News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

Genetic Inequality and Inevitable Eugenics

Started by Da6s, December 06, 2009, 02:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Da6s

http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=14742737

QuoteHuman geneticists have reached a private crisis of conscience, and it will become public knowledge in 2010. The crisis has depressing health implications and alarming political ones. In a nutshell: the new genetics will reveal much less than hoped about how to cure disease, and much more than feared about human evolution and inequality, including genetic differences between classes, ethnicities and races.

QuoteIn 2010, GWAS (genome wide association studies) fever will reach its peak. Dozens of papers will report specific genes associated with almost every imaginable trait—intelligence, personality, religiosity, sexuality, longevity, economic risk-taking, consumer preferences, leisure interests and political attitudes.

Is it Gattaca yet?
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

In 2010, geneticists will reveal that high intelligence is genetically linked to being a neurotic motherfucker. Insurance companies will deny insurance to  people they deem to have "high achievement potential" because they are at higher risk for melancholy and ill humors.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

Requia ☣

Clearly there is no such thing as nurture.   :lulz:
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Requia ☣ on December 06, 2009, 07:39:12 PM
only if your parents were genetically predisposed to it.  :wink:

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Requia ☣ on December 06, 2009, 07:39:12 PM
QuoteIn 2010, GWAS (genome wide association studies) fever will reach its peak. Dozens of papers will report specific genes associated with almost every imaginable trait—intelligence, personality, religiosity, sexuality, longevity, economic risk-taking, consumer preferences, leisure interests and political attitudes.
Does it say determining?
No?
How strange, that must mean the writer made an error.
Yes thats it, that must be it.
It couldn't possibly be that the scientists were good scientists, that would just be silly.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Requia ☣

I never said the scientists weren't good, just the idiot that wrote this article.

Reginald Ret

hmmm maybe i should read the actual article before opening my big mouth,
I have no idea if it is any good.

i mean

YOU STUPID SUCKMONGER! BOOOO!
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Kai

:lulz: This is hilarious. Probably the same people trying this stuff are the ones who think you can imput a human genome into a computer and pop out a human simulation. Just fucking funny.  :lulz:
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cainad (dec.)

But once we can simply tell people who and what they are based on their genes, it'll be so much easier than considering them as whole human beings. We need better ways of stuffing people into their boxes, and if we can do it right from birth it'll be much more efficient.

Golden Applesauce

Note that this article appeared in the Economist, as opposed to the "People Who Know Anything About A Subject Vaguely Related To Biology" journal.

I see a lot of very definite predictions being made in that article, especially in the area of what they expect to find.  If anything, genomic diversity between different ethnic groups has been wildly overestimated, not the other way around.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Requia ☣

Quote from: GA on December 07, 2009, 12:06:51 AM
Note that this article appeared in the Economist, as opposed to the "People Who Know Anything About A Subject Vaguely Related To Biology" journal.

I see a lot of very definite predictions being made in that article, especially in the area of what they expect to find.  If anything, genomic diversity between different ethnic groups has been wildly overestimated, not the other way around.

It's basically nonexistant.  The genetic variation is very tiny.  So tiny that humans (all of us) are less genetically diverse than any two regionally distinct groups of chimps.

Requia ☣

I just saw the byline.  George Miller, an evolutionary psychologist.  I think I cited him once.   :horrormirth:

Kai

Quote from: Cainad on December 06, 2009, 11:54:22 PM
But once we can simply tell people who and what they are based on their genes, it'll be so much easier than considering them as whole human beings. We need better ways of stuffing people into their boxes, and if we can do it right from birth it'll be much more efficient.

Come on, Cainad, you gotta laugh. Monkeys who think they understand shit when they absolutely understand nothing at all are so funny.  :lulz:

I can feel the backslide into plato's cave as we speak.  :lulz: :lulz:
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad on December 06, 2009, 11:54:22 PM

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."