News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

Why is Discordia Irrelevant in the Year 2009?

Started by Cramulus, August 18, 2009, 09:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Caliginos Gnosticos

I found Eris dancing atop the hill, hair the color of spring rainbows, eyes the color of a hippy commune seen through a kaleidoscope, laughing with a sweet, gentle voice like the sound of bells recorded on a warped record and played back on an over-wound Victrola.
   "My Goddess, why do you laugh?" I asked.
   "Why do you not?" She asked in return.
   "Because life is difficult. The world is not a friendly place." I replied.
   "My poor child. I am your Goddess, and My love for you is without bounds." She giggled "Hear my words and find comfort and wisdom: Laugh in the face of adversity, and I shall laugh with you. Cry in the face of adversity, and I shall laugh at you."
   And I heard Her words and laughed.

The One Right and True Cabal of the Sacred Sock Monkey

Visit The Sock Monkey Cabal Discordian Library

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Wars would be less bloody if we shot puns at people. Or maybe they'd be more bloody. Some people don't like puns.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Caliginos Gnosticos on October 05, 2009, 10:08:27 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 05, 2009, 01:22:55 PM
Make puns, not war. 

I'd rather make war on puns. It's the best of both worlds.

This.  RWHN was born wrong, and inflicts upon us what can be best described as crimes against humanity.  He is a monster, and will stop at nothing to offend our sensibilities.  Hell, IANAR was a regular person before "the incident", and RWHN has never even apologized.  We'll have to deal with him, one fine day.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on October 05, 2009, 10:13:59 PM
Wars would be less bloody if we shot puns at people. Or maybe they'd be more bloody. Some civilized people don't like puns.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on October 05, 2009, 10:13:59 PM
Wars would be less bloody if we shot puns at people. Or maybe they'd be more bloody. Some people don't like puns.

It worked out for that guy with the skull on his t-shirt.

RWHN's secret identity.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

AFK

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 05, 2009, 10:14:47 PM
Make puns, not war.  

This.  RWHN was born wrong, and inflicts upon us what can be best described as crimes against humanity.  He is a monster, and will stop at nothing to offend our sensibilities.  Hell, IANAR was a regular person before "the incident", and RWHN has never even apologized.  We'll have to deal with him, one fine day.

When I was born, Abbot and Costello were on the TeeVee.  It was the "Who's On First" routine.  It was an omen.  This was to be my calling.  It....was......DESTINY!!

or maybe I was dropped when I came out....who knows?

Caliginos Gnosticos

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 06, 2009, 11:03:00 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 05, 2009, 10:14:47 PM
Make puns, not war.  

When I was born, Abbot and Costello were on the TeeVee.  It was the "Who's On First" routine.  It was an omen.  This was to be my calling.  It....was......DESTINY!!

or maybe I was dropped when I came out....who knows?

Or maybe it that's just what they want you to think. I'm not sure who they are, but I hear that they do a lot of those sorts of things.
I found Eris dancing atop the hill, hair the color of spring rainbows, eyes the color of a hippy commune seen through a kaleidoscope, laughing with a sweet, gentle voice like the sound of bells recorded on a warped record and played back on an over-wound Victrola.
   "My poor child. I am your Goddess, and My love for you is without bounds." She giggled "Hear my words and find comfort and wisdom: Laugh in the face of adversity, and I shall laugh with you. Cry in the face of adversity, and I shall laugh at you."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

AFK

Rococo Modem Basilisk

http://www.disinfo.com/2009/10/chaoism-an-infantile-disorder/

This article (which I have not read) appears to be applicable to this discussion. On the flipside, it may be a strawman, or it may be something we have considered already. I am leaning towards the latter, myself.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Caliginos Gnosticos

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on October 12, 2009, 11:23:45 PM
http://www.disinfo.com/2009/10/chaoism-an-infantile-disorder/

This article (which I have not read) appears to be applicable to this discussion. On the flipside, it may be a strawman, or it may be something we have considered already. I am leaning towards the latter, myself.

I just read it. It's only somewhat applicable. I think the author is painting with a rather broad brush. He also seems to have had very little experience with discordians, or at least with any that actually take it seriously. On the other hand, he lauds RAW. Yet, insofar as discordianism is concerned, he misses the point. I'd go on, but if you read it, you'll see what I mean. Personally, I think he's a good candidate for a Jake, but that's just me. I'm a mean bastard. Anyone who feels like helping to illuminate the poor soul, here's his contact information:

Nick Pell
8.5 Allen Street
Salem, Massachusetts 01970
United States
(413) 455-8913

:pax:
ALERT! ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!
OM Protocol 23 is now in effect.

Telarus

Hahahahaha.

Nick has had bad experience with fluffy Chaos-magic spags who's "minds are so open their brains have fallen out" and that's what mostly informed that rant (yah gotta realize that since the 90's the word 'Chaoism' only applies to us tangentially, and points more towards the various memes that followed Peter's Carroll's Liber Kaos, etc, etc).

Also, he's here in PDX (not Ma anymore), and knows JohnnyBrainwash and I. Nick is one of the major forces behind the Esozone unConference and is more sympathetic with the current incarnation of Discordia than the pinealist interpretations (and he nails it, really.... Pinealism is an infantile approach to Discordia, much like one can fall into an infantile interpretation of Chaos Magick, Thelema or Christianity for that matter). In the comments he mentions that this was a quickly formed and lightly edited rant, not one of his best, and the intended audience are more those "minds are open that their brains have fallen out" pagans and magicians that we see constantly railed at by the likes of TGRR and others.

It's basically a THINK FOR YOURSELF, SHCMUCK! rant. He's a good guy to have a conversation with.

I'd read back a few posts to get a better idea of what that blog is about, as well.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

AFK

So 2011 is coming soon.  Is it still relevant?  Are we still relevant?  Is anything still relevant? 

I think now more than ever, Discordia is needed.  But, I think now more than ever, Discordia would be shunned, ignored, and mocked.  I think in America it would be seen as a brand of intellectual elitism, even though I think it encapsulates some pretty straightforward, easy-to-digest philosophies. 

Aside from the whole worship of a female Deity thing, Conservatives should, in theory, like us because Think For Yourself, Schmuck is definitely quite antithetical to Let The Government Think For You, Sucker.  But then again, they haven't realized yet that they've pretty much signed over their thought-making to their favorite pundits. 

The Machinetm is still churning right along.  It doesn't show any signs of slowing down or shifting course.  If anything, it seems like the gears are gnashing even louder.