News:

TESTAMONIAL:  "I was still a bit rattled by the spectacular devastation."

Main Menu

Torture OK: Racism Bad

Started by Cain, August 17, 2009, 10:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

QuoteEarly in the fight against Al Qaeda, agency officials relied heavily on American allies to help detain people suspected of terrorism in makeshift facilities in countries like Thailand. But by the time two C.I.A. officials met with Mr. Foggo in 2003, that arrangement was under threat, according to people briefed on the situation. In Thailand, for example, local officials were said to be growing uneasy about a black site outside Bangkok code-named Cat's Eye. (The agency would eventually change the code name for the Thai prison, fearing it would appear racially insensitive.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/12/us/12psychs.html

:?

Requia ☣

Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Corvidia

What a world. Maybe they were more leery of pissing off the Thai government than actual concerns about racism?
One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret never to be told.

Rumckle

Well the US seems to be trying to become friends with Thailand recently. Not 100% sure why though, maybe they want some friends in case China and the US have an argument.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Cain

I think they wanted Victor Bout, actually.

But Thailand said no, for obvious reasons, ie; Igor Sechin, major covert arms dealer for the USSR, major owner of the company which bought up Yukos along with the Russian government, and ally of Putin, was alleged to have spoken to the Thai government on Bout's behalf.  Bout served with Sechin in Mozambique in the 80s, too.