News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

Brewed Awakenings: The Hoegaarden Clone 08/13/09

Started by Suu, August 13, 2009, 03:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Today we're brewing a Belgian witbier based on Hoegaarden, only a little different. I'll have General Stuart give updates, as I'll be at work during most of the boiling.

Here's the base recipe we're using, subbing flaked barley for flaked wheat:

http://quantifier.org/qbrew/hoe.pdf

He's already changing it up while he steeps the grains to make the extract.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: ☠ Suu ☠ on August 13, 2009, 03:16:28 PM
Today we're brewing a Belgian witbier based on Hoegaarden, only a little different. I'll have General Stuart give updates, as I'll be at work during most of the boiling.

Here's the base recipe we're using, subbing flaked barley for flaked wheat:

http://quantifier.org/qbrew/hoe.pdf

He's already changing it up while he steeps the grains to make the extract.

One of our local brewers makes a fantastic barley based one that looks similar to that recipe... not bad. Though I'm more partial to his Oatmeal Stout. It's like Guinness without the bite at the end.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

okay then folks, especially you Squid as word through the vine is that you like to make your own bathtub booze as much as I do. Here it is, steady as she goes, Richter: hand me that bottle of ether and damn the torpedoes:

Found a recipe on the interwebs, and had to alter it to deal with what the brew supply store didn't have in stock, thus:

in the boil:
2 gallons water
1/2 lb flaked barley
1/4 rolled oats
1/2 lb aromatic malt
7 lbs wheat malt extract
2 oz orange zest
2 oz coriander seed, cracked
1 oz golding hops
1 oz saaz hops

Steep the grains for an hour, bring it to a boil and remove the grains.
1 oz golding at 60 minutes (this is a one hour boil, begin the countdown when the boil begins)
7 lbs wheat extract at 20 minutes (this minimizes caramelization for color and flavor.)
1/2 oz saaz, 1 oz coriander, and 1 oz orange zest at 15 minutes
1/2 oz saaz, 10z coriander, and 1 oz orange zest at 5 minutes

Wait for the wort to cool and add it to 3 gallons of cold water, top it up in the carboy if you need more.
Add White Labs Witbier yeast, kick the carboy around to aerate it, and let it get to work.
primary one week, secondary two weeks, bottles for 3 if you're not kegging it.
just remember to add priming sugar to get it all fizzy-like.
Flat beer sucks big floppy donkey dong.

There you have it folks, we're kegging this bitch at the Tavern event in September, we'll see how she goes!

almost the same thing as mister PDF, but probably a BIT more full-bodied in taste.

Suu

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Pope Pixie Pickle

mmmm real ale...

that Oatmeal Stout sounds proper tasty, Rat.

And General Stuarts recipie sounds gooooood.

Pixie O'Fubar... thinks bad mass produced beer should be erased from existence.

Triple Zero

mmm Hoe Garden beer is delicious.

the traditional thing to consume on a sunny afternoon on a terrace on the street outside the bar is a large cool glass of Hoegaarden white with a slice of lemon (some people consider the lemon sacrilege, but it's good).
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrowâ„¢
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Suu

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 14, 2009, 08:59:01 AM
mmm Hoe Garden beer is delicious.

the traditional thing to consume on a sunny afternoon on a terrace on the street outside the bar is a large cool glass of Hoegaarden white with a slice of lemon (some people consider the lemon sacrilege, but it's good).

Lemon is the way to go, but it's not necessary. Have you tried an orange? Orange is more popular with Blue Moon than Hoegaarden, but it's a similar beer.

Suu

No sign of fermentation yet. Should be another 24 hours or so.

Richter

Def.  The only thing I've ever seen perk after 24 hours is fruit juice loaded with sugar.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Cramulus

Suu

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson