News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

Hey, Richter, check out that noise in Bay 3, please.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, November 02, 2009, 06:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Getting a kind of a weird thumping noise down there.  Doesn't sound like a bearing, sounds more we tossed a balancing weight on the people grinder.  Best get that fixed before it goes out in the middle of a production run.  You know how bad that can be, when you have half a dozen temps in the hopper when the damn thing goes out.

Also, I think you did the right thing firing that Curly character.  He just didn't have the stomach for this sort of work, and he showed a lack of decorum that made the firm look bad.  Frivolous, even...And as we all know, having fun on the job is like stealing from The Company™.  And there was that time he was caught trying to "save" that bumper crop of orphans.  I trust he was disposed of in the usual manner.

Lastly, do something about the damned morale officer, for chrissakes.  All he does is sit in his office and cry.

- Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Richter

Well, I found out what was making that racket.  Remember Ernest, them temp they hired on to help with archiving, and kept through the winter?  He'd been packing the whole time he was here.  Must have been worried by something, but he never said what.  Good thing Sharon from PR never grabbed his butt.

The reciever and barrel of this cheap Glock was all that was left, jamming and bouncing off the teeth of the central auger.  The bangs must have been one or two rounds getting caught, and there's a new dent next to the control panel to tell the folks about.  We use metal detectors for reasons like this, for christsakes.  It'll be a good cautionary for new folks, but OSHA will have a cow if they learn.  I put one of those silly "How to use" decals over it.  (I always get a chuckle out of the pig siluohettes.  Guess we're not your usual end - user.) 

Funny, no one told me they were down sizing anyone today...

Anyways, I better change out the auger, and check the bearings and axel just to be safe.  All the force of trying to "process" that damn pistol had to go somewhere, and we need that thing in shape.
Oh, and Sam, the morale officer?  I think I'll ask him to help check the set screws down in the hopper.  He'll relish the chance to get face time with the real working staff, and he'll climb into ANYTHING if you tell him that's the lockout / tag out key you just gave him.

-Rich
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

The Good Reverend Roger

Outstanding.  Glad to see you're on top of things.

But, hey, we're now out a morale officer, and the economy being the way it is, I'm afraid that you're going to have to step up.  Hiring freeze, don't you know?  And I'm sorry, but no additional compensation will be forthcoming, though we might discuss it after the wage freeze ends, at your next review.  I am sure this won't be a problem, Richter.  Right?

Now, get out there and make everyone happy.  If production doesn't pick up soon, my bonus may be adversely impacted, and I don't think I need to explain the ramifications of that. 

Perhaps you could start with some of those motivational posters.  I love those things.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Richter

Sure thing!

The sing alongs will start at 2:15 SHARP.  (Need to beat the after - lunch slump and all.)  As management it will be VITAL for you to participate to lend credibility and support.  At least at the start. 
Smiles, jokes and whacky fun all around.
I've already got remaining half of Sam's skull in a nice lead crystal decanter on a shelf in my office. 
I'll get to wear my hat too.

Happiness is mandated.
Happiness is MANDATORY.

Any unrest, malcontent, or sedition will be routed out and "corrected". 
That strapping fellow from accounting who runs the fantasy football league and maligned the cantina food last week will be my first example to the workers. 
I'll send out memos, but a quick pre - lunch meeting should be long enough to "process" him, and get things started.

All those days growing up, dreaming of bucking the system, they never tell anyone how fun power can be.
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

I will attend.  I can "sing" like you wouldn't believe, Richter, and I am certain it will cure the after lunch slump.  Oh, yes.  You will, of course, handle any labor board complaints that follow with the usual blend of inflicted obscurity and menial, unnecessary tasks.

The song I sing will be a medley of I Owe My Soul to the Company Store, The Garden of Allah, and Everything is Different, Now.

I shall dress like Kirk Douglas in The Garden of Allah video, and a merry time will be had by all.

Richter

That one in the spotlight, does he look right to you?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Richter on November 02, 2009, 08:12:33 PM
That one in the spotlight, does he look right to you?

GET HIM UP AGAINST THE WALL!

And that one looks Arabic!  And that one's a tool!

Who let all this riff-raff into the room?

Richter

There's one smoking a joint!

And another with spots!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Richter on November 02, 2009, 08:18:22 PM
There's one smoking a joint!

And another with spots!

This is precisely why we have a drug policy, Richter.  Get ahold of yourself.

We can't have people running around using dangerous drugs on company time.  We have pills for those who need them.

Richter

So long as we're the ones providing the pills.  Have to be sure they're only taking the ones with approved effects.  Uppers and Smilers for work time.  Tranuilty and laughers for the downtime. 

It's insulting and disrupting to the Company and your fellow employees if you bring your own.