News:

You have [3] new messages in your inbox

Main Menu

What is this?

Started by AFK, October 08, 2009, 11:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

It's like it is 1843 all over again.  The gap between the haves and the have-nots is growing, and now, it is costing lives.  The brains at Harvard University have said there are 45,000 people a year dying, simply because they don't have the health insurance to cover what could be very routine procedures.  And these are all have-nots.  People without insurance are 44% more likely to die compared to people who do have insurance.  It is increasing every year, and when we arrive at 2022 it will be well over 50%.  Again, the have nots.  

When I grew up, I was taught about how in this country we take care of each other.  We help the poor and the needy to be fed, clothed, and sheltered, and yes, have a modicum of health.  Yet, what we are learning now is that many of the haves will not have even a pittance of their vast gobs of wealth go to helping these poor people.  And these poor people are not just the dirty, "undesirable" beggars.  They are people who until recently had burgeoning careers.  These are middle class people, who in the blink of an eye, became pink slipped into freeze-dried, instant poverty.  And the first thing to go is health insurance.

I come home and feel very lucky that we are able to still provide this essential basic for our daughter, and for each other.  But I could lose it all tomorrow.  It boils me with anger to see politicians work to ensure the insurers, and not help the helpless.  It fills me with rage to see these witless dupes shouting in the middle of townhalls, supporting these bastards who will drop someone who was screened to be genetically pre-disposed to a disease and deem it a "pre-existing conditon."  Dear lord, what have we come to?

Mom, Dad, this isn't the America you brought me up in.  This isn't the America you told me about.  Someone took my country away, locked it in a box, doused it with gasoline, and then burnt it beyond recognition.  I would like a new one please.....please?
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

AFK

There's a young lad wandering the street.
He doesn't want to go home, he can't go home, not yet. 
He needs to come down first.
Yep, high again.
He is not up for another lecture.
Although, maybe, it's time to listen and to get help.

There's a father pacing the living room.
His son isn't home, won't come home, not yet.
Probably waiting to come down first.
High again?  Yep.
Dad doesn't want to give him another lecture.
Although, maybe, this time he'll listen and get help.

"ACME Health Care, Dave speaking."
"That's great.  Good that he is ready to get help now.  Let me check your policy...
...oh....um, I'm sorry sir....it looks like we don't cover that.  Best of luck to you though!"

"Good evening Mr. Jones.  My name is Officer Gordon, it's about your son...may I come in?"

Payne

Ari

I like this new Apple Talk!
When I get back home in a few hours I will join the creative train to the madlands.
パンクビッチ

LMNO

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 08, 2009, 12:06:48 PM
There's a young lad wandering the street.
He doesn't want to go home, he can't go home, not yet. 
He needs to come down first.
Yep, high again.
He is not up for another lecture.
Although, maybe, it's time to listen and to get help.

There's a father pacing the living room.
His son isn't home, won't come home, not yet.
Probably waiting to come down first.
High again?  Yep.
Dad doesn't want to give him another lecture.
Although, maybe, this time he'll listen and get help.

"ACME Health Care, Dave speaking."
"That's great.  Good that he is ready to get help now.  Let me check your policy...
...oh....um, I'm sorry sir....it looks like we don't cover that.  Best of luck to you though!"

"Good evening Mr. Jones.  My name is Officer Gordon, it's about your son...may I come in?"

Damn, that's good.  This, plus the OP, is like a one-two punch to the face.

AFK

I probably should've put this in Or Kill Me or in Aneristic Dilusions.  I've been pissed about this whole Health Care Reform sham all along, but last night I watched/listened to Keith Olbermann's hour-long Special Comment on the thing, and it really just pissed me off even more.  I mean, goddamnit, there are 45,000 people a year dying because they don't have health insurance.  45,000.  No knock against the 9/11 victims but that was what 3000?  And how many tears were shed for them in countless memorials.  Fuck, we're still having memorials for them now!!  Where are the memorials for these poor 45,000 saps who died because the costs have been so jacked up, the only way to get care is to have an insurance policy.  And people are worried about Uncle Sam taking a few extra bucks to help these people?  What the hell is wrong with people?  Do people understand when they stand up and yell and all that shit they are working to protect these terrorists?  Because that's what they are.  Fucking terrorists!  I mean really, Al Qaeda would be creaming in their pants if they could kill 45,000 Americans a year, and have an established government give them the green light!

Darth Cupcake

Oohh. This give me the chills. Seriously, I really really like it. The second post I found to be particularly powerful.

I actually really like how all these ranty-esque things have been showing up in Apple Talk... I like blurring the line between signal and noise. I think it encourages us to work a little signal even into our frivolous noise.

I might also be blowing it out my ass, but that's how it is for me at least. :wink:
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Richter

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on October 08, 2009, 01:22:36 PM
I mean really, Al Qaeda would be creaming in their pants if they could kill 45,000 Americans a year, and have an established government give them the green light!

I said it somewhere before somewhere; do NOT bomb a country if you want to hurt them, contribute to the slow degradation of public services, public education, roads and infrastructure. 

Explosives only get you noticed and targeted.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus