News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

Tampa passes law to protect transgenders.

Started by Suu, November 20, 2009, 08:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local/story/Tampa-City-Council-passes-transgender-law/VUsyp9qXZEK_zbU_lIgIIQ.cspx

Florida has really come about since Jeb Bush is no longer in control, but I wonder how long it will take before the state steps in and flips over this, or enough people try to overturn it.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I still don't understand this 'protected' status. Discrimination is illegal, period.

QuoteLargo in 2007, when then city manager Steve Stanton announced he was going to become a woman named Susan. Stanton was fired after making that decision.

So that's discrimination... He could have announced he was gay, turning Christian, moving to a small apartment, whatever... that was his private life and there is no justification for firing him.

I mean, why do we have to define X group is protected? All groups should be equally protected... making a list just means there will be a fight any time some group gets added to the list.

I dunno, maybe I'm missing something important here...
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Jasper

You've basically hit the nail on the head.  There's just this stupid implicit assumption that freedom of speech doesn't extend to our own bodies.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on November 20, 2009, 09:25:04 PM
I still don't understand this 'protected' status. Discrimination is illegal, period.

QuoteLargo in 2007, when then city manager Steve Stanton announced he was going to become a woman named Susan. Stanton was fired after making that decision.

So that's discrimination... He could have announced he was gay, turning Christian, moving to a small apartment, whatever... that was his private life and there is no justification for firing him.

I mean, why do we have to define X group is protected? All groups should be equally protected... making a list just means there will be a fight any time some group gets added to the list.

The list doesn't really help anyway.  Largo had declared transgendered persons protected shortly before Stanton was outed.  The exact same people who fired her were the ones that pushed the protection through too.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

BabylonHoruv

Because some groups should not be protected.

For instance, sexual predators.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Jasper

I don't think that is a good argument.  Sexual predators are not a group of people.  They are not a creed, race, religion, gender, ethnic group, culture, or society in any meaningful sense.

All creeds, races, religions, legal sexual preferences (No protection for those who "prefer" underaged or the unwilling, in other words), genders, ethnic groups, and cultures should be respected and defended by law, not to mention culturally accepted.

Kai

No, its really not illegal until it's defined as such, because people are allowed to get away with it. Theres sense, justice, and morality, and there is monkey mind. Guess which wins.

Think of it as the same reason affirmative action was necessary at one point (I don't feel like arguing about now, so if anyone wants to they can fuck off).
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

East Coast Hustle

that makes a bold assumption, namely that affirmative action was necessary or even desirable.

had it not been implemented, economic and cultural forces would have brought around equality in hiring practices and college admissions anyway and though it would have taken longer, businesses and institutions with a bigoted bent would have suffered economically in the end rather than being allowed to cover for their regressive attitudes by hiring the odd smudgy person.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

RCH... really?

Really?

Wow. I wasn't expecting the Invisible Hand argument from you. ESPECIALLY not from you.

East Coast Hustle

It's not a concept I would apply to everything or agree with in every context, but that doesn't mean it's a concept that's never valid or useful.

also, why would you especially not expect that from me? I've always generally leaned towards laissez faire capitalism, though as with any social/political/economic model it has flaws and isn't always ideal.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Kai

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on November 21, 2009, 04:43:23 AM
that makes a bold assumption, namely that affirmative action was necessary or even desirable.

had it not been implemented, economic and cultural forces would have brought around equality in hiring practices and college admissions anyway and though it would have taken longer, businesses and institutions with a bigoted bent would have suffered economically in the end rather than being allowed to cover for their regressive attitudes by hiring the odd smudgy person.

While I disagree with you, thanks for that.