News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

Unlimited WINDOWS 7 Memetic-Fail Thread

Started by Telarus, September 29, 2009, 07:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

Quote from: 'some spag on slashdot'Most advertisements only evoke one or two emotions. This one manages to make me feel despair, disgust, fear, and rage, all at the same time.

[Microsoft has] truly taken it to the next level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cX4t5-YpHQ
:facepalm:

On the other hand, this was pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyas7BrbUFY
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Cramulus

Quote from: Telarus on September 29, 2009, 07:42:49 AM

ah jeez

I was just reading The Society of the Spectacle

and I think this is exactly what DeBoard was warning us about

software launch as a reason to "party"???
the event isn't "real" unless it's digitally recorded for others to "experience" by proxy

the forced illusion that this is how people act

and the sad thing is, people actually will do this
SOMEBODY'S going to have a Windows 7 launch party

SPECTACULAR

I'm watcihng this vid right now, and they're talking about how exciting it is to share the windows7 features with your friends
I seriously want to hurl

Precious Moments Zalgo

I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Requia ☣

Trolls and astroturfers.  Has to be.  My continued lack of homicidal rampages requires I think of those links that way.

I should start hitting the job market again soon, lots of HR people who will think my 'experience' with windows 7 will be worth something.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Cramulus on September 29, 2009, 02:59:08 PM

ah jeez

the event isn't "real" unless it's digitally recorded for others to "experience" by proxy

SPECTACULAR

I'm watcihng this vid right now, and they're talking about how exciting it is to share the windows7 features with your friends
I seriously want to hurl

To look at it from the other side of the coin, people love to party but feel that they shouldn't without having a good reason to.  Think of this as an excuse for people who know the difference between an icon and a file to have fun?  For the beleaguered community of people who have to develop software for Windows to get together and hope that maybe this time it will be different?

And if the people are actually installing 7 at the party, simply being around other people who are also installing 7 will help everybody get over the inevitable "WTF IS THIS UI, MICROSOFT?!?!!" moments.

Fun fact: At my university, they recently instituted a requirement that all mac and windows boxes be running Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 and a Cisco Access Control Agent or something in order to connect to the school network.  SEP 11 does not work on Windows 7 and won't for some time.  Who is running Windows 7?  CompSci students who are beta testing the release.

Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Cramulus

Quote from: GA on September 29, 2009, 04:06:09 PM
To look at it from the other side of the coin, people love to party but feel that they shouldn't without having a good reason to.  Think of this as an excuse for people who know the difference between an icon and a file to have fun?  For the beleaguered community of people who have to develop software for Windows to get together and hope that maybe this time it will be different?

And if the people are actually installing 7 at the party, simply being around other people who are also installing 7 will help everybody get over the inevitable "WTF IS THIS UI, MICROSOFT?!?!!" moments.

yes, it's a good stand-in for people who genuinely crave an authentic experience with other human beings, but have forgotten how to do that because the only thing going on in their life is the Windows 7 release.

it's still the diet coke of human experience

from http://houseparty.com/windows7usa

Now that you're a host, you might be wondering "How does this all work?"
    * Select a theme – Whichever day you choose for your party between October 22 - 29, when sending your party invitations, choose from Setting Up With Ease, Family Friendly Fun, Media Mania, or PhotoPalooza
    * Prepare to be a Windows® 7 expert – Watch the Host Help Videos and download the Host Notes for click by click instructions to do everything you see in the videos.
    * Plan your party – Decide what to serve and where to show Windows® 7.
    * Party Now — Your party may be weeks away, but the fun starts today! Send invites; post comments; upload photos and videos.

it's that last line that really kills me. That the FUN of the party is posting comments and uploading videos!

ahhhhhhhhhhghghghghghg I just got hit with the irony
of commiserating with you guys on an internet forum about how human experience is getting watered down by inauthenticity

if it makes my post any more authentic, my ennui is real!  :lulz:

AFK

Clearly Microsoft is promoting drinking.  I mean how else would you get someone to go to a Microsoft Windows party?  Now, how to use this to my advantage...
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Requia ☣ on September 29, 2009, 03:44:15 PMTrolls and astroturfers.  Has to be.
Looks like there are going to be thousands of these parties, with hundreds in my area alone.

Quote from: Requia ☣ on September 29, 2009, 03:44:15 PMMy continued lack of homicidal rampages requires I think of those links that way.
Wait, nevermind, forget I said anything.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cramulus on September 29, 2009, 04:14:12 PM

it's that last line that really kills me. That the FUN of the party is posting comments and uploading videos!

ahhhhhhhhhhghghghghghg I just got hit with the irony
of commiserating with you guys on an internet forum about how human experience is getting watered down by inauthenticity

if it makes my post any more authentic, my ennui is real!  :lulz:

You should also post a Facebook status about it. Nothing in your life is Real unless at least one other person "likes" it. A comment or two makes it even more real.

Captain Utopia

If only they had hired Ben Mack to help with the marketing. Oh wait, is that where he went to?

Shibboleet The Annihilator

1) This has nothing to do with politics.
2) Holy fuckballs, that video is terrible!
3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0fhg1LgVCg
4) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LfeHbTkz6k
5) Actually, Windows 7 is pretty good.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Quote from: GA on September 29, 2009, 04:06:09 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on September 29, 2009, 02:59:08 PM

ah jeez

SPECTACULAR

I seriously want to hurl

Fun fact: At my university, they recently instituted a requirement that all mac and windows boxes be running Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 and a Cisco Access Control Agent or something in order to connect to the school network.  SEP 11 does not work on Windows 7 and won't for some time.  Who is running Windows 7?  CompSci students who are beta testing the release.

I'm running Windows 7 and I love it (I hated Vista and was ambivalent towards XP). To date my favorite OSes are Crunchbang linux (variant of Ubuntu), OS X 10.5 and Windows 7 in a 3 way tie. Some drivers seem to have some catching up to do, but I still like it a lot and have had few problems. I don't use any Cisco programs (I do like their routers though).