News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

parenting - good idea/bad idea

Started by Elder Iptuous, December 17, 2009, 06:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

good idea -
My (almost) three yo son is a creature of habit.  When i put him down to bed the routine should be just so, and if you try to alter it, he looks at you like your an idiot, and insists that you do it right.  we sing some songs before bed.  they are in a specific order.
twinkle twinkle comes first.
then row, row, row your boat.
then there is the option of a few others.
then it ends with jack be nimble.
a couple days ago, i tried to start with row, row, row your boat, and was quickly interrupted that it was twinkle twinkle that we had to do.  I started in, but then mixed the words with row, row, row....  it tripped him up for barely a second before realizing he was being had, and he got upset that i would cheat him thusly.  so i apologized for my accidental screw up and we completed the ritual.
Last night, i was a little more subtle... i started as expected with twinkle twinkle, but sang it to the tune of row, row, row your boat.  I had to run it through my head first, and figured i might screw it up, but it actually didn't sound very forced in the end.  it worked great.  He had a look on his face that he knew something wasn't quite right, and he didn't sing along.  but he didn't immediately catch that he was being cheated.  it was as if he was question his own perceptions or memory rather than what i was presenting to him.
the best part was that half way through he started singing along with the proper incorrect tune, as if it was perfectly natural.  Then, we sang row, row, row with the tune of twinkle twinkle, and he took to it naturally from the beginning without any problem...
after we finished, that song he had a look on his face like he was deep in thought (for a toddler).

-bad idea
http://www.newschannel9.com/news/year-987196-old-christmas.html

Nigel,
whats the status on that Discordian Parenting project?  Were you planning on spearheading it?

AFK

Okay, I'm no rocket scientist, but, if your brilliant parenting skills (I'm referring to the woman in the link, not Iptuous) result in your 4 year old kid getting his hands on some beer and then engaging in theft, wouldn't you want to stay the fuck AWAY from the news cameras? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Freeky

:horrormirth:

That's an interesting idea, iptuous.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Experimentation: The One Reason Why Ratatosk Might Want a Child... someday.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Ip, the fact that you spend that kind of time with your kid means you're a good parent.

EOS.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Dysfunctional Cunt

I tend to avoid fucking with my kid's minds too much.  I always keep in mind that they will be the ones to choose whatever home I end up in.....

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Khara on December 17, 2009, 06:25:32 PM
I tend to avoid fucking with my kid's minds too much.  I always keep in mind that they will be the ones to choose whatever home I end up in.....

I told my kids horrible lies.

"Of course there's monsters under the bed.  Where else would they live?"

Now they don't believe anything without proof, no matter who tells them.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Iptuous on December 17, 2009, 06:06:21 PM
good idea -
My (almost) three yo son is a creature of habit.  When i put him down to bed the routine should be just so, and if you try to alter it, he looks at you like your an idiot, and insists that you do it right.  we sing some songs before bed.  they are in a specific order.
twinkle twinkle comes first.
then row, row, row your boat.
then there is the option of a few others.
then it ends with jack be nimble.
a couple days ago, i tried to start with row, row, row your boat, and was quickly interrupted that it was twinkle twinkle that we had to do.  I started in, but then mixed the words with row, row, row....  it tripped him up for barely a second before realizing he was being had, and he got upset that i would cheat him thusly.  so i apologized for my accidental screw up and we completed the ritual.
Last night, i was a little more subtle... i started as expected with twinkle twinkle, but sang it to the tune of row, row, row your boat.  I had to run it through my head first, and figured i might screw it up, but it actually didn't sound very forced in the end.  it worked great.  He had a look on his face that he knew something wasn't quite right, and he didn't sing along.  but he didn't immediately catch that he was being cheated.  it was as if he was question his own perceptions or memory rather than what i was presenting to him.
the best part was that half way through he started singing along with the proper incorrect tune, as if it was perfectly natural.  Then, we sang row, row, row with the tune of twinkle twinkle, and he took to it naturally from the beginning without any problem...
after we finished, that song he had a look on his face like he was deep in thought (for a toddler).

-bad idea
http://www.newschannel9.com/news/year-987196-old-christmas.html

Nigel,
whats the status on that Discordian Parenting project?  Were you planning on spearheading it?

Yes, I was, and would like to continue collecting materials for it. I started it right before my world went tits-up last fall, so it's been in limbo, but I'd really like to compile a book someday. This is good... really good. I love messing with kids' heads, it makes them into THINKERS.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

-Kel-

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 17, 2009, 06:26:42 PM

My husband wants to do the same thing if/when we have kids, so they question everyone and everything.

Elder Iptuous

I would certainly avoid any sort of malicious 'fucking with'....
I hope i didn't come across as portraying my kiddo as OCD such that this caused him anguish in any way!
I do think that confusing children in some small and controlled ways is good for their minds.  Some of the most poingiant eureka moments i had growing up were specifically triggered by some adult fucking with my mind...

LMNO

I see myself telling stories like this in a few years.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Iptuous on December 17, 2009, 06:38:48 PM

I would certainly avoid any sort of malicious 'fucking with'....
I hope i didn't come across as portraying my kiddo as OCD such that this caused him anguish in any way!
I do think that confusing children in some small and controlled ways is good for their minds.  Some of the most poingiant eureka moments i had growing up were specifically triggered by some adult fucking with my mind...

No and I didn't mean it that way, sorry, I was just being a smart ass!!!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: -Kel- on December 17, 2009, 06:38:14 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 17, 2009, 06:26:42 PM

My husband wants to do the same thing if/when we have kids, so they question everyone and everything.

It works.

But I bet they're gonna beat me when I'm old.

LMNO

Everyone gets their Fun™ in different ways.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: LMNO on December 17, 2009, 06:40:47 PM
I see myself telling stories like this in a few years.

I've been waiting for several years for the chance to tell a story in waiting.  My sister's son being the oldest of the bunch, just lost his first tooth.
Next time i see him, i will mention the hole in his smile, which will prompt him to tell me the story about loosing his tooth.  (sister said it came out when he was brushing his teeth and the blood made an impression on him since it was mixed with toothpaste water, looked like a murder scene)
after he tells his story, i'll tell him that he seemed to take it pretty well.  then i will casually mention, "just wait till your baby fingers start falling off."
I expect he will look at me incredulously and say that's not true.  I'll tell him that he shouldn't expect to live his whole life with tiny little fingers, right?  nope they fall out and you get adult fingers just like with your teeth.
i expect he'll say that his parents never said anything about that, to which i will reply that they didn't tell him about his teeth falling out either, did they?  at that point i will tell him to go ask his dad, and that he should expect him to deny it, but that he will react oddly enough that he should be able to tell that he is hiding something....

My sister is having her third son, at this very moment, and after i take off from work to go up to the hospital, i will see him.  I will report back how the conversation goes...