News:

PD.com: We occur at random among your children.

Main Menu

"Stupid wingnut says something stupid" thread

Started by Cain, December 08, 2009, 09:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

It seems to me that American Exceptionalism is nothing more than any other nationalism....
Which i think is great.  I think nationalism to be an endearing quality of any society, and makes it more likely to have the differentiation necessary for individual cultural development.  which i think is inherently good.
i think that adopting a nationalist viewpoint is an arbitrary decision on the part of the individual, and i don't see any reason to not make it.

fire at will...
:D

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Iptuous on March 20, 2010, 08:57:58 PM
It seems to me that American Exceptionalism is nothing more than any other nationalism....
Which i think is great.  I think nationalism to be an endearing quality of any society, and makes it more likely to have the differentiation necessary for individual cultural development.  which i think is inherently good.
i think that adopting a nationalist viewpoint is an arbitrary decision on the part of the individual, and i don't see any reason to not make it.

fire at will...

Yay!  We're overdue for a good old fashioned huge fucking war.
Molon Lube

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 21, 2010, 05:51:04 AM
Yay!  We're overdue for a good old fashioned huge fucking war.

I presume that you are referring to nationalism, and not this thread....

since i'm relatively certain that you would not be so silly as to suggest that nationalism is necessary and sufficient for a good old fashioned huge fucking war, i'll await for you to expound...

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Iptuous on March 21, 2010, 06:09:22 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 21, 2010, 05:51:04 AM
Yay!  We're overdue for a good old fashioned huge fucking war.

I presume that you are referring to nationalism, and not this thread....

since i'm relatively certain that you would not be so silly as to suggest that nationalism is necessary and sufficient for a good old fashioned huge fucking war, i'll await for you to expound...

Looking at the huge fucking wars in the past, they always followed a period of rampant nationalism.  In fact, it's the only way to get a population behind a war, especially if you're the offensive side.

On an unrelated note, a nationalist is to his nation's leaders as a drone is to the queen bee.  An unthinking, disposable tool.
Molon Lube

Elder Iptuous

I will grant you that, for an offensive war, a heightened sense of nationalism does seem to be necessary to some extent, but i would certainly not say that it is sufficient.
The same could be said of a standing army.  would you suggest that we abandon the notion of a standing army?

as far as a nationalist being an unthinking drone, i dismiss that notion for lack of anything to back it up.  I'm sure you can give examples of unthinking drones that are positively steeped in nationalism, to be sure. but what are you proposing the causal link is?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Iptuous on March 21, 2010, 06:39:53 AM
as far as a nationalist being an unthinking drone, i dismiss that notion for lack of anything to back it up.  I'm sure you can give examples of unthinking drones that are positively steeped in nationalism, to be sure. but what are you proposing the causal link is?

You know, rather than debate the merits of the second biggest problem our species has to deal with, I think I'll just ignore you till you wake the fuck up.  I don't have time for teabaggers, nationalists, or any other brand of yahoo.

Later, dude, and please pass on my "respects" to the brotherhood at GIM.
Molon Lube

Elder Iptuous

Nast

fire at will...

I think nationalism is endearing in the same way as beating one's 70 year old mother is endearing.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nast on March 21, 2010, 06:48:42 AM

fire at will...

I think nationalism is endearing in the same way as beating one's 70 year old mother is endearing.

There was no choice.  She spoke disparagingly of The Fatherland.  So we kicked her ass and fuckinged her house and church.

Ah, nationalism.
Molon Lube

Elder Iptuous

hm... perhaps i'm simply misapplying the word.
i was under the impression that nationalism was a general term that implied a sense of social unity and pride in a nation/society.  a collective identity separate from that of other nations.
If there is a broad understanding that it includes a view that other nations are inherently lesser, or an ever present aggression towards other nations, then that is a more specific meaning than i had in mind....

I do see the tie.  i'm not blind to that.  it's often the case that humanities great strengths are its great weaknesses.  that's just the way it is.  but it seems to me that nationalism is simply a way of saying a heterogeneous collection of human cultures as opposed to the homogeneous singular culture that would be the other end of the spectrum that would result from globalisation and a shrinking world.....

i guess i'm just a naive optimist to think that we can have our cake and eat it to....

Nast

Perhaps you mean patriotism?

Nationalism has some, uh, negative connotations.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Remington

Patriotism: I'm proud my country and will defend it.
Nationalism: My country is better than your country, and I've got 18 divisions of armoured tanks willing to prove it.
Is it plugged in?

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Nast on March 21, 2010, 07:25:44 AM
Perhaps you mean patriotism?

Nationalism has some, uh, negative connotations.

It is my understanding that patriotism was restricted to pride in ones state, where as nationalism was pride in ones nation.  the later seems more important to cultural diversification.

I am aware that there are some negative correlations for the reasons pointed out by the good Dok.
I figure that the correlations do not imply that they are inseparable.

Cain

Nationalism isn't any more inherently stupid than organised religion, but, well....let's just say that isn't exactly words of praise.  Both deserved to be poked with sticks, when they become hilariously out of touch with reality.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Cain on March 21, 2010, 01:27:40 PM
Nationalism isn't any more inherently stupid than organised religion, but, well....let's just say that isn't exactly words of praise.  Both deserved to be poked with sticks, when they become hilariously out of touch with reality.

precisely.
and in that same vein, i view organized religion as one of the more fascinating and beautiful aspects of humanity, regardless of the more negative correlations.
our species, despite the disadvantages of these admittedly divisive qualities, would be less wonderful and varied without them.

I don't hate the monkeys, is what it boils down to, i guess...