News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

A good way to make yourself eligible for a braining with a barstool

Started by BabylonHoruv, October 06, 2009, 02:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Kai

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on October 06, 2009, 02:00:10 AM
http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html

This suggests, pretty plausibly, that we are, in fact, living inside a simulation.
[/quote

Except regardless of philosophical masturbation, there's no physical evidence to support this.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Telarus

I prefer RAW's reality tunnel model.

Yes, there probably is a "really real" Reality out there, but we can never experience it in a completely unmediated fashion. We experience the simulation our minds present us with, but that doesn't mean Reality isn't out-there. We ourselves are the simulation mechanism.

This is also what I think the Taoists and the savvier Buddhists realize. All is illusion/Maya, but that shit still hurts when it hits you in the head.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Kai on October 06, 2009, 02:04:38 AM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on October 06, 2009, 02:00:10 AM
http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html

This suggests, pretty plausibly, that we are, in fact, living inside a simulation.
[/quote

Except regardless of philosophical masturbation, there's no physical evidence to support this.

Nope, it's based on statistical analysis rather than empirical evidence.  Pretty much any arguement about the basic nature of reality has to be.

-Dok Howl

Template

Kai

Quote from: yhnmzw on October 06, 2009, 02:16:48 AM
For all occupants, what's the difference?

Excuse me, I meant the above quote. If I can't determine via my senses or technology as an extension of my senses that the universe is a simulation and it has absolutely no impact or difference on my life whether I know if it is or if it isn't since I can't experience anything any different than the universe as it is nor can I change it or interact with whatever is outside the simulation, then it is completely meaningless bullshit as something to care about.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Rumckle

Quote from: Kai on October 06, 2009, 02:20:39 AM
.... it is completely meaningless bullshit as something to care about.

This is true for a lot of philosophy, it's still fun though
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

BabylonHoruv

Which behaviors have a higher value as far as continued survival is concerned.

Behaviors with a high survival rating in a purely mechanistic universe resembling ours could be very different from the sort of behaviors that are preferred by whoever is running our simulation.  Not in the low level don't go dancing with rabid timberwolves sense, but more the are you going to be better off with this plan or that underlying your long term decisions.

-Dok Howl

Kai

I'm sorry, this whole thing is so full of The Matrix bullshit I can't even entertain it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Kai on October 06, 2009, 02:39:34 AM
I'm sorry, this whole thing is so full of The Matrix bullshit I can't even entertain it.

Good.  It's not just me, then.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Johnny

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on October 06, 2009, 02:23:08 AM

Behaviors with a high survival rating in a purely mechanistic universe resembling ours could be very different from the sort of behaviors that are preferred by whoever is running our simulation.  Not in the low level don't go dancing with rabid timberwolves sense, but more the are you going to be better off with this plan or that underlying your long term decisions.

Perhaps dancing with rabid timberwolves while on fire is way more entertaining to whomever is "running our simulation".

But thats a small assumption isnt it?

******* Edit addage*****

Quoteat least one of the following propositions is true: (1) The fraction of human-level civilizations that reach a posthuman stage is very close to zero; (2) The fraction of posthuman civilizations that are interested in running ancestor-simulations is very close to zero; (3) The fraction of all people with our kind of experiences that are living in a simulation is very close to one.

The third proposition is just trolling, please.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Rumckle

I find it logical, though pointless, and very much philosophical wankery, but logical
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Suu

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 06, 2009, 02:40:11 AM
Quote from: Kai on October 06, 2009, 02:39:34 AM

Good.  It's not just me, then.

Good thing I took the blue pill.

...So it's 4 hours until I need to seek medical attention, right?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Golden Applesauce

His theory requires a second universe, if our universe is to be merely a simulation run from somewhere.

There is no reason to presume that the simulating universe would have any characteristics in common with our own.  Presuming that an intelligence of some sort would be running this simulation, he makes the implicit claim that this unknown intelligence would choose to simulate a universe similar to his own.  Even granting a humanlike intelligence, this is not a trivial assertion - a philosopher, physicist, or fiction writer would all find running possible worlds more interesting than the same ancestor simulation over and over again.  And granting a human-like intelligence is absurd, unless we make the assertion that no being clever enough to be able to simulate another mind would be creative enough to simulate a mind different from his own.  Intelligence itself is not necessary - a particularly bizarre set of natural laws might allow such a simulation to occur spontaneously!

So all of his conjectures about numbers of civilizations (why civilizations?  why not individuals?  why presume technological levels are necessary?  why assume more than one exists?) whether such a civilization would be able to run a simulation (since the simulation would be run from a different universe, we have no information on how much matter is present in that universe to construct computers - or even if that universe contains matter or some other substrate upon which computations can be done) are done in the complete absence of information, since they are conjectures about a universe which is not known.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on October 06, 2009, 02:23:08 AM

Do you have a method for determining what those alternative actions might be?  If not, then they are unknowable, and impossible to act upon, greatly limiting the usefulness of the theory.

If you do.... you're a theist.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.