News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

SCRIBD HALP?

Started by Triple Zero, December 14, 2009, 05:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

So loads of very good propaganda and random books are on Scribd. I absolutely LOATHE that place because I can never seem to download the PDFs from it.

Now I'm willing to accept that something in the javascript fucks up in Opera, so I tried Firefox, but it just doesn't fucking work. The page is buggy as hell, I get not founds, or the entire login screen is grayed out and when I click it it disappears, and blah blah blah.

Also the one time, a while ago, when I did get the login to work, it bugged me in a screen I had to click through about downloading PDFs of my own every single time I clicked a PDF to download. It said the message would disappear after I uploaded 3 PDFs of my own, but I just don't have any non-copyrighted stuff that I think is useful to share (that is not on Scribd already).

(the few old posters or flyers I made I have lost)

also FUCK THAT SHIT

so uhm, except for wanting to vent a littlebit about that SHITHOLE THAT IS SCRIBD, I also would like to kindly inquire if anyone happens to know of some kind of sweet ass mass-download tool for this website?

Cause I wanna fetch all that stuff in the propaganda depository, and more.

I tried looking for a firefox extension, but that one didnt work either (was for an old version of FF)

Ideas?

I'll be looking around myself too, and when I find something I'll post.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

that is odd. I also use opera and have never had the problems you've listed.

while we're venting about scribd though,

I recently tried to download one of my poster packs, and found that somehow, downloads had been turned off for ALL of my posters. :mad:

So I went through and MANUALLY enabled downloads for ALL 110+ OF THEM.

also, Zane Edison's poster pack was featured on the scribd front page yesterday, which I thought as kind of weird, because it's the weakest collection in the set, IMHO.

WHAT GIVES, SCRIBD?

Triple Zero

Ah, I think I ran into that as well--was meaning to ask you about it, but forgot.

Browsing for scribd-download-scripts, they are really hard to find! I get mostly spam results and shit.

Guess I'll have to try harder logging in--what kind of login method do you use? Maybe it's just OpenID that doesn't work properly. You just registered a Scribd account, then I suppose?

Then when (if) I *finally* get to download a PDF, I will feed it through BurpProxy, check out what kind of request it's making and hopefully be able to copy it and automate it ... yay another project, like I needed one :)
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Triple Zero

Ok, using a regular Scribd account seems to work.

Additionally, I have figured out, in order to skip the nag screen--there's TWO of them, first bugging you to upload docs and then bugging you to "follow" famous people or something retarded.

Anyway, if you notice the download link (which only works if you're logged on):

http://www.scribd.com/document_downloads/15021482?extension=pdf

you just need to add &skip_interstitial=true to it:

http://www.scribd.com/document_downloads/15021482?extension=pdf&skip_interstitial=true

and no more bitching nag screens. seems like a hassle, but it's 2 minutes of scripting work to fix. which is less than it would take for me to upload 3 PDFs.

Cainad (dec.)

Hey I'm noticing a trend here

SCRIBd is a website which seems to provide a really useful service for free, but tends to fuck up...

SCRIBus is an application that seems to do something really useful for free, but tends to fuck up...

Is there a third computer-based thing that seems to do something useful for free, but tends to fuck up, that also starts with "SCRIB"?

Triple Zero

I think it's only the first three letters, as the SCRID is a server solution that seems to do something useful for free.

Triple Zero

Ok, for anyone that uses Opera, I made this:

http://paste.pocoo.org/show/157411/

install it as an Opera userscript and it will change the big title of the document at the top into a direct link to the PDF download location, including that skip-interstitial trick, so no nag screens, but even if you have uploaded enough content to not get nagscreens anymore, it's still useful because it's simply faster and simpler, just a big download link where you'd expect it to be.

if there are people that use the GreaseMonkey extension for Firefox, give a shout, Opera Userscript is pretty much 99% compatible with GreaseMonkey, but it might need a few minor tweaks. if there's any interest, I'll fix it up for you, otherwise I"ll stick with my Opera userscript :)