News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

So, the economist and time agree: It's about fucking time to LEGALISE IT

Started by Lies, November 15, 2009, 06:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: R W H N on November 18, 2009, 12:15:21 PM
Quote from: Rip City Hustle on November 18, 2009, 08:02:43 AM
Quote from: R W H N on November 18, 2009, 06:10:11 AM
Quote from: Rip City Hustle on November 18, 2009, 05:58:44 AM
you seem to be equating any recreational use of drugs with "having a drug problem".

I don't recall making that specific statement.

hence my use of the word "seem".

while I certainly agree with you that assessment, counseling, and treatment are better options than fines, jail, and seizure of property, I vehemently disagree that being caught with a "personal use" amount of marijuana should be any reason for the government to involve themselves in an adult's life in any way.

It's just not a plausible scenario.  But what is plausible is to make that involvement fit the "crime".  An adult pulled over with a joint should not be spending any time in jail.  If they are driving under the influence it might be a slightly different matter in that behavior is jeapoardizing the safety of others on the road.  But it wouldn't make any sense to waste the time and resources to throw the book at an adult who has a minor amount of marijuana.  But it just isn't plausible for their to be no involvement whatsoever. 

at the risk of being overly-simplistic, why not?
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on November 18, 2009, 07:32:17 PM
you seem to be equating any recreational use of drugs with "having a drug problem".

while I certainly agree with you that assessment, counseling, and treatment are better options than fines, jail, and seizure of property, I vehemently disagree that being caught with a "personal use" amount of marijuana should be any reason for the government to involve themselves in an adult's life in any way.

It's just not a plausible scenario.  But what is plausible is to make that involvement fit the "crime".  An adult pulled over with a joint should not be spending any time in jail.  If they are driving under the influence it might be a slightly different matter in that behavior is jeapoardizing the safety of others on the road.  But it wouldn't make any sense to waste the time and resources to throw the book at an adult who has a minor amount of marijuana.  But it just isn't plausible for their to be no involvement whatsoever. 

I, too, am curious about this.  I see no reason why an adult should not be able to use weed under the same conditions that they are allowed to use alcohol.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Fuquad

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 18, 2009, 07:39:00 PM

I, too, am curious about this.  I see no reason why an adult should not be able to use weed under the same conditions that they are allowed to use alcohol.
Well, he didn't exactly answer the question as presented. he added qualifiers and answered that instead.
THE WORST FORUM ON THE INTERNET

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: A Pesky Nonvoting Screeching on November 18, 2009, 07:42:36 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 18, 2009, 07:39:00 PM

Well, he didn't exactly answer the question as presented. he added qualifiers and answered that instead.

There's no crime in restating a question.

I just want to know why the law should have any say in whether or not an adult should be allowed to smoke weed in the same manner and conditions under which they can use alcohol.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

fomenter

if i am following the RWHN argument correctly, your liberty as an adult to smoke weed in the same manor and conditions as alcohol must be sacrificed for the safety of the children...
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

LMNO

Oh, come on.  Leave what RWHN believes to RWHN.  Don't put leading words in his mouth.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: fomenter on November 18, 2009, 07:48:31 PM
if i am following the RWHN argument correctly, your liberty as an adult to smoke weed in the same manor and conditions as alcohol must be sacrificed for the safety of the children...

Aw, fer chrissakes, let's let him answer for himself.

fomenter

the biggest point of contention so far seem to be if and by how much kids are protected by prohibition laws, and if the amount of protection they provide for kids out-ways the amount of harm that is done to others by prohibition..

(if this attempt to sum it up is leading or wrong my apology he can certainly correct me if i am wrong)

and he can and does speak for him self i am saying how i see his argument
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

East Coast Hustle

as I said earlier, I see it as basically being a "trading liberty for security" issue.

and the potential impact of drug use on children, while undeniable, should be more of an issue of parenting than state involvement.

IOW, teach yer fuckin kids not to be junkies instead of relying on the state to make laws in a vain attempt to scare and/or punish kids into not being junkies.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on November 18, 2009, 08:00:30 PM
as I said earlier, I see it as basically being a "trading liberty for security" issue.

and the potential impact of drug use on children, while undeniable, should be more of an issue of parenting than state involvement.

IOW, teach yer fuckin kids not to be junkies instead of relying on the state to make laws in a vain attempt to scare and/or punish kids into not being junkies.

This.

Cramulus

how do you get parents to do that?

I think you're right, I think this country's drug problems (mostly) emerge from our attitudes about drugs, substances, responsibility, whatever. And that starts at home. But do you think that parents can be educated to raise more responsible kids? Because if drugs were decriminalized / legalized without there being a widespread adjustment in how people relate to drugs, I can see things getting very grim very quickly.

I would be more in favor of legalization if there were a program which demonstrated that it can reliably prevent youth addiction. D.A.R.E. certainly didn't work. And you can't make parents take parenting classes unless they fucked up already...

AFK

Quote from: Cramulus on November 18, 2009, 09:44:56 PM

how do you get parents to do that?

I think you're right, I think this country's drug problems (mostly) emerge from our attitudes about drugs, substances, responsibility, whatever. And that starts at home. But do you think that parents can be educated to raise more responsible kids? Because if drugs were decriminalized / legalized without there being a widespread adjustment in how people relate to drugs, I can see things getting very grim very quickly.

I would be more in favor of legalization if there were a program which demonstrated that it can reliably prevent youth addiction. D.A.R.E. certainly didn't work. And you can't make parents take parenting classes unless they fucked up already...

There actually is one.  Mine.  My program essentially builds community in schools.  The kids in my program go into their schools and act as peer support.  They are trained how to be good listeners, how to refer urgent issues like substance abuse, risk of suicide, eating disorders, etc.  They also develop action plans to address key issues they identify during the training session.  Through these activities they build connectedness in school, they build feelings of support, they build feelings of safety.  The research shows that when you build these things in schools, kids are less likely to engage in risky behaviors like using substances. 

Currently, my program isn't officially recognized as an evidence-based, or model program.  This is something I've been working on for the past couple of years and I just got a sweet opportunity to work with the RAND Corp to do some rigorous data analysis to show that it is having these positive impacts.  I will also be writing an article to submit for publication in a scholarly journal.  With the backing of RAND I will be in decent shape to get published.  If I can get it to model status, my agency can sell it to other agencies or other states to implement in their schools.  The problem right now is what little funding is available for prevention is only being targetted on programs already listed by NREPP as model programs. 

There is stuff out there that works, unfotunately there are a lot of obstacles right now that make it hard to implement them in a broader fashion. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

East Coast Hustle

and just to clarify, RWHN, I think that your program and what you do are both awesome, and one of the best and most realistic examples of such a program that I've ever heard of.

I just haven't seen any evidence that your program would be less effective if marijuana were legal and regulated the same as alcohol, which is, after all, the topic of this thread.

AFK

It wouldn't be less effective.  It's just, that the goal posts would be farther away. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

East Coast Hustle

fair enough. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on whether or not that would be worth the increased personal liberty for adults.

not being snarky either, if you're going to take the position that anything is worth decreasing the personal liberty of adults, protection of children is about the only reason I can think of that has any merit whatsoever.