News:

Testamonial:  And i have actually gone to a bar and had a bouncer try to start a fight with me on the way in. I broke his teeth out of his fucking mouth and put his face through a passenger side window of a car.

Guess thats what the Internet was build for, pussy motherfuckers taking shit in safety...

Main Menu

So Ive ordered this Neural Impulse Actuator / Brain Mouse

Started by bugmenоt, December 19, 2009, 11:50:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugmenоt

After a lot of talking about it and trying to convince my friends that it really exists, I finally ordered it:

QuoteOCZ's Neural Impulse Actuator (nia) marks a new era in gaming. Rather than being a substitute for a mouse, the nia is a pioneering new peripheral to be used in conjunction with your mouse for a more immersive gaming experience. The nia is compatible with any PC game using keyboard input... past, present, or future. Predefined profiles included with the software allow the gamer to develop their own nia—memory to launch the desired behavior of their character and shoot with the "blink of an eye", without lifting a finger.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/ocz_peripherals/nia-neural_impulse_actuator

Isnt this cool? On monday Im getting one of these. Its not the "more immersive gaming experience" im looking for, but I just want to move a cursor and press keys with my thoughts.
Experiences will be posted.

rong

THIS DAMN THING DOESN'T WORK AT ALL!!!
            \
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Soylent Green

Quote from: Saint Bourgeoise on December 19, 2009, 11:50:58 AM
After a lot of talking about it and trying to convince my friends that it really exists, I finally ordered it:

QuoteOCZ's Neural Impulse Actuator (nia) marks a new era in gaming. Rather than being a substitute for a mouse, the nia is a pioneering new peripheral to be used in conjunction with your mouse for a more immersive gaming experience. The nia is compatible with any PC game using keyboard input... past, present, or future. Predefined profiles included with the software allow the gamer to develop their own nia—memory to launch the desired behavior of their character and shoot with the "blink of an eye", without lifting a finger.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/ocz_peripherals/nia-neural_impulse_actuator

Isnt this cool? On monday Im getting one of these. Its not the "more immersive gaming experience" im looking for, but I just want to move a cursor and press keys with my thoughts.

ONLY $110?

Wow, be sure to tell us if it is any good, that is way less than I would expect for something like this.

Hangshai

Pretty fucking cool.  I saw one of those on the discovery channel once a while back, but it was on a show about military tech.  They showed a guy piloting a flight sim with one.  He was flying through rings on the flight sim prog just by thinking of which direction to go.  It really worked with brainwaves though, this NIA thing said something about eye blinks.  Were they talking about speed, I wonder, or does it actually work with eye-movements?
All text and pictures uploaded by/to/from this person/account is/are purely fictional and for entertainment purposes only. Or not.

Chief Uwachiquen

Wondering Monk

Do you have to actually do things like blinking your eye to make it work or can you just think about blinking? because that would be much more interesting and solve the problem of you looking weird... They controlled a wheelchair or something using tech where you only need to think so i know its possible.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

I've heard these sorts of things are cool but don't work particularly well most of the time. It could just be they don't know how to use it.

Hangshai

All text and pictures uploaded by/to/from this person/account is/are purely fictional and for entertainment purposes only. Or not.

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

ahh, yeah because shutterglasses are pretty damn cool for VR applications. I wore them in the full immersive VR room at my university .. trippy! Too bad the apps that ran on it were kind of meh, but I did program a VR version of Blockout with life-size 3D tetris blocks you had to dump into a meters-deep pit that was right in front of your feet.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Hangshai

The 8 bit sega master system had 3-d shutter glasses.  They worked really well, too, from what I remember, but the games were SUPER shitty...

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Saint Bourgeoise on December 19, 2009, 11:50:58 AM

And he was never seen again.  :x
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cainad (dec.)

OP: Have fun! Let us know when you can use this thing to control a giant robot exoskeleton!

bugmenоt

Order the mentionned device now. It will make you happy. :banana:

It kind of works. There are 8 so-called brainfingers which are each seperate dimensions (seperate frequencies which each can vary from a minimum to a maximum).
Each brainfinger can be separately trained by a game of pong. Two of this brainfingers are called "muscle" and "glance". There's nothing mystical behind those two dimensions and after two hours of training they can be controlled quite well.
The other brainfingers are called alpha(1-3) and beta(1-3). I can sort of control alpha1 and beta3, but there's  still a random movement. With shifting and calibrating the brainfingers manually, brain pong can be played very well.
I have forced most of my friends to play brain pong. It's interesting that every person has one or two favourite brainfingers (exept glance and muscle) which they can control quite quickly.

Pity the developers don't publish the specifications for the hardware. Anyway there are some open source projects as Triathlon (http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63090). I'm going to try making it work because i want delete that windows again which i had to install in order to play brain pong.

BRAIN PONG RULEZ!

Triple Zero