News:

Can anyone ever be sufficiently committed to Sparkle Motion?

Main Menu

Magic: Who thinks they can do it, and why otherwise intelligent people buy it.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, December 29, 2009, 08:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epimetheus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 30, 2009, 01:08:12 AM
Quote from: Epimetheus on December 29, 2009, 11:54:42 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 29, 2009, 09:59:12 PM
Then why call it "magic", if it's a psychological trick?

Why not?

Because it's not accurate.

Howzat? What kind of meaning are you giving the word? and who cares what words mindhackers use as long as we all get it? and fuck the people who don't get it.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Epimetheus on December 30, 2009, 06:12:32 PM

Why not?

Howzat? What kind of meaning are you giving the word? and who cares what words mindhackers use as long as we all get it? and fuck the people who don't get it.

The one in the dictionary.

But since we're just going to make up new meanings for words, why limit ourselves to magic?  Why not render the entire language into gibberish, like a pack of braindead pinealists?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Epimetheus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 30, 2009, 06:15:11 PM

Why not?

But since we're just going to make up new meanings for words, why limit ourselves to magic?  Why not render the entire language into gibberish, like a pack of braindead pinealists?

Quote from: Princeton2. an illusory feat; considered magical by naive observers

Quote from: Dictionary.com1.   the art of producing illusions as entertainment by the use of sleight of hand, deceptive devices, etc.; legerdemain; conjuring: to pull a rabbit out of a hat by magic.
2.   the art of producing a desired effect or result through the use of incantation or various other techniques that presumably assure human control of supernatural agencies or the forces of nature. Compare contagious magic, imitative magic, sympathetic magic.
6.   any extraordinary or mystical influence, charm, power, etc.: the magic in a great name; the magic of music; the magic of spring.

These seem to work, Roger.

Salty

These magic threads are worse than the emo threads.
They are, in fact, worse than cake.

I was sitting here, spitting and cursing and trying to think of why I've gotten so angry over this. Simple really, we've left out a primary, all-encompassing, VERY IMPORTANT part of magic. No one even mentioned it.

Who does magic?
Unicorns do:

Why do they do magic?
Because if they don't, they'll die. So believe in magic folks, unless you hate unicorns. You don't...hate Jesus Unicorns, do you?

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Epimetheus on December 30, 2009, 06:34:04 PM

Why not?

Quote from: Dictionary.com1.   the art of producing illusions as entertainment by the use of sleight of hand, deceptive devices, etc.; legerdemain; conjuring: to pull a rabbit out of a hat by magic.
2.   the art of producing a desired effect or result through the use of incantation or various other techniques that presumably assure human control of supernatural agencies or the forces of nature. Compare contagious magic, imitative magic, sympathetic magic.
6.   any extraordinary or mystical influence, charm, power, etc.: the magic in a great name; the magic of music; the magic of spring.

Socket wrench in the pie pan, Johnny Cash.  Termites.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Epimetheus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 30, 2009, 06:53:45 PM

I accept your surrender.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Epimetheus on December 30, 2009, 06:59:53 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 30, 2009, 06:53:45 PM

I accept your surrender.

WEDNESDAY!  UNDERPANCE BOMB!  My parachute has many red shoes!

Epimetheus

The Good Reverend Roger

Freeky

This thread has reached "wtf r u guiz srsly srs" of sparkly vampire proportions.

:horrormirth:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on December 30, 2009, 07:06:16 PM
This thread has reached "wtf r u guiz srsly srs" of sparkly vampire proportions.

:horrormirth:

That's okay, Epimetheus wants to be a shitbird?  Gibberish is all he gets, anywhere, out of me from this date forward.

LMNO

Epimetheus

I admit the partial idiocy of my "use whatever words you want" point, but have you never heard of slang or inside jokes? To be used a word doesn't have to have a meaning recognized by literally everyone. And if you and a bunch of friends decided a meaning for "socket wrench in the pie pan," then you could go ahead and use it. Just don't use it with people outside of the "in"-group, or be ready to be called crazy. And I'll use "magic" to mean whatever I want, when I'm talking to the people who know what I mean by it. And I won't use it when I'm with people who'll think I mean supernatural mumbo-jumbo or who will think I'm crazy.
Make sense?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Epimetheus on December 30, 2009, 07:27:05 PM
I admit the partial idiocy of my "use whatever words you want" point, but have you never heard of slang or inside jokes? To be used a word doesn't have to have a meaning recognized by literally everyone. And if you and a bunch of friends decided a meaning for "socket wrench in the pie pan," then you could go ahead and use it. Just don't use it with people outside of the "in"-group, or be ready to be called crazy. And I'll use "magic" to mean whatever I want, when I'm talking to the people who know what I mean by it. And I won't use it when I'm with people who'll think I mean supernatural mumbo-jumbo or who will think I'm crazy.
Make sense?

Smash box microwave Bob Hopes!