News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

A terrible book that was almost published.

Started by Lies, August 17, 2009, 01:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lies

BLURB:
QuoteMaybe once in a lifetime, there comes a book with such extraordinary characters, thrilling plot twists, and uncanny insight, that it comes to embody its time. ATLANTA NIGHTS is a book.

Quote"Bruce looked up. The tits belonged to a beautiful face carved out of ice and whipped cream, with a pair of glowing emerald eyes.  Around that perfect face was brown hair like one of those super models, all puffed up"

QuoteAtlanta Nights is a collaborative novel created by a group of science fiction and fantasy authors, with the express purpose of producing a bad piece of work of unpublishable quality to test whether publishing firm PublishAmerica would still accept it. It was accepted, but after the hoax was revealed, the publisher withdrew its offer, and the book was not published at that time.

The primary purpose of the exercise was to test PublishAmerica's claims to be a "traditional publisher" which would only accept high-quality manuscripts. Critics have long claimed that PublishAmerica is actually a vanity press which pays no special attention to the sales potential of the books they publish since most of their revenue comes from the authors rather than book buyers. PublishAmerica had previously made some highly derogatory public remarks about science fiction and fantasy writers, because many of their critics came from those communities; those derogatory remarks have influenced the decision to make such a public test of PublishAmerica's claims.

http://books.google.com/books?id=MZxhbX4vGncC&dq=atlanta+nights&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=fr&ei=RUeJSs_nLMPIkAWg9tW5Bw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4#v=onepage&q=&f=false

- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

Kai

Sounds like those guys who tested an academic journal with complete bullshit.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Requia ☣

Quote from: Kai on August 17, 2009, 01:36:28 PM
Sounds like those guys who tested an academic journal with complete bullshit.

Details?

This makes me wonder how Eye of Argon was published.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Cain

I think Kai is referring to the Sokal Hoax and the (admittedly craptastic) Social Text journal.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Epimetheus

POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

LMNO

QuoteThe tits belonged to a beautiful face carved out of ice and whipped cream...

:fap::1fap:

Kai

Quote from: Cain on August 17, 2009, 03:17:21 PM
I think Kai is referring to the Sokal Hoax and the (admittedly craptastic) Social Text journal.

Yes. 'Twas a good social experiment.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cain

Yeah.  Unfortunately it has been adopted by certain hacks to prove that all PoMo philosophy is cretinous rubbish, as opposed to the far more reasonable conclusion that (like with the Yale English Dept's adoption of a debased form of deconstruction) American literary theorists and philosophers - in particular those who wrote and edited Social Text, were mostly cretinous producers of rubbish.

But Sokal himself is not responsible for that, and the American PoMo scene did need to get their heads out of their collective arses.  Its the fault of journalists with agendas and those who do not understand campus politics, not picking up on the nuances.

Requia ☣

Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

LMNO

Cain

Postmodernism.

I prefer PoMo.  It sounds cuddly, and less pretentious.

LMNO