News:

What about those weed gangsters that are mad about you giving speeches in Bumfuck, Maine?

Main Menu

Your Favorite Cold Soup

Started by Shai Hulud, October 09, 2009, 10:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shai Hulud

Post it here, and the recipe if you feel like.

This summer I made vichyssoise a couple times and it turned out really well, although I haven't got access to a food processor so can't make it any more.  Of course, my favorite is gazpacho, which I have no idea how to make but enjoy immensely.

LMNO

Well, Summer's almost gone, but if I find some good tomatoes I'll post my favorite gazpacho recipe.

Triple Zero

I found gazpacho to be really tricky. Somehow it's quite hard to get the flavour just right and not end up with a pinkish puke-coloured vegetable slush puppie. Then again, we didn't really follow a recipe but just sort of guesstimated.

What's vichyssoise and tell us yuor recipe?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

vichyssoise = Cold leek and potato soup.

It tastes better than it sounds.

Shai Hulud

Quote from: LMNO on October 09, 2009, 01:07:58 PM

Indeed it does!  I had it for the first time last spring and was very surprised at how delicious it is, and moreover how simple it is to make.

The way I made it was to chop up 2 leeks, 1 onion and 2 or 3 potatoes; sautee them all on a low heat for about 15 minutes; then add about 2 cups of chicken stock, salt and garlic and cook on low-medium heat for about 30 minutes more.  Then pour the contents into a food processor and blend it, then mix in 1 cup of heavy whipping cream and allow to chill overnight.

Triple Zero

e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Eater of Clowns

I like cucumber yoghurt soups for cold soups.

I can't pin down if Indian Raita is a soup or not though.  Some serve it as soup and some serve it as sauce.   :argh!:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

In summer I sometimes make a strawberry soup that the children adore.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: Guy_Incognito on October 09, 2009, 01:57:39 PM
Quote from: LMNO on October 09, 2009, 01:07:58 PM

Indeed it does!  I had it for the first time last spring and was very surprised at how delicious it is, and moreover how simple it is to make.

The way I made it was to chop up 2 leeks, 1 onion and 2 or 3 potatoes; sautee them all on a low heat for about 15 minutes; then add about 2 cups of chicken stock, salt and garlic and cook on low-medium heat for about 30 minutes more.  Then pour the contents into a food processor and blend it, then mix in 1 cup of heavy whipping cream and allow to chill overnight.

That is deceptively simple. I'm gonna have to make it next summer, cept switch cream with milk.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Triple Zero

making the vichyvoisse now.

except I made a mistake, I don't think I sauteed but more stewed the vegetables.

and I was too lazy to skin the potatoes, but they're gonna get blended anyway.

and I'm using porcino mushroom broth instead of chicken, cause my gf is vegetarian.

aaaaand I don't think I'll have time to cool it for tonight, but I will have leftovers, try it cooled tomorrow and tell you if it was better :)

Triple Zero

on the other hand, sauteeing would brown the veggies even more, they're already browned a bit, and from the pictures I saw on wikipedia, the stuff is supposed to look white. but I think even after adding cream, it will be more of a yellowish colour.

right now the stuff is cooling in the sink with some water, then I will add cream (and some sour cream I have leftover that I want to use up) and blend the stuff.

Corvidia

Considering how much I've always like potato-leek soup, I'm going to have to try that. I'm going to use veggie stock instead of chicken or mushroom, and I'll post the results (in case there's any other vegetarian here who loathes mushrooms).

One that I really, really like is called black bean and salsa soup. It's good hot or cold and if you use less liquid, it makes a good dip, too. However, I add more cumin and a bit of chilli powder to it, which I like better than the original recipe.
One for sorrow,
Two for joy,
Three for a girl,
Four for a boy,
Five for silver,
Six for gold,
Seven for a secret never to be told.

Shai Hulud

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 10, 2009, 08:29:54 PM

and I was too lazy to skin the potatoes, but they're gonna get blended anyway.

Actually, I did it this way too, although I think you are probably supposed to peel them i didn't notice it effect the taste very much.  I always eat the skin on my potatoes anyway, that's where all the vitamins are!  Also, that mushroom/veggie stock idea is an interesting one, how did that work out for you TripleZero and Corvida?

Glad to see this recipe piqued everybody's interest!  I will definitely be trying some of the other soups suggested in this thread.

Triple Zero

well, it was kind of good, the taste was excellent. except I think if you really want to make it properly, you should press it through a sieve after blending it, cause you can never quite obliterate all the tough leek bits.

our problem with it was, however, that the texture was a lot like sauce. and without anything to dip in it, I don't like spooning sauce into my face :)

so I only had one bowl (it fills!) and a few days later, I did this:

I boiled some more potatoes, sauteed some coarsely chopped shallots, and some canned (myeah, I had it lying around) green beans, spread those at the bottom of a buttered oven dish. Then I took the soup/sauce, and a good chunk of gorgonzola, warmed it up just enough for the gorgonzola to dissolve, let cool a littlebit, added 4 eggs. This sauce/gorgonzola/egg/gunk goes nicely on top of the stuff in the oven dish, which goes into the preheated oven, first 15-20 minutes covered with aluminium foil, then another 15-20 until you think it's done.

This was awesome and delicious.

Also, gorgonzola is awesome and delicious, and should be a required extra ingredient in this soup sauce gunk.