News:

Testimonial: "None of you seem aware of quite how bad you are. I mean I'm pretty outspoken on how bad the internet has gotten, but this is up there with the worst."

Main Menu

If you can't cancel one health insurance plan, cancel them all.

Started by AFK, October 16, 2009, 02:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/10/15/insurance-company-patients-dogs/

QuoteIn the state of New York, insurers are legally prohibited from discriminating against individuals who submit large claims. So when Guardian, a major insurance company, was faced with the high-cost claims of 37 year-old muscular dystrophy patient Ian Pearl, it decided to cancel its entire line of coverage in the state of New York rather than pay for Pearl's claims. In an e-mail obtained by The Washington Times, it was revealed that one executive at the company refers to patients like Pearl as "dogs" that the company can simply "get rid of":

Legally barred from discriminating against individuals who submit large claims, the New York-based insurer simply canceled lines of coverage altogether in entire states to avoid paying high-cost claims like Mr. Pearl's. In an e-mail, one Guardian Life Insurance Co. executive called high-cost patients such as Mr. Pearl "dogs" that the company could "get rid of."

A federal court quickly ruled that the company's actions were legal, so on Dec. 1, barring an order by the federal Department of Health and Human Services, Mr. Pearl will lose his benefits.

The cost of Pearl's annual treatment is approximately $1 million a year. The Pearl family is unable to receive the quality health care that Ian needs. "One-on-one skilled nursing is essential," Mrs. Pearl said.

Ain't life grand?
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Dr. Paes

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

AFK

No, see we're all wrong.  Health Care Reform isn't needed at all.  Everything is peachy keen.  I'm sure God will visit Mr. Pearl and make all of his troubles vanish, right after all of the good-hearted Conservatives give him all of those donations they keep talking about contributing.  Yep, it will be okay.  Besides, they're just "dogs" anyway. 

Jenne

The insurance lobby is almost as powerful as the banking and prison guard lobbies.  So expect more of the same to come, I suppose.

AFK

And it's legal!  Someone needs to turn this fucker around because we obviously took a wrong turn somewhere and are lost in the fucking woods. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: RWH1N1 on October 16, 2009, 02:26:40 PM
And it's legal!  Someone needs to turn this fucker around because we obviously took a wrong turn somewhere and are lost in the fucking woods. 

We could just eat these guys.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Actually, I'd really like to see the cost/benefit analysis on that one.

"Well, we could either pay out this guy's claim and lose $1M a year, or we could cancel every policy in his state, and lose $950k in future profits."

"So, we'll be saving $50k if we fuck this guy over?"

"Yup."

"Let's make this happen!"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 16, 2009, 02:33:23 PM

This.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on October 16, 2009, 02:34:52 PM
Actually, I'd really like to see the cost/benefit analysis on that one.

"Well, we could either pay out this guy's claim and lose $1M a year, or we could cancel every policy in his state, and lose $950k in future profits."

"So, we'll be saving $50k if we fuck this guy over?"

"Yup."

"Let's make this happen!"

Technically, he didn't call him a "guy", he called him a "dog".

Jenne

Quote from: Nigel on October 16, 2009, 03:01:41 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 16, 2009, 02:33:23 PM

This.

INSURANCE AGENT CHEESE BURGERS FOR ALL!

this is like a cullinary revolution...

All kidding aside...does anyone see any of this ending, any time soon?  Unless they pass lobbying reform, we're all screwed.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cicero
  Unless they pass lobbying reform, we're all screwed.

Jenne

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 16, 2009, 03:08:21 PM
Quote from: Cicero
  Unless they pass lobbying reform, we're all screwed.

I know they are TRYING in SCOTUS to get this through, but I don't see it ever happening.  Not in my lifetime, and not to any discernible degree.

AFK

At this point it's pretty damn clear to me Congress ain't going to do jack shit to help us.  Sure you have a Grayson or a Wiener here and there who champion meaningful reform, but they are drowned out by the Baucaus and the Landrieu's who only want tepid reform that won't really do anything, but, it's something to pad their resume.  But I know I'm preaching to the choir here.  We all knew this was going to happen when they started this process.  I think we all pretty much called it.  The Dems cave to the GOP and Health Insurance lobby.  Fuck, we could've written this script a year ago and we would've pretty much been spot on.  So that means it's up to the "Teh American People!", and we've seen how reliable THEY are.  I just don't know.  I think there are just too damn many NIMBY's for anything to ever change.  

LMNO

Anybody want to do some digging and find out if anyone had called this during the elections?