News:

Your innocence proves nothing.

Main Menu

Michael Moore's New Movie

Started by Jenne, September 30, 2009, 04:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

There's no thread started on it yet, so here I am, jumpin in.

He's been toting the clips around the talking bobblehead shows, and he told Bill Maher he expects a "revolution" or something to that effect...

I think he'll be sorely disappointed if that's what he believes.  I think this will be like Sicko and Roger & Me...something to make people go "hm" but nothing that will be any more than some buzz.  I think Bowling for Columbine got more responses from people, mostly because of the Marilyn Manson coverage, and the fact that it was about the gruesome twosome.

Personally I don't ascribe to A LOT of what Moore says, but I find him interesting as a detractor nonetheless.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Jenne on September 30, 2009, 04:40:50 PM
There's no thread started on it yet, so here I am, jumpin in.

He's been toting the clips around the talking bobblehead shows, and he told Bill Maher he expects a "revolution" or something to that effect...

I think he'll be sorely disappointed if that's what he believes.  I think this will be like Sicko and Roger & Me...something to make people go "hm" but nothing that will be any more than some buzz.  I think Bowling for Columbine got more responses from people, mostly because of the Marilyn Manson coverage, and the fact that it was about the gruesome twosome.

Personally I don't ascribe to A LOT of what Moore says, but I find him interesting as a detractor nonetheless.

yep, he seems as willing to twist perception as much as any other spag... but he usually makes some decent arguments or at least brings a magnifying glass in to look at the bullshit.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Jenne

LMNO

But he usually has to make a really big leap to "make his point", and as soon as he does that, his credibility (for many) is shot... because if he got that bit wrong, it tends to throw the rest of the film in doubt.

Jenne

Well, I think he uses hyperbole to ill effect, really.  He comes off as fair and balanced as Fox News, and pretends he's better than them.  He's not, he's spinning as much as they are--he'd seem more genuine if he just copped to that fact and made it known he knows what he ends up looking like--not the crusader for justice he is pretending to be.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Jenne on September 30, 2009, 04:40:50 PM
I saw him on Maher, he kind of stumbled when he was trying to make the argument about how we should keep democracy, but ditch capitalism. I think he was trying to make the well-worn point that because corporations have no motivation to do anything other than make as much money asap, they invariably end up screwing everyone involved with them. I think the democracy angle was thrown in there to suggest that "the people" should be able to have a more direct and involved say in what rights we extend to corporations, and to enforce accountability where appropriate.

Not sure how much hope to hold that the movie would make this point any better, as he seemed to have all the eloquence of a G20 protester. Money bad. Rah! Rah!

Eater of Clowns

Moore makes about one spot-on point in each of his movies that gets buried beneath over the top stunts and ridiculous publicity grabs.  In Sicko he interviews a guy whose job it was to go back through health coverage the company has paid for and find reasons why it won't be covered - kind've fucked up.  He has a funny segment where he juxtaposes arguments against national health care with examples of it working elsewhere.  Then he pulls a stunt by bringing 9/11 firefighters to Guantanamo Bay for health care.

He's also either the biggest douche ever or his intention gets lost in the shuffle.  His interviews with Dick Clark and Charlton Heston, in Sicko and Bowling for Columbine respectively, were painful to watch.  He either, very stupidly, expected the spokesman/figurehead to answer for serious ethical concerns on the topic or wanted to demonstrate that these are just ignorant old men who have no idea what they're standing for.

I actually dug Bowling for Columbine quite a bit overall, though.  As condemning as he is towards several factors contributing to the shooting, he ultimately concludes that none of the arguments have any more merit than something completely arbitrary.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Triple Zero

for those who don't care enough about Moore to google whatever his latest movie is about, what is his latest movie about?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Dimocritus

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 30, 2009, 10:51:12 PM
for those who don't care enough about Moore to google whatever his latest movie is about, what is his latest movie about?

"Capitalism: A Love Story"
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Didn't really read this thread but I popped in to say, "Fuck Michael Moore."

rong

how much money do you figure he's gonna make off this movie?
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Captain Utopia

Quote from: rong on October 01, 2009, 07:33:43 AM
how much money do you figure he's gonna make off this movie?
Just enough to fund his next movie about how it's really the Democrats who prevented the uninevitable rebellion this movie predicted.

Cain

Daily reminder: Michael Moore is fat, invalidating all his opinions.

rong

Quote from: Cain on October 01, 2009, 10:27:43 AM

i bet he knows where to get a good donut
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Dimocritus

Quote from: Cain on October 01, 2009, 10:27:43 AM

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"