News:

Testimonial: "It's just honestly sad that a place like this exists"

Main Menu

Error There Has Been!

Started by ~, October 04, 2009, 12:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

well, not you.

I mean, all of your ideas are utterly perfect so obviously no input or criticism is ever necessary.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 05, 2009, 03:56:59 AM
well, not you.

I mean, all of your ideas are utterly perfect so obviously no input or criticism is ever necessary.

It wasn't my thread.

But, by all means, carry on telling us all how worthless we all are compared to this paragon of a noob.  I mean, if he's vandalizing bibles, he must be the very incarnation of Eris herself.  I am naked and ashamed to be in his presence.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Kai

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 05, 2009, 03:52:29 AM
Quote from: Kai on October 05, 2009, 01:16:44 AM

Dude. Everyone gets flamed here for something once in a while. Best not to take it personally. If you do, you won't make it, cause taking things personally just makes you more of a target.

And yes, yes we do. Forum full of professional trolls.

I'm sorry, Kai. you seem to have mistakenly logged on to PD.com instead of FuckedCompany.

I'm sorry too, because I never was a member of FC, nor can I ever remember a time where we haven't been hard on newbies. And possibly thats not how things should be, and I'm a bad shameful person for following the mob. If you notice, I cam into this thread saying WTF is this shit.

Don't have anything else to say.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on October 05, 2009, 04:03:00 AM

Dude. Everyone gets flamed here for something once in a while. Best not to take it personally. If you do, you won't make it, cause taking things personally just makes you more of a target.

I'm sorry, Kai. you seem to have mistakenly logged on to PD.com instead of FuckedCompany.

I'm sorry too, because I never was a member of FC, nor can I ever remember a time where we haven't been hard on newbies. And possibly thats not how things should be, and I'm a bad shameful person for following the mob. If you notice, I cam into this thread saying WTF is this shit.

Well, obviously, we're bad people and bad Discordians to boot.  Hence the need for a public dressing down over a 3rd rate noob.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 05, 2009, 03:58:53 AM
Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 05, 2009, 03:56:59 AM
well, not you.

It wasn't my thread.

But, by all means, carry on telling us all how worthless we all are compared to this paragon of a noob.  I mean, if he's vandalizing bibles, he must be the very incarnation of Eris herself.  I am naked and ashamed to be in his presence.

I don't think the uselessness of the noob's idea has any bearing on your normal response to anyone who doesn't have the requisite amount of "cred" when they choose to offer input on your ideas.

I also think (and this is maybe more at kai than you) that there's a world of difference between not being intellectually coddling towards noobs and just outright being a dick to them BECAUSE they're noobs. I suspect that if I offered up an idea that turned out to be mostly useless, your criticisms might be phrased more tactfully, so why is that courtesy so frequently NOT extended to the very people we rely upon to keep this board from stagnating (IOW, fresh blood)?

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 05, 2009, 04:07:23 AM

I don't think the uselessness of the noob's idea has any bearing on your normal response to anyone who doesn't have the requisite amount of "cred" when they choose to offer input on your ideas.

Oh, we're back to this already, are we?  Again, it wasn't my idea the noob shat all over, but why let that stop you?  I mean, this is a chance for you to beat your chest and demonstrate your alpha dominance schtick.

Kai

I also think (and this is maybe more at kai than you) that there's a world of difference between not being intellectually coddling towards noobs and just outright being a dick to them BECAUSE they're noobs. I suspect that if I offered up an idea that turned out to be mostly useless, your criticisms might be phrased more tactfully, so why is that courtesy so frequently NOT extended to the very people we rely upon to keep this board from stagnating (IOW, fresh blood)?

In a word: habituation.

And I do feel bad about it....considering I used to be the nicest person around here.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 05, 2009, 04:04:10 AM
Quote from: Kai on October 05, 2009, 04:03:00 AM

Well, obviously, we're bad people and bad Discordians to boot.  Hence the need for a public dressing down over a 3rd rate noob.

FWIW, there are going to be alot more public dressings-down unleashed around here, and only a tiny percentage of them will likely be aimed at you. I know everyone gets all huffy when I try to have an influence on the culture and direction of, y'know, my own website, but I actually don't give a shit since I'm more concerned about the culture and direction of this site than I am about anyone here's personal opinion of me.

I also have a suspicion that there's a silent majority out there who agree with me and aren't interested in taking the heat from a vocal minority for voicing that agreement, and that's OK too. I don't mind taking the heat.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 05, 2009, 04:11:15 AM
FWIW, there are going to be alot more public dressings-down unleashed around here, and only a tiny percentage of them will likely be aimed at you. I know everyone gets all huffy when I try to have an influence on the culture and direction of, y'know, my own website, but I actually don't give a shit since I'm more concerned about the culture and direction of this site than I am about anyone here's personal opinion of me.

I also have a suspicion that there's a silent majority out there who agree with me and aren't interested in taking the heat from a vocal minority for voicing that agreement, and that's OK too. I don't mind taking the heat.

Oh, boy, here we go.

El Presidente has spoken, and the new regime has arrived.

For Chrissakes.

TGRR,
Remembers someone else referencing a "silent majority" some decades back.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 05, 2009, 04:09:23 AM

Oh, we're back to this already, are we?  Again, it wasn't my idea the noob shat all over, but why let that stop you?  I mean, this is a chance for you to beat your chest and demonstrate your alpha dominance schtick.

Yeah, I just read the thread in question. And I didn't see him "shit all over" anything. in fact, I haven't seen him do that anywhere on PD, though my infrequent visits lately don't allow me to say that with any certainty.

I did, however, see you shit all over him for basically nothing more than not liking his idea. If calling you out on that is an "alpha dominance schtick" then I guess I'm guilty. Whether you choose to overreact and make it personal is entirely up to you but I can warn you that it will leave you feeling unsatisfied since I'm not here often enough to engage in our yearly bout of verbal sparring right now.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 05, 2009, 04:13:04 AM

Oh, boy, here we go.

For Chrissakes.

TGRR,

surely you can insult me in a more entertaining manner.

The Good Reverend Roger

So tell me when I lose the plot:  We will all be nice to all noobs from now on, so they can spray their edgy and pinealist shit all over the furniture, in an effort to gain new blood, because the old blood is useless.   We'll just bend over backwards to be nice as hell to the Cowasses and DKs and AKKs, and let them turn this into another 23AE/Lovecrafty board, because it's painfully obvious that we haven't had a new user since 2005.

And those who don't like it will be PUBLICLY dressed down.  "Lots more".

This is gonna be AWESOME.  I am so totally onboard with this.  Lead on, Generalissimo!  You shall lead us into a bright new future, with Myspace accounts for all!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on October 05, 2009, 04:17:08 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 05, 2009, 04:13:04 AM

Oh, boy, here we go.

For Chrissakes.

TGRR,

surely you can insult me in a more entertaining manner.

Don't have to, even if that was my intent, which it wasn't.  Just read your own words.

QuoteFWIW, there are going to be alot more public dressings-down unleashed around here

Oh, yeah.  This is gonna be TITS.

Captain Utopia

I suspect that if I offered up an idea that turned out to be mostly useless, your criticisms might be phrased more tactfully, so why is that courtesy so frequently NOT extended to the very people we rely upon to keep this board from stagnating (IOW, fresh blood)?
Is there an example of a community where this does not happen? Is it even desirable - at what point does the energy required to approach an "ideal" meritocracy outweigh the benefits?

East Coast Hustle

the problem with your line of reasoning is that I'd rather have a board with 10 people who actually DO stuff and have discussions that are more than the same superficial shit everyone else is talking about (and FWIW I'd consider you one of those people) than a board with 2000+ people posting 90% youtube links, rephrasing of blogosphere-generated armchair politics, and reasons to waste their time harassing smaller, less significant forums.

If you want to influence my thinking, you're not going about it the right way.

also, if you can step back a bit you'll probably notice that I'm not saying everyone needs to be nice to noobs, just that, as in almost all other areas of life, constructive criticism usually yields better results than pointless dickishness.