News:

Today, for a brief second, I thought of a life without Roger. It was much like my current life, except that this forum was a bit nicer.

Main Menu

The Tobin Tax is going to get fucked up, I can just tell...

Started by Cain, November 10, 2009, 10:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/nov/09/tobin-tax-gordon-brown-city

QuoteGordon Brown is secretly attempting to persuade some of the City's leading figures to speak out in support of his plan for a new international tax on banking.

Despite furious opposition from bank lobbyists and criticism from the United States, Canada and Russia, the prime minister is convinced that there are a significant number of senior bankers who will come out in the next few weeks and back the so-called Tobin tax.

"There's a cabal of people who are keen on this and are expected to show their face," a senior Downing Street official said.

Such a development would help swing business opinion behind the prime minister as he seeks to lobby world leaders to adopt the tax that would raise tens of billions of dollars to reduce budget deficits caused by the economic crisis as well as help finance the developing world.

Brown is aware that putting his name to the plan is fraught with risk but is convinced momentum needs to be maintained to drive the proposal through. He believes that voters who are incensed over how trillions of dollars of taxpayers funds have bailed out global banks would welcome the measure.

A Tobin Tax to fund Basic Income (and some on top to pay back government debts) plus junking the vast majority of our pathetic welfare system would save the country billions, undo the worst of the financial crisis and only minorly inconveinience the biggest financial giants.

Therefore, it will never happen.  Of course, Basic Income isn't even on the table, but usually arguments about funding it come down to using the Tobin Tax to do so.  Instead, either the government will pocket the cash to fund another war, or the proposal will fail because Gordon Brown is involved and even his mother hates him.

LMNO

Still, props to that guy for grabbing his testicles and proposing a politically dangerous piece of effective legislation.

Cain

On the other hand, the Tobin tax might not have been necessary had he not continued the neoliberal economic policies of Magaret Thatcher towards the banks, for the past 12 years.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

KopyKat253

If hindsight is 20/20, why cant they all see it? why do we wait for Brown to get the ball rolling when just starting is the hardest part. We all know we cant go back, so why don't we get behind Brown and help him out before its too late and we have to wish we could go back again. If enough people get behind this tax then hopefully the rest of the herd will follow! Lets call our senators and representatives and let them know, Our financial system is top heavy and we all welcome this tax. Make them pay back what we've given them on our terms, don't let them pussy foot around just because they can afford to buy off our congress! Don't let them throw around our money anymore.

I wish i had photoshop so i could make a "I am for this tax" Image with Browns face on it that I could spread around the interwebs.
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 10, 2009, 03:37:57 PM
In before Kopyfail.

I love you too rog.  :cheers:
Keep It Simple Stupid
Write for the masses. Don't use to many big words.
The mob doesn't like lexicographers.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: KopyKat253 on November 10, 2009, 03:44:00 PM
If hindsight is 20/20,  <more drivel>

Sorry, asswipe, you don't get to take part in an actual discussion, since you won't allow anyone else to have one.

Cain, I will split this all off later.  Sorry for the mess.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

Quote from: KopyKat253 on November 10, 2009, 03:44:00 PM
If hindsight is 20/20, why cant they all see it? why do we wait for Brown to get the ball rolling when just starting is the hardest part. We all know we cant go back, so why don't we get behind Brown and help him out before its too late and we have to wish we could go back again. If enough people get behind this tax then hopefully the rest of the herd will follow! Lets call our senators and representatives and let them know, Our financial system is top heavy and we all welcome this tax. Make them pay back what we've given them on our terms, don't let them pussy foot around just because they can afford to buy off our congress! Don't let them throw around our money anymore.

I wish i had photoshop so i could make a "I am for this tax" Image with Browns face on it that I could spread around the interwebs.
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 10, 2009, 03:37:57 PM
In before Kopyfail.

I love you too rog.  :cheers:

You assume three incorrect things:

That politicians have the same interests as the public
That people are more powerful than corporations
That Brown is American, apparently

http://trueslant.com/matttaibbi/ start reading this website (go back through the archives) and see how utterly fucked the economic system is, and how it is gamed by the banking and financial services industry.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on November 10, 2009, 03:51:00 PM
That Brown is American, apparently

It's moments like this that make me love this country.   :)

Cain

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on November 10, 2009, 03:55:09 PM
To be fair, he is a toady to American politicians.  

But still, Kat's abysmal ignorance and Beck-ian jabbering is what makes America great.

KopyKat253

I still believe that politicians can be controlled by the fear of the mob. you just gotta convince a bunch of idiots to not vote for the same kind of prick. Although it probably doesn't even matter since only a few kind of pricks make it into politics. But if it doesn't matter then why bother even having a discussion? Or is this a place just to listen to your rants and lectures.
Keep It Simple Stupid
Write for the masses. Don't use to many big words.
The mob doesn't like lexicographers.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: KopyKat253 on November 10, 2009, 04:06:55 PM
Or is this a place just to listen to your rants and lectures.

Considering that you thought Gordon Brown was an American politician, you could use a few lectures, fuckwit.

:lulz:

Cain

What mob?  The largest swindle in history just took place, and the only protests were by people who wanted there to be even less limits on the kleptocrat's doings.

Because even if no-one is paying attention now, they'll either pay attention one day, or else I can grow to be a bitter old man who can show how he was right about it all, even many years ago.

Dimocritus

Sorry, but I read his name as "Golden Brown" and got hungry for fried food  :oops:...
I'm going now...
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: dimo on November 10, 2009, 04:11:03 PM
Sorry, but I read his name as "Golden Brown" and got hungry for fried food  :oops:...
I'm going now...

And you had my hopes up.   :|