News:

Your innocence proves nothing.

Main Menu

Discordian Evangelism

Started by Cramulus, December 09, 2009, 02:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Hey, FP...

Instead of going on and on about why things won't work, how about making some constructive contributions, and framing your posts as ways that things might work?

That way, this thing might get off the ground, instead of grinding to a halt while everyone argues.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: FP on December 09, 2009, 06:19:26 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 09, 2009, 06:11:15 PM
I want to lead them towards thinking for themselves and realizing their situation.  Because I hate them.

I don't particularly care about slack or trolling, or any of that shit.  I want to wake them up, not give them a new woobie.
9/11 woke people up and what happened? Wiping the haze from their eyes they simply followed the loudest shouting yokel, and once back in line fell back asleep.

People, unless motivated otherwise, want to sleep.. it's the most comfortable condition and offers the path of least resistance.

So? Just because people will fall back asleep in a different position means we shouldn't bother trying to wake them up?

Bullshit. If you prod at them enough, some of them will roll off the bed and then they'll HAVE to pay attention for at least a few extra seconds.

And then the Gods of Metaphor come down from the heavens and punish me greatly for this post.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I want to lead them towards thinking for themselves and realizing their situation.  Because I hate them.

I don't particularly care about slack or trolling, or any of that shit.  I want to wake them up, not give them a new woobie.
9/11 woke people up and what happened? Wiping the haze from their eyes they simply followed the loudest shouting yokel, and once back in line fell back asleep.

People, unless motivated otherwise, want to sleep.. it's the most comfortable condition and offers the path of least resistance.

Indeed, I am unsure how you lead someone to Think for Themselves... I have found that it seems to require a particular type of mindset already and/or some kind of life event that pushes the individual through chapel perilous/paradigm shift/crises of conscience/etc.

I mean, RAW IMO did a great job of trying to lead people to TYF,S! but look at the Bobbies and Pinealists and RAWITES and Disciples.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO on December 09, 2009, 06:22:54 PM
Hey, FP...

Instead of going on and on about why things won't work, how about making some constructive contributions, and framing your posts as ways that things might work?

That way, this thing might get off the ground, instead of grinding to a halt while everyone argues.

seconded
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doctor Rat Bastard on December 09, 2009, 06:16:21 PM
FP,

That's why I'm not pro-evangelism. I used to do that shtick and it sucks.

Personally, rather than conversion, I'd rather we behaved like Children of Eris very publicly and then people would want to figure us out... rather than us telling them what we are.

Conversion seems good for grabbing sheep that you can win with witty words... but those kind of people are often just followers. However, being public enough that people start googling for "Discordian Society" or "Eris" or "FOO Prank" might lead them to us.

Though, it might be fun to promote a huge public, visible schism in the 'religion'... fighting over something completely innane (the Golden apple Peelers vs those who find pealing golden apples sacrilege, for example).

Again, I rarely even mention Discordianism, at least not at first.

It's not about buzz phrases and wit.  It's about getting people to wake up and give a shit.  It's about stripping away all the comforting lies and shoving their faces in their own poop.

Again, I really don't like people.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Cainad on December 09, 2009, 06:24:21 PM
So? Just because people will fall back asleep in a different position means we shouldn't bother trying to wake them up?

Bullshit. If you prod at them enough, some of them will roll off the bed and then they'll HAVE to pay attention for at least a few extra seconds.

And then the Gods of Metaphor come down from the heavens and punish me greatly for this post.
I think waking people up is always great. I think finding ways to keep them awake is better.

Hey, FP...

Making these kind of early brainstorming sessions personal, is what generally grinds things to a halt.

Apart from that, I don't see how your comments reflect my actual posts ITT, since I have been following the advice you just gave.

The Good Reverend Roger

Whose fucking fault is that?  We let The Machine™ put them right back to sleep...in fact, more asleep than they ever were, because we let them frame the debate.

If you think it's so fucking hopeless, then go back to your Wii and stop trying to discourage others.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: FP on December 09, 2009, 06:33:18 PM

I think waking people up is always great. I think finding ways to keep them awake is better.

Hey, FP...

Making these kind of early brainstorming sessions personal, is what generally grinds things to a halt.

Apart from that, I don't see how your comments reflect my actual posts ITT, since I have been following the advice you just gave.

JESUS H CHRIST.  YOU'RE DOING IT AGAIN.

Remember when you first joined, and you had to break the habit of riding a bad argument down in flames?  LOOK AT YOUR FUCKING POSTS AND TELL ME WHY THE FUCK YOU'VE BACKSLID INTO DOING THAT AGAIN.

hooplala

Dude, get over it and move on. 
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Cainad (dec.)

Maybe I'm just a buffoon with no foresight, but I'm entirely in favor of screwing around and breaking shit just to see what happens.

Lampooning the War on Christmas to get people riled up, mocking irrational public fears about terrorism and swine flu, making awful jokes about things that victims of the CoN think should only be discussed as Serious Business, and in general acting like a pack of rabid-but-intelligent chimpanzees for no better reason than making a scene are all worthy goals, IMO.

It'll confuse the fuck out of most people, offend a few, and maybe, just maybe, a small handful will get the real joke and find a way to join in.

Or, what TGRR said.

Well, I sure as hell have no idea how to do the latter. Being professionals, we should probably wake up as many people as possible and then see what methods are effective at keeping them awake. So what if most of them fall back asleep? It's science.

LMNO

Quote from: FP on December 09, 2009, 05:14:00 PM
I imagine this site with 10 times as many people with 10 times as many posts, and I wonder how the community could maintain its current identity. I guess it wouldn't...

Quote from: FP on December 09, 2009, 06:08:26 PM
I think there is a contradiction here - we make ourselves the authorities/leaders by the very acts of recruitment and of determining the best ways to infect their minds with our philosophies. Propaganda is a form of mastery over someones mind. It's both a role and a burden -- but I'm not sure we can fully succeed in that role without embracing it and playing all aspects of it.

I mean, we've identified groups ripe for the picking, refined techniques for mindfucking and grabbing attention, but after the dust settles, what is in it for them - what is their payoff - what do we want to lead them towards? The joy of slack? The wisdom of trolling? The fun of all-out internet warfare? Hmm.. maybe unique selling point is the concept I'm struggling to find here.

Right there.

Now, unless you have anything to say that will further the aims of the OP, don't post.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad on December 09, 2009, 06:40:12 PM
Lampooning the War on Christmas to get people riled up, mocking irrational public fears about terrorism and swine flu, making awful jokes about things that victims of the CoN think should only be discussed as Serious Business, and in general acting like a pack of rabid-but-intelligent chimpanzees for no better reason than making a scene are all worthy goals, IMO.

This.

Not everything has to have a happy ending, to have a happy ending.

Captain Utopia

Well, I sure as hell have no idea how to do the latter. Being professionals, we should probably wake up as many people as possible and then see what methods are effective at keeping them awake. So what if most of them fall back asleep? It's science.
I guess we're on the same page then.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 09, 2009, 06:35:10 PM
JESUS H CHRIST.  YOU'RE DOING IT AGAIN.

Remember when you first joined, and you had to break the habit of riding a bad argument down in flames?  LOOK AT YOUR FUCKING POSTS AND TELL ME WHY THE FUCK YOU'VE BACKSLID INTO DOING THAT AGAIN.
Well I just looked at my five posts on this thread ( http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=5806;sa=showPosts ), and I fail to see what's so objectionable.

But you "win", I'll bail from this thread.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 09, 2009, 06:41:45 PM

This.

I agree... if we want to fuck with the sleepers because its fun to fuck with the sleepers, I'm all in. Mostly because if we do it publicly we might be seen by some people with insomnia, if not... we still got to fuck with the sleepers.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 09, 2009, 06:41:45 PM

This.

Cainad's alignment shifts to Chaotic Neutral.