News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

DAMMIT, NIVEK, EXPLAIN THIS SHIT.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, October 22, 2009, 04:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Nivek,

It turns out that a leak in the FBI revealed that actual terrorists (planners and money men, mostly) are not on the terrorist watch list, because it might alert them.  Bear in mind that you are not allowed to SEE this list, which makes me wonder how they'd BE alerted.

So basically, we have a terrorist watch list that consists exclusively of American citizens who have the "wrong" values.

Recap:  A terrorist list that only has non-terrorists on it.

Nivek, this is the perfect storm of stupidity, even leaving the Orwellian side of the situation alone.  There has to be a word for this (I mean besides "stupid", "assinine", "clusterfuck", etc).  There has to be a word for this sort of bureaucratic circular reasoning.

How did we get so DUMB, Nivek?  Is there lead in our plumbing?  Melamine in our baby food?  What?  Because I see no evidence that things can't and won't get even DUMBER, though I can't imagine how.

So explain to me:  How did a species this retarded ever survive the period between falling out of the trees and inventing fire?  It boggles the very mind.

Or kill me.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

One word: Television.

The reason why people are so fucking stupid is due to a lack of self thought. They have machines to do it for them! Programming, as you've told me before. People cannot comprehend anything that is outside the box. The box being that nasty little devil that sits on with its infomercials and reality shows. No one can crack open a book these days unless Oprah says its alright. We are a culture defined by its daytime television.

Another reason is that stupidity breeds stupidity. Stupid people reproduce more than people with some sentient thought. The schools are "dumbed down" for these mentally handicap kids. So in turn the ones that actually have a brain get left behind because they don't get challenged enough through the school system. Making them prime targets for apathy and idle hands.

Stupidity and Television should be synonymous in this day and age. 

LMNO

Could you please keep it down?  I'm trying to watch "America's Got Talent" over here.

Quote from: LMNO on October 22, 2009, 08:29:09 PM
Could you please keep it down?  I'm trying to watch "America's Got Talent" over here.

I damn near sprayed coffee all over my keyboard.  :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: NiveKRayne on October 22, 2009, 08:28:08 PM
One word: Television.

The reason why people are so fucking stupid is due to a lack of self thought. They have machines to do it for them! Programming, as you've told me before. People cannot comprehend anything that is outside the box. The box being that nasty little devil that sits on with its infomercials and reality shows. No one can crack open a book these days unless Oprah says its alright. We are a culture defined by its daytime television.

Another reason is that stupidity breeds stupidity. Stupid people reproduce more than people with some sentient thought. The schools are "dumbed down" for these mentally handicap kids. So in turn the ones that actually have a brain get left behind because they don't get challenged enough through the school system. Making them prime targets for apathy and idle hands.

Stupidity and Television should be synonymous in this day and age. 

Um.

Your new avatar.

YARGANARG!

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Richter

The government has adopted the technique of Clearwater police, if they want you out, they act authoritarian in the most obtuse way possible, until yuo get sick of their innane fuckery and leave.

These people are twisting our ways agaisnt us.  Fucking with them is REQUIRED.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Quote from: Richter on October 22, 2009, 08:35:20 PM
The government has adopted the technique of Clearwater police, if they want you out, they act authoritarian in the most obtuse way possible, until yuo get sick of their innane fuckery and leave.

well said.

The Good Reverend Roger

THIS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: NiveKRayne on October 22, 2009, 08:37:26 PM

well said.

What's more, they're not even doing it out of malice.  They're doing it because they can't act any other way.

Triple Zero

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 22, 2009, 04:33:39 PM
So explain to me:  How did a species this retarded ever survive the period between falling out of the trees and inventing fire?  It boggles the very mind.

Good question. I would guess it has something to do with the fact that humans seem to get/act dumber when they appear in big clumps. I heard a story of 100 people (in Amsterdam, I think) watching a building (non-residential, a shop or something) burn down because everybody thought someone would have already phoned the fire department by now.

And if there's one thing I'm pretty sure that's very different compared to the falling out of the trees and inventing fire period, is that nowadays we have way more lumps of much higher concentrated human all over the fucking planet than we ever had before.

I don't really see a solution to this except for killing off most of them, but then what if I was wrong and it doesn't help and just the bad ones are left and have the place for themselves and then still stink it all up.

I dunno man. I think this is the cause though.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 22, 2009, 09:44:05 PM

Good question. I would guess it has something to do with the fact that humans seem to get/act dumber when they appear in big clumps. I heard a story of 100 people (in Amsterdam, I think) watching a building (non-residential, a shop or something) burn down because everybody thought someone would have already phoned the fire department by now.

And if there's one thing I'm pretty sure that's very different compared to the falling out of the trees and inventing fire period, is that nowadays we have way more lumps of much higher concentrated human all over the fucking planet than we ever had before.

I don't really see a solution to this except for killing off most of them, but then what if I was wrong and it doesn't help and just the bad ones are left and have the place for themselves and then still stink it all up.

I think it's high time for a plague.

Its the bystander effect, I was introduced to this phenomenon when I read teh Watchmen. Alan Moore uses the example of Kitty Genovese, who was raped and murdered in front of a group of several bystanders outside her apartment building, nobody interfered or even called the police. This example is commonly sited in psychological textbooks and such, and the wiki article makes for a pretty good read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_genovese

LMNO

Please note that those reports were highly inaccurate, and were driven by tabloids.

http://www.onthemedia.org/transcripts/2009/03/27/05

LEARN2RESEARCH.

The Good Reverend Roger

Good question. I would guess it has something to do with the fact that humans seem to get/act dumber when they appear in big clumps.

All mammals do.  It's called Generic Adaptative Syndrome, IIRC.  In the 50s, it was studied in mice.  Now we use people.