News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

So where were you guys in 2003?

Started by Cain, October 27, 2009, 04:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

No, seriously, where were you guys?

I'm going to guess jacking off into your socks whilst watching Fox News, but that is because I am generally unsympathetic to people who have only just realized something is seriously wrong with their country, 8 years after everyone else.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/oath-keepers-pledges-to-prevent-dictatorship-in-united-states-64690232.html

QuoteDepending on your perspective, the Oath Keepers are either strident defenders of liberty or dangerous peddlers of paranoia.

Launched in March by Las Vegan Stewart Rhodes, Oath Keepers bills itself as a nonpartisan group of current and retired law enforcement and military personnel who vow to fulfill their oaths to the Constitution.

More specifically, the group's members, which number in the thousands, pledge to disobey orders they deem unlawful, including directives to disarm the American people and to blockade American cities. By refusing the latter order, the Oath Keepers hope to prevent cities from becoming "giant concentration camps," a scenario the 44-year-old Rhodes says he can envision happening in the coming years.

It's a Cold War-era nightmare vision with a major twist: The occupying forces in this imagined future are American, not Soviet.

"The whole point of Oath Keepers is to stop a dictatorship from ever happening here," Rhodes, a former Army paratrooper and Yale-trained lawyer, said in an interview with the Review-Journal. "My focus is on the guys with the guns, because they can't do it without them.

"We say if the American people decide it's time for a revolution, we'll fight with you."

I say: get back in line.  We figured it out first, we're your betters, that means we get first dibs.

LMNO

I was wondering when the Militia-Men idea would come back in vogue...

Cain

Oh its been going on for months now.  Just a few weeks ago, the "National Militia, Soldiers of Freedom" told Obama and his supporters to leave the country by October 15th, or  " 'We, The People' will systematically dismantle you, destroy you and reclaim what is rightfully ours."

I like these guys.  They're special.

LMNO

...Ignoring the 9,000,000 vote margin of victory, of course...

Idem

So it's basically a weird kind of union?

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: LMNO on October 27, 2009, 04:53:18 PM
...Ignoring the 9,000,000 vote margin of victory, of course...
Those were all fake votes cast by Acorn.  Obama is a usurper.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Template

Quote from: Cain on October 27, 2009, 04:51:47 PM
Oh its been going on for months now.  Just a few weeks ago, the "National Militia, Soldiers of Freedom" told Obama and his supporters to leave the country by October 15th, or  " 'We, The People' will systematically dismantle you, destroy you and reclaim what is rightfully ours."

I like these guys.  They're special.

Allrighty, our American members (such as myself) must remind them that we (or other fictitious Americans) also have rightful claim to what they want to take.  Threaten, hilariously, a court order to stop them from taking anything.

or

???

Elder Iptuous

It's been going on for a lot longer than 'months', now.

also, i would say that, although in the minority, a decent number of these people were just as dissatisfied with Bush as they are with Obama, in regards to the direction the state is headed. (and believe things would be largely the same under McCain...)

lastly, i would say that it would be wise not to laugh these guys off.  It may be the case that in the 90's when the militia movement was pumped the overall feeling was that they were getting ready for a revolution that 'would come' or a disaster that 'would happen'.  the sentiment now is qualitatively different.  it seems to be growing towards a more active stance.  Whether one agrees with them at all, it must be recognized that the perception of these fellows is that things are, at a rapidly increasing pace, approaching the territory where it is their moral duty to initiate an overthrown of the govt.

just a couple zincolns from me.....

Jenne

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Jenne on October 27, 2009, 06:17:10 PM
...Ruby Ridge, anyone?

??
What are you saying?
he wasn't militia afaik....
are you saying that it might not have ended so badly if it was an Oath Keeper rather than Lon Horiuchi?
??

LMNO

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: LMNO on October 27, 2009, 06:23:26 PM
Pretty damn close to militia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_Ridge

from my understanding of the story and lack of willingness to read the whole wiki article, i would ask, how so?
he was a white seperatist, as i understand it...
and he distrusted the govt. (for good reason by the accounts i've heard)
but what makes him 'close to militia'  (wait.... what does that mean?)

Jenne

Quote from: Iptuous on October 27, 2009, 06:21:06 PM
Quote from: Jenne on October 27, 2009, 06:17:10 PM
...Ruby Ridge, anyone?

??
What are you saying?
he wasn't militia afaik....
are you saying that it might not have ended so badly if it was an Oath Keeper rather than Lon Horiuchi?
??

What do YOU think?  And yeah, I think this is pretty damned parallel.  Clinton was lambasted for what happened there, but I'm thinking there were other paramilitary "incidents" that led up to how this was handled.  Also, isn't this sort of how the whole Timothy McVeigh incident (woah, what a misnomer) happened?  Militia-type brainwashing and subesquent military training of a person so broken he decided to set off bombs?

Yeah, I'm thinking this is all very similar.  Shades of the early 90's happening today shouldn't make anyone comfortable.

LMNO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militia_movement

QuoteThe Militia movement is a paramilitary outgrowth of the independent survivalist movement, tax-protester movement and other movements in the subculture in the United States....Some Militia groups saw the Davidians and the Weaver family as martyrs,[4] and used Ruby Ridge and Waco as examples of the federal government's threat to people who refused to conform, and additionally those two events became a rallying cry to form militias to defend the people against the forces of a government perceived as hostile.

Elder Iptuous

ah. it was just a general type comment.  i was looking into your comment too much...
sry.  :oops: