News:

Sometimes I rattle the cage and beat my head uselessly against its bars, but sometimes, I can shake one loose and use it as a dildo.

Main Menu

I aint a poet...

Started by Halfbaked1, December 22, 2009, 11:31:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Pariah? on December 25, 2009, 04:49:22 AM
IF you're going to read any poet make it Eliot or Bukowski

Oh my god, you need to shut the fuck up. Really, nothing against eliot or even Bukowski (could you be any more a stereotype) but nothing you have said in this thread is worth more than two shits.

Well, maybe three. If they're in your coffeecup, and they came from TGRR and Richter.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nast

I must confess, I'm don't care for most poetry. There's just so much bad material out there, the only kind I can take seriously is the kind that isn't serious (the same goes religion, as it turns out).

I suppose, like any other artform, it's filled with pretention, wangsty teenagers, and crazy ladies who like cats too much. It's a matter of finding one's way around the crap.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nasturtiums on December 25, 2009, 07:41:08 AM
I must confess, I'm don't care for most poetry. There's just so much bad material out there, the only kind I can take seriously is the kind that isn't serious (the same goes religion, as it turns out).

I suppose, like any other artform, it's filled with pretention, wangsty teenagers, and crazy ladies who like cats too much. It's a matter of finding one's way around the crap.

This is all extremely true.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Halfbaked1 on December 25, 2009, 04:16:44 AM
I used to read Longfellow, keats, Frost and Kipling alot.  They were my introduction to poetry, and my older material is rather derivative of their work I think.  heh, if I could find any of it then I could get your opinion, but that stuff is long gone after 2 decades.  I would like to write poetry worth a darn, I don't feel like I write enough at all anymore, since I used to write short stories and the like all the time.  I really don't feel like any of you were harsh, I appreciate the unadulterated honesty.  Nothing you said was that much worse than critics used to say about some plays that I worked with, my skin is pretty thick to that.

i believe I will start creating more poetry from day to day things and see if it gets any better...shyeah, maybe after 10 or 20 years. :lulz:

Just enjoy it, it's about word play and setting up rules.  Also read it aloud and possibly even play it back.  don't learn poetry, just play with it. Explore associations. Learn mnemonic devices. Recite the works of the prominent poets. Even Bukowski, when he wasn't beating his women.  Pay close attention to the events in the day both forward and backward...keep a journal. Fuck beautiful people.  RANT! get shit out.  Then revise it in a creative way. 

You know, that kind of stuff.