News:

PD.com: Taoism in a clown costume.

Main Menu

Teabaggers ask Rep to move his office closer

Started by Iason Ouabache, December 12, 2009, 01:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iason Ouabache

http://thinkprogress.org/2009/12/11/tea-partiers-move-office/

QuoteOne of the members of Congress most targeted by the tea party movement and other far-right political actors has been Rep. Tom Periello (D-VA). Last month, tea party demonstrators even threatened to burn Periello in effigy, citing his support for health care legislation that recently passed the House of Representatives. Now, tea party demonstrators and the University of Virginia College Republicans have enlisted the help of a Christian civil liberties organization to make the demand that Pereillo move his office so that protesters will no longer have their ability to protest him be "hindered":
QuoteA Christian civil liberties organization on Thursday asked centrist Rep. Tom Perriello (D-Va.) to move his district office to a location more favorable to protesters.

The Rutherford Institute, which was founded by conservative constitutional lawyer John W. Whitehead, penned a letter to the freshman Perriello citing the concerns of a local tea party group and the University of Virginia College Republicans that the location of his Charlottesville office interferes with their right to protest there.

"Unfortunately, it is your choice of office location that has hindered the ability of citizens to effectively communicate concerning issues of the utmost importance to you, Congress and the people of the Commonwealth of Virginia," wrote Whitehead.

"The First Amendment clearly guarantees individuals the right to speak out publicly and address their government representatives on the important issues of the day," Whitehead added.

The congressman's press secretary told the media that he has no plans to move his office, largely because he has signed a lease to stay in the building until January 2011.

:lulz:  World's Laziest Patriots!
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Template

:lulz:

Halfbaked1

Ugh...I can't believe I supported some of these assholes.

But in my own defense I was supporting the right to protest, not their POV...still, if you are going to protest have the fucking stamina to walk across town at the very fucking least.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

It's not that odd... I recall the famous Sam Adams letter of Nov 29, 1773

QuoteDear East India Company,

Please move your ships to a dock that is easier for us to access from The Old South Meeting House. It is entirely unacceptable that we must walk clear to the end of the dockyard in order to throw your tea into the water.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Requia ☣

Um, this has nothing to do with how far away his office is. The protesters were told they would be arrested for protesting in front of his office, private property and all that.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Requia ☣ on December 12, 2009, 11:22:28 PM
Um, this has nothing to do with how far away his office is. The protesters were told they would be arrested for protesting in front of his office, private property and all that.
Is there any law that would require him to move his offices to make it easier for them to protest him? They have a right to protest, they don't have a right to force him to move closer so they can yell at him better.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Requia ☣

No, I'm just saying the criticism that they don't want to travel to him is unfounded, they tried going to him and were chased away.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Well to be fair... they're simply not allowed to protest in the parking lot which is shared with several other businesses... They can actually visit the Rep and talk to him like sane human beings... but that doesn't look as cool on Fox News.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Requia ☣ on December 13, 2009, 07:34:50 AM
No, I'm just saying the criticism that they don't want to travel to him is unfounded, they tried going to him and were chased away.

They were told, rightfully, that they couldn't protest in the parking lot. That's not being "chased away". The parking lot is private property and I can see why the building owners wouldn't want protesters in it. Why can't they protest on the sidewalk like everyone else? Is the sidewalk not cush enough for them?

I mean, it's not like the protesters at Planned Parenthood are allowed to use THEIR parking lot, now are they? That's just unreasonable.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jenne

:lol:  Teabaggers just make it too easy to larf at them.  They are an illustration of hyperbole so far into the crazy, that it's hours and hours of quality entertainment, just like their puppetmaste--I mean inveterate supporters on Fux News and the likes of Palin and Rush.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia ☣ on December 13, 2009, 07:34:50 AM

No, they were chased out of the parking lot.  They can use the sidewalk like anyone else.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Elder Iptuous

So what's the specifics?
If they were to go to the sidewalk, would that put them out of range of being heard/seen significantly by him? 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Iptuous on December 14, 2009, 05:30:50 PM
So what's the specifics?
If they were to go to the sidewalk, would that put them out of range of being heard/seen significantly by him? 

Life sucks, wear a hat.

This isn't the government establishing "first amendment zones", this is a private company that wants to use its parking lot for, you know, parking.  Without having cars damaged by angry knuckledraggers.

If he opened a new lease on a new building, they'd jump on him for wasting money with two offices.

If he broke his lease, they'd shriek that he can't even hold to a contract. 

They can stand on the sidewalk and seethe.  EOS.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 14, 2009, 05:34:02 PM
Quote from: Iptuous on December 14, 2009, 05:30:50 PM
So what's the specifics?

Life sucks, wear a hat.

This isn't the government establishing "first amendment zones", this is a private company that wants to use its parking lot for, you know, parking.  Without having cars damaged by angry knuckledraggers.

If he opened a new lease on a new building, they'd jump on him for wasting money with two offices.

If he broke his lease, they'd shriek that he can't even hold to a contract. 

They can stand on the sidewalk and seethe.  EOS.

So, their gripe really is, that they have to stand a little further away?
lame...
if their gripe is to get his attention, and change his mind, then they're idiots.
if their intention is to garner public attention, then the arrests would be a boon, right?  And if they wanted to garner public attention without getting arrested, they could simply choose a different venue that's in public space...