News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

So I just watched Angels and Demons and...

Started by Suu, December 01, 2009, 01:20:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

QuoteThe thirty-four-year-old initiate gazed down at the human skull cradled in his palms.

Mmm, beautiful. "Cradled in his palms". One can feel the reverence with which the initiate is delicately holding this human skull. But tell us more about the skull, Mr Brown!

QuoteThe skull was hollow,

That is useful information, for now I am no longer visualizing one of those solid skulls?

Quotelike a bowl,

Even better — hollow like a bowl, not hollow like, I don't know, a syringe, or an asteroid hollowed out by aliens. The image is now irresistibly vivid! A human skull, hollow like a bowl!

But wait, Mr Brown, why are you telling us that this particular skull is "hollow, like a bowl"? Are you subtly setting up the idea that the skull contains some liquid?

Quotefilled with bloodred wine.

Ah — now this is why Dan Brown is Dan Brown. A lesser author would have been satisfied with a lesser liquid — having the human skull (hollow like a bowl) contain, I don't know, some gazpacho soup or Ready Brek. No one but Dan Brown could have thought of filling the human skull (hollow like a bowl) with "bloodred wine".1 It is an image of menacing ingenuity, through which Mr Brown is really beginning to establish a kind of superior Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom atmosphere.

The author then types on with some description of a big room, but it is no shame for us to admit that his best work is already accomplished: the concept of an initiate holding a human skull (hollow like a bowl) filled with bloodred wine and cradled in his palms is a kind of chorus that insists on being heard again, and it is not long before the reader is thus pleasured:

QuoteThe initiate had been told every room in this building held a secret, and yet he knew no room held deeper secrets than the gigantic chamber in which he was currently kneeling with a skull cradled in his palms.

A skull cradled in his palms. Imagine! Almost as though it were a human infant. I must admit my eyes glazed over again after this at the further description of the big room and whatever, but only because I was aching to see what the author would do with his inevitable third treatment of the concept "skull cradled in his palms". I was not disappointed:

QuoteSteeling himself for the last step of his journey, the initiate shifted his muscular frame and turned his attention back to the skull cradled in his palms.

Only a second-rate writer would vary such a winning formula. The first-rate writer knows the true value of incessant repetition. Indeed, I suspect this stunning symbol-sequence, "skull cradled in his palms", must owe its majestic power to some actual black sorcery, because when I had finished reading the entire extract, I found myself cradling my own skull in my palms?

1.  Later on we are told that "The crimson wine looked almost black in the dim candlelight", but that's the lighting director's problem, so fuck you.

Thurnez Isa

I kept thinking (and wishing) I was watching Inspector Gadget.
Mainly cause the baffling plan the Illuminati (spoilers not revealed) was something a villain from a Saturday morning cartoon would come up with.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Suu

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on December 01, 2009, 04:24:43 PM
I kept thinking (and wishing) I was watching Inspector Gadget.
Mainly cause the baffling plan the Illuminati (spoilers not revealed) was something a villain from a Saturday morning cartoon would come up with.

Just read the book.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."