News:

Nothing gets wasted around here

Main Menu

Discordian Evangelism

Started by Cramulus, December 09, 2009, 02:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

It occurs to me that dressing up and going door to door to try and convert people might be a hell of a lot of fun even if its useless.

Hell, especially if its useless.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Freeky

Ooo, Requia, it'd be funnier still if the Jehovah's Witnesses were out and you ended up racing each other.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Requia ☣ on January 09, 2010, 10:55:45 AM
It occurs to me that dressing up and going door to door to try and convert people might be a hell of a lot of fun even if its useless.

I keep thinking about doing this.  I am a wuss so haven't done it yet, but it would be fun.

I'm still waiting till the weather gets a bit better though.

Also it's not the JW's who are likely to get in a debate with you in my experience, it's the Mormons.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Freeky

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on January 09, 2010, 09:39:51 PM

I keep thinking about doing this.  I am a wuss so haven't done it yet, but it would be fun.

Also it's not the JW's who are likely to get in a debate with you in my experience, it's the Mormons.

We don't get door to door mormons here, they are usually more towards the business parts of town. But we do get JWs.

Nast

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on January 10, 2010, 01:38:42 AM

We don't get door to door mormons here, they are usually more towards the business parts of town. But we do get JWs.

Door Mormons! I always get excited when I see them but they never show up at our door. I want to do naughty things to them.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Cramulus

any ideas for recruiting large groups of people at once?

Cain

Cain

Seriously though, I think the best is to

a) do lots of crazy, attention-grabbing stunts
b) provide a platform where people can join in and help
c) make it clear we appreciate any help and interest

Freeky

Quote from: Cramulus on January 10, 2010, 05:15:47 AM
any ideas for recruiting large groups of people at once?

Soap-box scripture reading downtown at the lunch hour?

Telarus

-Have props and costumes to pass out to the crowd (anyone know how to make a paper pope hat?)

-Involve the whole crowd in some repetitive/rit behavior, like a laughing circle.

-[impromptu drama]   ???????

-Give them something to do afterward. Have enough memebombs on cardstock that everyone gets a few. Discuss ideas for placing/using them. Discuss contact networks, like the OmGasm and PosterGasm tags on flikr, etc, etc.

------------------------------------------------------

Finding other group activities and schedule coinciding street-theatre. Throw plastic eggs with meme bombs, etc in them. Have characters accuse some-one in the other group activity of offending their/their-sister honor, or similar mcguffin. Stage ridiculous boffer fights. Pass out fake mustaches. Memorize a rant or two to be recited, practice your frothing at the mouth crazy stance well beforehand. Learn conversation interrupts (many of the memebombs in the database would be good for this).
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Nasturtiums on January 10, 2010, 02:13:39 AM

Door Mormons! I always get excited when I see them but they never show up at our door. I want to do naughty things to them.

Those Mormons will come right in and sit down and they bring movies and everything.  Pretty entertaining movies if you like that sort of thing.  They'll also insist that Mormonism and Paganism are basically the same thing.  I imagine they'd do this with any Religion you light choose to proclaim yourself belonging to.

-Dok Howl

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on January 11, 2010, 07:07:38 PM
Quote from: Nasturtiums on January 10, 2010, 02:13:39 AM

Those Mormons will come right in and sit down and they bring movies and everything.  Pretty entertaining movies if you like that sort of thing.  They'll also insist that Mormonism and Paganism are basically the same thing.  I imagine they'd do this with any Religion you light choose to proclaim yourself belonging to.

Classic move straight from the Original Evangelist:

Quote22 "Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious[3].

23"For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you. 24God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; 25Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things; 26And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; 27That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: 28For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring. 29Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device. 30And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: 31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.
—Acts 17:22-17:31
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

BabylonHoruv

I found it pretty funny and it made it hard for me to take anything else they said seriously.  It could definitely be a fun approach though.

"oh, well Discordianism is basically the same as Catholicism.  We believe in waking up in the morning too"

-Dok Howl

Freeky

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on January 11, 2010, 08:58:10 PM
I found it pretty funny and it made it hard for me to take anything else they said seriously.  It could definitely be a fun approach though.

"oh, well Discordianism is basically the same as Catholicism.  We believe in waking up in the morning too"

I was gonna do the argumentative Discordian thing just to be funny, but I changed my mind because this thread is too full of good ideas to mess with.

Requia ☣

That could be a fun thing to do, have one person present something perfectly innocent as dogma, then have the other person present a perfectly innocent (yet opposite) piece of dogma and get into a flaming row while onlookers watch.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.