News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

Magic: Who thinks they can do it, and why otherwise intelligent people buy it.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 29, 2009, 08:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

An effort to classify the various types of people who believe in - or profess to believe in - "magick".

1.  Fat smelly pagan women (FSPW).  The thing to remember here is that there is no reason FSPW are the way they are...they spontaneously generate in the cracks of smelly old couches, and they cannot change.  They think of themselves as "Earth Mothers", etc, or even "crones", and will wheeze endlessly about the Goddess they're "working with" this week.

2.  Weedy guys who want to fuck FSPW.  Nobody knows WHY they do, because any gratification they would receive must surely be offset by the horrible necessity of picking 6" pubic hairs out of your teeth afterward.  Scientists don't know WHY they do what they do, they just know they do it.

3.  Crazy people.  Nuff said.  This catagory includes the kind of fuckos that The History Channel is aiming at when they run 12 straight hours of Nostradumbass programming.

4.  Fucked up monkeys that staggered out of the cave, discovered that the universe is really fucking big and complex, and staggered back into the cave to beat on a hollow log and pretend the universe isn't out there.  But it is.

5.  The Welsh.  Horrible, horrible.

Did I miss anyone?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

BabylonHoruv

You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on December 29, 2009, 09:02:17 PM
Pretty sure I fall under #2

Please put the horribly long pubes in your pocket as you extract them from your teeth.  We don't want them all over the carpet.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 29, 2009, 09:03:33 PM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on December 29, 2009, 09:02:17 PM
Pretty sure I fall under #2

Please put the horribly long pubes in your pocket as you extract them from your teeth.  We don't want them all over the carpet.

Also, you can twist them into mystical braids to tie on to your medicine wand or whatever. :lulz:

Salty

The Chronically Unimaginative: These are people who study the occult because it's occult, and all mystical and mysterious and whatnot. These people are typically Ex-Catholic (or pumped up on jesus-juice in one way or another.), and have a hard time letting go to grooved, repetitive thinking. The "occult" offers a relatively secular, safely obscure*, and satisfyingly jargon filled means of Not Submitting To The Dominant Paradigm[tm].

I totally used to be one of these.

*And therefor an ego boost. "You mean, you don't know enochian by heart? GTFO out my life, please."
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Alty on December 29, 2009, 09:09:56 PM
The Chronically Unimaginative: These are people who study the occult because it's occult, and all mystical and mysterious and whatnot. These people are typically Ex-Catholic (or pumped up on jesus-juice in one way or another.), and have a hard time letting go to grooved, repetitive thinking. The "occult" offers a relatively secular, safely obscure*, and satisfyingly jargon filled means of Not Submitting To The Dominant Paradigm[tm].

*And therefor an ego boost. "You mean, you don't know enochian by heart? GTFO out my life, please."

Yes, there's that too.  Thanks.

Anyone else?

NotPublished

In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

singer

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 29, 2009, 09:11:03 PM

Anyone else?
Knee-jerk reactionaries who are so threatened by an association with the aforementioned that they can only consider similar underlying concepts if they are carefully concealed in non-threatening semantic packages, like, "mind-hack"?

(And I will; readily confess to being pretty close to this subset.  Oh.  Yeah.  And there may be some Welsh in the family lineage.)
"Magic" is one of the fundamental properties of "Reality"

Salty

Satanists: I think they really deserve their own niche.
Born-Again Atheists who are so repulsed by their deep love of a fatherly omnipotence , yet so attached to the funny hats that they have to take the most retarded aspects of that religion and shove into everyone's face to make themselves feel better.

Also, they enjoy using "Through Adversity, Strength" as an open door to racism, sexism, and other fucking stupid isms.

They use magic because they're lame and want to feel not so lame.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

I've been reading some of the Order of the Nine Angels blogs recently, and that Satanism one rings so true.

They even refer to people who aren't in the ONA as "mundanes".  Srsly.

NotPublished

Wow that is a pretty crap fest.

ONA are just pretentious snobs by the sound of it
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: singer on December 29, 2009, 09:31:03 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 29, 2009, 09:11:03 PM

Anyone else?
Knee-jerk reactionaries who are so threatened by an association with the aforementioned that they can only consider similar underlying concepts if they are carefully concealed in non-threatening semantic packages, like, "mind-hack"?

(And I will; readily confess to being pretty close to this subset.  Oh.  Yeah.  And there may be some Welsh in the family lineage.)

Threatened?  :lulz:

Also, I didn't bring up "mind hack", nor was that what I was talking about.  I am not referring to dressing up in funny clothes and doing silly things because that's the only way you can change your "reality tunnel".  I'm talking about magic as in spells, etc.

Rat says mind hacks are not magic in the Harry Potter sense, and that was what I was talking about.  Now you are saying mind hacks ARE Harry Potter bullshit?  Am I reading this right?

Cain

Quote from: Z³ on December 29, 2009, 09:46:24 PM
Arent the ONA the ones who claim to use human sacrifice?

Yeah.  And commune with the "Elder Gods" a la Lovecraft.  And one of their previous leaders, "Anton Long" is allegedly David Myatt, second in command of the Neo-Nazi Combat 18, one-time bodyguards for the BNP's leadership.