News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

Film Flam

Started by Dimocritus, October 15, 2009, 11:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scribbly

If I didn't know the story going in, there was no way I would understand what the fuck I was watching.

There was no characterization for the majority of the cast. The movie leaves you in absolutely no doubt from about halfway through about who the culprit is, because they show nearly nobody else.

The start is very slow. After that, it cuts about with no real regard to storytelling or explanation.

They slice out whole subplots, including one character (the journalist, name escapes me) - but they mention that character's name in a rant at the end. Completely left field.

The movie is made of flashbacks; the best scene happens about ten minutes in, but you see it three or four times throughout, over and over, which just wasn't necessary.

Random homosexuality felt like a real grab for the 'shock' market. There's one particular place I am sure is an addition for the film, not in the book, which radically changes a character.

And they changed the ending to remove the final mystery. Oh, and the explanation as to why the entire thing happens is sanitized for an American market.

The acting was very strong. It was particularly nice to see many characters who were not 'hollywood pretty'. The camerawork was also very good, and there were some shots which were excellent.

But as a movie, it was god-awful. A major let down because most reviews seem to be coming out positive.

(Tried to keep the above as spoiler-free as possible)

Edited for clarity - by 'the acting is very strong' and 'there is no characterization', I mean that the characters we get to meet are portrayed very well. But you only really get a feel for maybe four or five of them.
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Cain

I did wonder how sanitized that particular aspect would be, for an American audience.

From the sound of it, it sounds like a semi-decent spy thriller, so long as you don't think of it as Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Scribbly

I could be biased, that's definitely possible. But the manner of the storytelling was very confusing; I didn't feel that anything was very well explained at all, so you suddenly had people going to places and doing things with little apparent reason behind it. The atmosphere was strong, the sets and costuming was, I suppose, pretty amazing... but I felt it fell flat as an actual piece of storytelling.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of it if you do go see it.
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Cain

I'm definitely looking to go see it.  I might go a week on Wednesday, assuming I can sort out my bank details in order to get my oyster card.  Ideally, I would have liked to go this Wednesday, but the aforementioned bank and oyster card things need to be sorted out, and I may need my day off to do it all.

Xooxe

Saw Lars Trier's new film, Melancholia.  :argh!: Bullshit. Also, NEEDS MOAR VIOLINS. It's basically about a bunch of people in denial and trying to cope with the fact that a rogue planet will smash into Earth, killing everything.

Found two awesome films on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an4CG2WN37Q
I mentioned Interrogation here before. It's about Stalin's crackdown of Poland (and was actually banned in Poland and had to be smuggled out (just like the plot of The Lives of Others (another film that I can't stand. (Wait, is this LISP?)))) A cabaret singer is arrested and held until she signs a confession to absurd charges that involve aiding Western imperialism. What makes the film great is how physical violence is downplayed, because these are people who just want you to SIGN THE FUCKING CONFESSION.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlkhZwZ0c8g
This one's a Swedish drama about teenage lesbians. I thought I was going to hate it, but it's actually awesome, and manages to avoid being corny (apart from a literal 'coming out' metaphor.)

I'm about to watch a Taiwanese film called Rebels of the Neon God entirely for its name. I hope it doesn't disappoint me in the same way as The Cars That Ate Paris.

Suu

I got a copy of the 1996 Generation X movie.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

This is so remarkably full of 90s X-Men Universe awesome. They really should have done more with it .
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cramulus

I finally saw SCOTT PILGRIM VS THE WORLD

that kicked ASS

That is a movie that knows its target audience very very very well

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cramulus on October 03, 2011, 02:33:27 PM

that kicked ASS

It does!! We saw it at Suu's and it was ASS KICKING
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Luna

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cramulus on October 03, 2011, 02:33:27 PM

that kicked ASS

dude

that was practically my EXACT fucking thought as I left that movie

Jenne

Scott Pilgrim was indeed pretty damned awesome.  Kinda reeks that TTSS is a bit sucky.  :(  Still haven't seen it, and still plan to, though.

Melancholia looked soooo damned lame with soooo many good actors, I was sorta sad and mad that what could have been an awesome movie is apparently BEYOND LAEM.

Xooxe

Have you watched it yet? If not then pleassssse don't listen to me without other opinions. Loads of people seem to like it so far. :)

Freeky

Yes, I'm sure.  You know what else loads and loads of people liked?

The Twilight series. :vom:

Cain

Watched Apollo 18, or as it is otherwise known, Paranormal Activty...in SPACE!

Complete waste of time.

Next film on my list should be better.  The Brotherhood of the Wolf is the first film about the Beast of Gévaudan, a creature that has fascinated me for quite some time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beast_of_G%C3%A9vaudan

QuoteThe Beast of Gévaudan (French: La Bête du Gévaudan; IPA: [la bɜt dy ʒevɔdɑ̃], Occitan: La Bèstia de Gavaudan) is a name given to man-eating wolf-like animals alleged to have terrorized the former province of Gévaudan (modern day département of Lozère and part of Haute-Loire), in the Margeride Mountains in south-central France from 1764 to 1767 over an area stretching 90 by 80 kilometres (56 by 50 mi).[2] The beasts were consistently described by eyewitnesses as having formidable teeth and immense tails. Their fur had a reddish tinge, and was said to have emitted an unbearable odour. They killed their victims by tearing at their throats with their teeth. The number of victims differs according to source. De Beaufort (1987) estimated 210 attacks, resulting in 113 deaths and 49 injuries; 98 of the victims killed were partly eaten.[2] An enormous amount of manpower and resources was used in the hunting of the animals, including the army, conscripted civilians, several nobles, and a number of royal huntsmen.[2] All animals operated outside of ordinary wolf packs, though eyewitness accounts indicate that they sometimes were accompanied by a smaller female, which did not take part in the attacks.

The film, of course, takes considerable liberties with what is already a fascinating story, but it should be fun regardless.

Faust

I saw Another Earth day before yesterday. It was excellent, would recommend.
Sleepless nights at the chateau