniques seem to work, and it does develop a vocabulary for the use of covert persuasion and manipulation...it is just worth keeping in mind it doesn't necessarily work because of why the NLPers say it works (if indeed the technique can be made to work at all).
This could be true, be wary folks.
QuoteAlso, for some reason, lots of people into NLP are insufferable douchebags.  Those who teach it, as well as those who study it.
THIS! Some of the most amazing assholes I've found are into NLP. Generally, these types are not good NLPers, juat people that want to ream your cash out of you. They'll be the ones handing out practitioner certificates to a non-practised group of 50 people they've just mind-fucked out of £1000s for the pleasure. Ideally you want about 6-10 people in a group with a good tutor.
Synaptyclypse Generator Publishing Sect, POEE International Resource Center

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

Or read a fucking book. You can get the for free all ofer the torrent nets. ;)

Cramulus

can you reccommend one?

Cain

I recently downloaded a massive torrent about psychological manipulation, so if Syn does know a good one, no doubt it will be in there.  We could also look at it for the Book Club, if someone wanted (and because it seems to have stalled a little).

I'm personally more interested in the mentalism books, but that is just an individual preference.

Bu🤠ns

Isn't there often some crossover between mentalism and NLP?  At least in terms of the milton model and hypnosis.

Rev. St. Syn, KSC (Ret.)

There is a lot of crossover with mentalism and NLP/hypno.

Also, lots of NLP is about stealing good bits from hypnosis (modelling, lol), specifically Milton Erickson and Dave Elman, with a bit of George Estabrooks.

Books wise, if I had to recommend one for hypno, it'd be Hypnotherapy by Dave Elman. He was a contemporary and some-time rival of Milton Erickson (Who is also awesome).

For NLP, I've stuck to my tutor's guide books, which are a mish-mash of the stuff you'll find on the torrent sites by Bandler, Grinder, Steve Andreas, Tad James with a lot of the waffle excised. Also look up Time Line Therapy by Tad James a hypno/NLP technique that lessens the impact of past traumatic events.

Lies

- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

Bu🤠ns

Lies

Quote<+Lysergic> mmm
[14:53] <+Lysergic> yer
[14:53] <+Lysergic> but yeah, its not actually nlp but derren uses nlp concepts
[14:54] <+Lysergic> have you read derren browns "Tricks of the mind" yet?
[14:54] <+Lysergic> He goes into detail about what he thinks of nlp
[14:54] <+Lysergic> hes not a huge fan of it but hes taken all the useful concepts and done cool shit with it
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

Love

Quote from: Rev. St. Syn, KSC on August 24, 2009, 09:43:22 PM
THIS! Some of the most amazing assholes I've found are into NLP.

i can prove this... I'm an NLP Prac

the most amazing assholes I've found are into NLP. Generally, these types are not good NLPers, juat people that want to ream your cash out of you. They'll be the ones handing out practitioner certificates to a non-practised group of 50 people they've just mind-fucked out of £1000s for the pleasure. Ideally you want about 6-10 people in a group...

maybe, and i took a class with Bandler two summers ago and there were 160 folks in room and i found it great

Ideally you want ... a good tutor.

agreed

here's my favorite book depicting both an attitude that reflects my understanding of NLP + great case-studies of what worked in a specific instance => http://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-Machine-Tales-Neurolinguists-Journal/dp/0911226443/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251729164&sr=1-1

"NLP is an attitude and a methodology, not the trail of techniques it leaves behind" ~Richard Bandler

here's the book easiest for me to learn specific skills for specific purposes => http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Yourself-NLP-Hobbies-Sports/dp/0071602593/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251728884&sr=8-1

"Physics changes, but reality stays the same." ~Richard Bandler

12 days after i became a prac, in less than an hour, i helped a 54-year-old woman let go of her need to torture herself with visuals of her at age 6 drowning. Stifling painful for her. She used a washcloth for hygeine because showers and baths brought her images of her near death experience.

She had spent 12 years with one PsychoTheRapist, plus a couple years with a couple psychologists and her symptoms had gotten worse with each.

Not my skills, anybody with basic NLP skills would probably have helped her. Nobody who had attempted to help her deal with visuals had skills with visuals, probably because traditional psych training is based in words and treating visuals with words is like joining a drum circle with debate, it's hard for me to imagine the music working.

Captain Utopia