News:

PD.com forums: a disorganized echo-chamber full of concordian, Greyfaced radical left-wing nutjobs who honestly believe they can take down imaginary Nazis by distributing flyers. They are highly-suspicious of all newcomers and hostile to almost everyone, including themselves. The only thing they don't take seriously is Discordianism.

Main Menu

So, the economist and time agree: It's about fucking time to LEGALISE IT

Started by Lies, November 15, 2009, 06:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

STOP BEING SO GAWDDAMNED NUANCED! 
I'VE GOT MY STOCK PRO-POT ARGUMENTS,
AND I'M GONNA USE THEM, GAWDDAMMIT!
       \
:pukka:

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I think we're at odds on the purpose of that post... I am not debating the policies mentioned... as much as exemplifying these statements which disagree with the previous statements by the ONDCP.

The ONDCP, as I stated before has made comments which I believe to be lies, here are some examples of the current ONDCP administration making statements which agree with my position that previous statements by the ONDCP are untrue. If the truth varies based on who is in the White House... then I think thats a good reason not to trust their data.

Sure there are other government agencies... we'll get there :)

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

AFK

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on November 19, 2009, 02:33:17 PM
I think we're at odds on the purpose of that post... I am not debating the policies mentioned... as much as exemplifying these statements which disagree with the previous statements by the ONDCP.

The ONDCP, as I stated before has made comments which I believe to be lies, here are some examples of the current ONDCP administration making statements which agree with my position that previous statements by the ONDCP are untrue. If the truth varies based on who is in the White House... then I think thats a good reason not to trust their data.

Sure there are other government agencies... we'll get there :)

But I really don't think it is accurate to categorize what you are perceiving as a lie.  Politics are at play and knowledge is evolving.  And again, the data is the data.  The data comes from structured collection tools.  What you are having issues with is how the data is being interpreted and presented.  So what I would suggest is that you look at the data yourself, analyze it yourself, and present your interpretation of it. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

However, when you take confirmation bias into consideration, it's pretty clear what interpretation Rat would come back with.

AFK

Quote from: LMNO on November 19, 2009, 02:40:40 PM
However, when you take confirmation bias into consideration, it's pretty clear what interpretation Rat would come back with.

Oh sure.  And I of course expect that the ONDCP does that as well to some degree.  Honestly I think I've used the ONDCP only once as a reference in any of my work.  Mainly because there are way better sites for data and information.  I love Join Together.  They are sort of the CNN of the field.  And they are very open and will post research on both sides of the coin.  I get updates from them daily.  And I rarely use federal data just because it makes little sense.  I mean, it's nice to know where Maine is compared to the country, but beyond that the federal numbers have little relevance to what I do.  I can only make an impact in Maine.  We in Maine can do fuckall about what's happening in the rest of the country and vice versa.  

Also Dr. Embry.  He's like our Carl Sagan, minus the drug use.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: LMNO on November 19, 2009, 01:56:41 PM
Quote from: FP on November 19, 2009, 01:53:58 PM
Quote from: LMNO on November 19, 2009, 01:28:55 PM
The purpose of hash is to fuck you up.
I think you may have been doing it wrong. Or I have. There are certain classes of thought which are easier to perform under the influence, which pass muster with a sober mind at a frequency high enough to make the process beneficial to me.

I know I'm not the only one with this experience, though the only documented source I can think of is Carl Sagans/Mr X essay.

Care to post link, and explain yourself better?
http://www.marijuana-uses.com/essays/002.html

LMNO

Firewall.

I'll see if I can read it when I get home.

But if I understand you correctly, you think there are certain cognitive function that can only be accessed by getting stoned?

LMNO
-thinks he found yet another definition of the word "crutch".

Captain Utopia

Quote from: LMNO on November 19, 2009, 03:21:58 PM
Firewall.

I'll see if I can read it when I get home.
The text is here, also:
http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=22663.msg769027#msg769027

Quote from: LMNO on November 19, 2009, 03:21:58 PM
But if I understand you correctly, you think there are certain cognitive function that can only be accessed by getting stoned?

LMNO
-thinks he found yet another definition of the word "crutch".
No. There are certain cognitive functions that I find much easier to access by altering my brain chemistry in ways made predictable by previous experience, although a significant part of this is simply cutting through the adhd and increasing my ability to focus. One evening may provide six sober months of kicking the tires of a few new lines of thought or working out the finer details. Most of the time it is productive, and on rare occasions it's not.

I'm not claiming anything as ludicrous as one state being "better" than the other, rather that being able to travel between states provides results more interesting than being stuck in either one.

LMNO

And I paraphrase Leary, RAW, Burroughs, and Kesey: "Anything your brain can do on drugs, your brain can do off drugs."

Quote from: LMNO on November 19, 2009, 04:24:38 PM
And I paraphrase Leary, RAW, Burroughs, and Kesey: "Anything your brain can do on drugs, your brain can do off drugs."

Its not like any of them would have endorsed drugs in any way.

As for Burroughs

Quote from: Bill Burroughs, from the appendix to Naked LunchThe ill effects of marijuana have been grossly exaggerated in the U.S. Our national drug is alcohol, we tend to regard the use of any other drug with special horror. Anyone given over to these alien vices deserves the complete ruin of his mind and body. People believe what they want to believe without regard for the facts. Marijuana is not habit forming. I have never seen evidence of any ill effects from moderate use. Drug psychosis may result from prolonged or excessive use

LMNO

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I agree.

Quote from: LMNO on November 19, 2009, 04:34:51 PM
Yeah, thanks for missing the point, Z.

Your point was that drugs are inherently unnecessary in terms of managing our brains?
This may be so, but sometimes they can be a useful tool for doing so.
& if the pharmaceutical companies get to do this, why cant I?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Z³ on November 19, 2009, 04:40:06 PM
Quote from: LMNO on November 19, 2009, 04:34:51 PM
Yeah, thanks for missing the point, Z.

Your point was that drugs are inherently unnecessary in terms of managing our brains?
This may be so, but sometimes they can be a useful tool for doing so.
& if the pharmaceutical companies get to do this, why cant I?

I agree.

Captain Utopia

Anything? With the same amount of work and time involved? Don't tell the kidz, they'll be getting high on invisible pot all the time if they ever found out! What about Ritalin? Lithium? Are those worthless too?

You entirely miss the point that my statement was that I found the process made easier and more efficient - personally beneficial.