News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

"Stupid wingnut says something stupid" thread

Started by Cain, December 08, 2009, 09:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 11, 2013, 07:27:23 PM
Quote from: stelz on April 11, 2013, 06:09:08 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 11, 2013, 05:43:49 PM
Quote from: stelz on April 11, 2013, 05:31:43 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 11, 2013, 03:55:15 PM
Quote from: V3X on April 10, 2013, 07:47:09 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 10, 2013, 07:46:15 PM
Nibblers?

shortened form of ealier popular name for the snack, "nigger babies."

Is this verifiably true? Because it has that odd tang of myth. Not that I doubt that people have called licorice nibs "nigger babies", but just that lots of little tidbitty things are called "nibs", with a completely different and verifiable etymology going back centuries as a word used to describe a morsel or small scrap of food, which makes me think that "nigger babies" came after "nibs" and not the other way around.

Like, some redneck looking at a package and asking his friend "Whut tha fuck is a nib anyway?" and his friend saying "I dunno, they're  little and black, it's probably short for nigger baby" and then they both laugh like it's the funniest thing ever and tell all their friends, and an urban legend is born.

When I was a little kid, they had a store across the street from the school with loose penny candy - you walked in and asked for so many pieces of this and that, and paid. And I heard kids ask for "n- babies", with NOT A WORD from the adults working there, who matter-of-factly filled the order. Same thing at the fireworks stands with the "n- chasers".

I don't see it going from that to "nib", either, though. The rest of us called them "licorice babies".

Yep, I'm betting that the people who remember these candies being "sold as" nigger babies actually remember asking for them by that name, and clerks didn't correct them. They were probably below reading age at the time and didn't know that wasn't the name on the box, and just assumed it was because that's what everybody called them.

Ah, the good old days...  :roll:

I can also ask my dad, as he was born in 1929 and used to love him some motherfucking candy.

Great idea, bet he'd remember tons of stuff like that. It was still around, but (luckily) dying away when I was a kid - I do remember seeing these (kind of a fucked up nod to pressure from the NAACP).

:lulz: That's amazing!

Another reason the "nigger babies" brand candy struck me as suspect is because this kind of thing is HIGHLY HIGHLY collectible and there is a shit-ton of dialogue about it all over the Web, and the complete lack of ads/old boxes/history on the subject struck me as unusual, for something as commonplace and popular as those candies. Usually, you google something like that and you get a bunch of hits, often including eBay auctions for ads or labels. Try googling "Nigger Head Oysters", a product which was assuredly infinitely less popular, and you'll get 13,100 results, including countless photographs of cans and labels. Google "Nigger Babies Candy" and you get 3600 results, almost all of them either Urbandictionary entries from the last couple of years, or asking whether the damn things ever really existed.

The n- toes candy I remember seeing in stores when I was a kid were packaged and labeled at the store.
Formerly something else...

Anna Mae Bollocks

I don't think "n- babies" was ever a brand name. And I've never seen the fireworks actually labeled as "n-chasers" either, the ones we used to get were called "Texas Twister" or "Rat Chaser".
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Emo Howard on April 11, 2013, 08:38:06 PM

The n- toes candy I remember seeing in stores when I was a kid were packaged and labeled at the store.

I don't doubt it. That's not really relevant, though.

(ETA: to whether "nibs" is really short for "nigger babies". It's perfectly relevant in the context of "shitty racist products that actually existed".)
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

On the other hand, a lot of people say "nigger toes" when they're thinking of this, completely differently-racist confectionary treat:

I keep a package of vanilla Negrito in my car at all times, just in case I have a snack attack.

The Johnny

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 12, 2013, 12:34:36 AM
On the other hand, a lot of people say "nigger toes" when they're thinking of this, completely differently-racist confectionary treat:

I keep a package of vanilla Negrito in my car at all times, just in case I have a snack attack.

Well, its a type of stereotypyzing after all, but ive seen the commercials and its just a stereotype of hip and jolly with puffy hair, at least its nothing negative... also, negro doesnt translate as nigger, negro translates as "black".
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: The Johnny on April 12, 2013, 01:33:32 AM

Well, its a type of stereotypyzing after all, but ive seen the commercials and its just a stereotype of hip and jolly with puffy hair, at least its nothing negative... also, negro doesnt translate as nigger, negro translates as "black".

The slogan for those is "te dejará huella" - "it will leave its shadow/mark/fingerprint on you"?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah, I know... it's nowhere near as offensive. But it IS pretty funny.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I have seen them in the past... I can't get my computer to play them now, it's too old and slow.

Anna Mae Bollocks

They're kind of awesome. People eat these things and everything goes sort of 70's P-Funk.  :lol:

The Johnny

Quote from: stelz on April 12, 2013, 02:13:34 AM

The slogan for those is "te dejará huella" - "it will leave its shadow/mark/fingerprint on you"?

"Footprint/mark"
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: stelz on April 12, 2013, 03:11:11 AM
They're kind of awesome. People eat these things and everything goes sort of 70's P-Funk.  :lol:

Yeah... I like them. I mean, although they're racial, they're not exactly racist.

Although I like the term "differently racist".  :lol:

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on April 12, 2013, 03:27:22 AM
Quote from: stelz on April 12, 2013, 03:11:11 AM

Yeah... I like them. I mean, although they're racial, they're not exactly racist.

Although I like the term "differently racist".  :lol:

Yeah.
I can't detect any hate or demeaning shit. It's people dressing up like a racial stereotype that's presented as COOLER than their regular life.
"Differently racist" is better than any term I can come up with for it.  :lol:

Pergamos

And they're made the bimbo company, so if you have some Negrito bimbos they're both racist and sexist.