News:

Testimonial: "None of you seem aware of quite how bad you are. I mean I'm pretty outspoken on how bad the internet has gotten, but this is up there with the worst."

Main Menu

Microsoft to patent phylogenetics.

Started by Kai, August 13, 2009, 06:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20090030925 wut

O.o

Kai,

Thinks MS is getting way too big for its own britches.

also,

.....yeah, patenting a whole biological method. Riiiiiiiight.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Soylent Green

Quote from: Kai on August 13, 2009, 06:33:58 PM

.....yeah, patenting a whole biological method. Riiiiiiiight.

So now I think I'll go and patent blowing water out of blowholes.

Then I shall amass millions of whale bucks and become king of the sea mammals.

WAHAHA!

Requia ☣

Microsoft will get its own.  They just got told by a judge they can't keep selling office because it violates another companies patents to use a software method that is at least 25 years old, yay east Texas).
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Remington

Quote from: Requia ☣ on August 14, 2009, 04:29:56 AM
Microsoft will get its own.  They just got told by a judge they can't keep selling office because it violates another companies patents to use a software method that is at least 25 years old, yay east Texas).
Hooray for instant karma!
Is it plugged in?

Triple Zero

Quote from: Requia ☣ on August 14, 2009, 04:29:56 AM

microsoft or not, that lawsuit was absolutely retarded.

this canadian company patented the usage of XML with Word (!!?) and so they went all the way to texas cause judges there are apparently good at allowing retarded patent cases.

microsoft will get its own, however, because Google will crush them.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Requia ☣

The patent is for a plaintext document and a second markup document that modifies the plaintext, nothing to do with XML per se.

And yes, east Texas judges are incredibly good at allowing retarded patent cases.  its actually remarkable MS didn't settle to avoid this, the outcome was pretty inevitable.  Its going to cost them a ton to pay the company off now.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Requia ☣ on August 14, 2009, 09:59:17 AM
The patent is for a plaintext document and a second markup document that modifies the plaintext, nothing to do with XML per se.

that sounds like either HTML/CSS or XML/XSLT, both of which are non patented standards
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Requia ☣

Like I said, there's 25 year old prior art, at least.  Never mind the applicability of the patent in the first place.  MS is a first class abuser of the system though (see them suing tom-tom for a patent on having long filenames in a file system).