News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

I think my relatives are trying to get a rise out of me for Christmas...

Started by Suu, November 20, 2009, 02:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Quote from: A Pesky Nonvoting Screeching on November 21, 2009, 02:33:52 AM
Quote from: Felix on November 21, 2009, 01:52:54 AM
Talk about spin.  People see a guy being more accepting of other religions and acting with a bit of perspective and integrity, and suddenly the story is that Obama hates christianity.
He's accepting of religions?

Why does he hate atheists?

He is accepting of religions therefore he hates atheists?

Don't follow.

Freeky

Quote from: Felix on November 21, 2009, 09:14:08 AM
Quote from: A Pesky Nonvoting Screeching on November 21, 2009, 02:33:52 AM
Quote from: Felix on November 21, 2009, 01:52:54 AM
Talk about spin.  People see a guy being more accepting of other religions and acting with a bit of perspective and integrity, and suddenly the story is that Obama hates christianity.
He's accepting of religions?

Why does he hate atheists?

Atheism is a belief system, by not believing in gods based on no evidence whatsoever.

Jasper

Not sure how much progress can be made arguing whether atheism is a belief system, but for what it's worth I don't treat my lack of faith as a belief system in itself.

Freeky

Quote from: Felix on November 22, 2009, 04:19:18 AM
Not sure how much progress can be made arguing whether atheism is a belief system, but for what it's worth I don't treat my lack of faith as a belief system in itself.
Well, it's just a way I view it, and for some it's possibly more applicable to some than others, but if one believes in no god, then they have a belief, right?

And some athiests, or at least I hear of them from other people, are just as firm on there being no god at all as many christians believe there is a god. Faith, in my opinion, doesn't really come into play. I mean, I don't believe in God, (and if someone were to present evidence to the contrary, I would accept that, but stil lwouldn't go with that religion on principal, but that's just me) but I have a few ideas that I think might eventually be some kind of equivalent to a faith.

Jasper

Depends on whether you're an agnostic or gnostic atheist.  In other words, whether you're saying you know god exists, or you're saying you don't know, but won't assume so.  Given the difficulty of proving it either way, I generally think act like an agnostic atheist.  The key is that I think and act, as opposed to believe.

I can't say whether nonbelief as a belief is a semantic argument, an epistemological problem, or what.  However I do know that the whole discussion should probably map back in some meaningful way to how Obama's secularization of the "winter holiday" means he is spurning Christianity.

The Johnny

Believing God exists and believing God doesnt exist are both based on belief.

Each is a side of a coin named "belief", either affirmation or negation.

I "play my cards" as if one didnt exist, so im close to what would be called an agnostic that acts like an atheist.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

The Johnny

On that note, fuck christmas. Its all about Cola Claus and his consumerist sledge anyway.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Freeky

Quote from: Felix on November 22, 2009, 04:56:46 AM
Depends on whether you're an agnostic or gnostic atheist.  In other words, whether you're saying you know god exists, or you're saying you don't know, but won't assume so.  Given the difficulty of proving it either way, I generally think act like an agnostic atheist.  The key is that I think and act, as opposed to believe.

I can't say whether nonbelief as a belief is a semantic argument, an epistemological problem, or what.  However I do know that the whole discussion should probably map back in some meaningful way to how Obama's secularization of the "winter holiday" means he is spurning Christianity.

It's not about Christianity anymore, it's about being Politcally Correct. After all, the country isn't exactly majorly christian anymore, (And yes, jonnhyx, it is about the moneys now), and the president is just trying to be totally fair about it. Which he's getting flac for, but he would probably get that anyway, just because.

Jasper

People would find something to freak out about regardless, so why bother listening to those people?

Freeky

fomenter

calling atheism a "belief" or a "belief no different than a religions belief" is mostly just a fun way to screw with certain types of loudmouth asshole atheists, most sensible atheists admit agnosticism, the fun to mess with ones adamantly believe there is no god
"So she says to me, do you wanna be a BAD boy? And I say YEAH baby YEAH! Surf's up space ponies! I'm makin' gravy... Without the lumps. HAAA-ha-ha-ha!"

hmroogp

Jasper

Yeah, but if I had to choose absolutely one or the other, I'd go full on gnostic atheist.

Dysnomia

SUU how about you shoot back with "HEY ASSHOLES!  NOT EVERYONE IN THIS CUNTRY IS CHRISTIAN, GET OVER IT!  OH AND ALL THOSE HOLIDAY TRADITIONS?  MOSTLY BORROWED FROM OTHER RELIGIONS!  THE END!"
It's all fun and games, till someone gets herpes.

http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/122010/mow-the-lawn.gif

LMNO

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on November 22, 2009, 05:09:37 AM
Quote from: Felix on November 22, 2009, 04:56:46 AM

It's not about Christianity anymore, it's about being Politcally Correct. After all, the country isn't exactly majorly christian anymore, (And yes, jonnhyx, it is about the moneys now), and the president is just trying to be totally fair about it. Which he's getting flac for, but he would probably get that anyway, just because.

Freeky, the US is MASSIVELY Xtian. It's the
denominations that keep shifting.

Cain

In fact, the US has religious belief levels more in common with certain theocracies than most other industrial democracies.  I have no doubt if it wasn't for inter-Christian factionalism, it probably would be a theocracy by now, or at very least a theocratic constitutional republic a la Iran.