News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Can I go Columbine Kid yet?

Started by Freeky, November 24, 2009, 02:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

Quote from: LMNO on November 24, 2009, 07:15:05 PM
Hey now.  Best not to step and/or test.

Ah used to be one of them thair deep suth'ners, butt I got ed-yew-caeted in hows Ah'm spozed to act round city folk afore it were too late.

Suu

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on November 24, 2009, 07:12:18 PM
Sounds like they'd be the prey of deep south rednecks, in the natural order of things.

You might be surprised. You've never seen a Foster-Gloucester Swamp Yankee. OOOOOHHHH WEEEEE.

Looking for pictures, I just found a great blog: http://swampyankeesfromouterspace.blogspot.com/

Mostly on gardening and stuff in Southern Rhode Island. Lol South County ftw, the perfect mix of beach bum/swamp yankee hybrids!
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Freeky

Well, I'm off to apply at a call center, recommended to me by my ex. Wish me luck...

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on November 24, 2009, 07:12:18 PM
Sounds like they'd be the prey of deep south rednecks, in the natural order of things.

hey now...New England rednecks are FAR superior to deep south rednecks, if any sort of redneck can be said to be "superior".
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypseâ„¢

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on November 24, 2009, 08:52:37 PM
Well, I'm off to apply at a call center, recommended to me by my ex. Wish me luck...

Good luck.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Freeky

They aren't hiring till January. :/ And my grandma said no to changing in whatever policy thing it is for money so I can get a car.

Richter

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Suu

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on November 24, 2009, 11:01:01 PM
They aren't hiring till January. :/ And my grandma said no to changing in whatever policy thing it is for money so I can get a car.

Apply anyway. Getting resumes out there will still show that you're interested.

Also, even if Roger was right and those retail places around there are only hiring for 10 hours a week, get 2 jobs. 3 if you can swing it, to get you through December. There is probably no shortage of holiday temp positions that need filling. Pound the pavement at the local mall. Get in on Macys or JCPenney, a lot of the department stores may keep you on after the Holidays and offer GREAT BENEFITS if you stay on long term.

Try also a pharmacy retailer. Yes, you will make minimum wage to start, but I worked for CVS for 3 months before open enrollment and got in on a great Blue Cross/Blue Shield package that was affordable and a special CVS prescription plan which really helped with my allergy and asthma costs. Things like benefits, especially when you have dependents, are really important.  I was also promoted pretty quickly to head cashier in about 6 months, then shift supervisor, and then assistant manager in the 2 years I worked with them. So the opportunities are there. But you gotta push. Places like that are always accepting applications and in the winter they go into overdrive, and a lot of times you won't even know they're hiring unless you openly ask. Those aren't positions you'll find on job boards or in a newspaper.

Corporations right now are the safest bet with employment, you'll get a steady paycheck, and you'll get solid benefits.  Just stay the FUCK away from Wal-Mart/Sam's Club, they purposely don't hire retail associates full-time so they don't have to offer benefits. High-power supermarkets and pharmacies are the way to go. People need food and drugs, so they aren't going under anytime soon.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Reginald Ret

This is all asuming you can outperform most of your future colleagues
You are smart and motivated enough so that shouldn't be a problem.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Freeky

Quote from: Suu on November 25, 2009, 05:09:09 AM
Quote from: Mistress Freeky on November 24, 2009, 11:01:01 PM

Apply anyway. Getting resumes out there will still show that you're interested.

Also, even if Roger was right and those retail places around there are only hiring for 10 hours a week, get 2 jobs. 3 if you can swing it, to get you through December. There is probably no shortage of holiday temp positions that need filling. Pound the pavement at the local mall. Get in on Macys or JCPenney, a lot of the department stores may keep you on after the Holidays and offer GREAT BENEFITS if you stay on long term.

Try also a pharmacy retailer. Yes, you will make minimum wage to start, but I worked for CVS for 3 months before open enrollment and got in on a great Blue Cross/Blue Shield package that was affordable and a special CVS prescription plan which really helped with my allergy and asthma costs. Things like benefits, especially when you have dependents, are really important.  I was also promoted pretty quickly to head cashier in about 6 months, then shift supervisor, and then assistant manager in the 2 years I worked with them. So the opportunities are there. But you gotta push. Places like that are always accepting applications and in the winter they go into overdrive, and a lot of times you won't even know they're hiring unless you openly ask. Those aren't positions you'll find on job boards or in a newspaper.

Corporations right now are the safest bet with employment, you'll get a steady paycheck, and you'll get solid benefits.  Just stay the FUCK away from Wal-Mart/Sam's Club, they purposely don't hire retail associates full-time so they don't have to offer benefits. High-power supermarkets and pharmacies are the way to go. People need food and drugs, so they aren't going under anytime soon.

I never thought about CVS and places like that. Thanks.
I don't even think Walmart is hiring period right now. And here, getting a job at the supermarket is kind of scary cuz of Unuions. If you don't go on strike when they do, you run the risk of getting beat the snot out of every time you cross the picket line. And it does happen, I remember it happened a year or two ago.

Freeky

Quote from: Regret on November 25, 2009, 01:36:22 PM
This is all asuming you can outperform most of your future colleagues
You are smart and motivated enough so that shouldn't be a problem.

:D

Suu

I'm not going to lie, I never really LIKED working at CVS, but if it wasn't for those benefits E. Coli and Mono would have been a lot harder to deal with.  :x