News:

Already planning a hunger strike against the inhumane draconian right winger/neoliberal gun bans. Gun control is also one of the worst forms of torture. Without guns/weapons its like merely existing and not living.

Main Menu

Stuff I need to read.

Started by The Wizard, January 02, 2010, 07:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard

Would you guys mind suggesting some books I should read? I'm still looking for something, but I need some ideas on what to read next. I'm looking for books on politics, philosophy, magic, Discordianism, religion, subversive theory, and the like. It would be greatly appreciated.  :)
Insanity we trust.

Jasper

You'll get a lot of good stuff on those subjects from others, but I like to think that a brief review of the universe is a great place to start with all this.  It provides perspective and forces you to appreciate the vast strangeness taking place in our mundane universe before you start looking at the strange things inside people's minds.  To that end I would put forth The Astronomy Cafe : Dr. Sten Odenwald as a book that you would find enriching and supplemental to your chosen curriculum.

Triple Zero

Fooled By Randomness, The Language Instinct, Undercover Economist, Head First Programming

first three are some of the books that had the biggest impact on my mind the past 2-3 years, the last one is a beginner's book on programming, a skill that will fuck the everloving brains out of your analytical reasoning, in a good way.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Politics:

Zones of Conflict: US Foreign Policy in the Balkans and Greater Middle East - Vassilis Fouskas
Brave New War - John Robb
Welcome to the Desert of the Real - Slavoj Zizek
The Family - Jeff Sharlet
The Shock Doctrine - Naomi Klein
Leo Strauss and the Politics of American Empire - Anne Norton
Government of the Shadows: Parapolitics and Criminal Sovereignty - Eric Wilson and Tim Lindsey
McMafia - Misha Glenny
NATO's Secret Armies: Operation Gladio and Terrorism in Western Europe - Daniele Glasner
Mercenaries, Pirates and Sovereigns - Janice E. Thompson
Black Sun: Aryan Cults, Esoteric Nazism and the Politics of Identity - Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke
The Accidental Guerrilla - David Kilcullen

Philosophy

The Will to Power - Friedrich Nietzsche (ed. by Kaufmann)
Voltaire's Bastards - John Ralston Saul
What Is Philosophy? - Deleuze and Guattari
The Seducer's Diary - Soren Kierkegaard
Philosophy as a Humanistic discipline - Bernard Williams
Simulations - Baudrillard
Society Must Be Defended - Foucault
On Moral Ends - Cicero
Tractatus Theologico-Politicus - Spinoza
Ethica Ordine Geometrico Demonstrata - Spinoza

Magic

Doesn't exist, spag

Liber ABA - Crowley
A Psychonaut's Guide to the Invisible Landscape - Dan Carpenter
An Illustrated Goetia Guide - Duquette
Liber Null - Peter Carroll
Peter Levenda - Sinister Forces: Book One
The Art of Memetics

Discordianism

Apocrypha Discordia
The Wise Book of Baloney - Hoopla
Book of Eris - Verthaine
Illuminatus! - RAW and Shea
Zenarchy - Thornley
The Book of the Subgenius - Stang et al
Revelation X - Stang et al
Summa Discordia

Religion

Basically every major religious text, ever.

Subversive Theory (whatever that is...)

Society of the Spectacle - Guy Debord
The Revolution of Everyday Life - Raoul Vangiem
Guy Debord and the Situationist International: Texts and Documents - Tom McDonough
Ourspace: resisting the corporate control of culture - Christine Harold
Handbook for Bloggers and Cyber-dissidents - Reporters Without Frontiers
Unrestricted Warfare - Qiao Liang and Wang Xiangsui
The Thirty-Six Strategems
The Freedom Fighter's Manual/Nicuragua Sabotage Manual - Central Intelligence Agency
No Tech Hacking: A Guide to Social Engineering, Dumpster Diving and Shoulder Surfing - Johnny Long
The Assault on Culture: Utopian currents from Lettrisme to Class War - Stewart Home
Culture Jamming - Mark Drey
Alchemist of the Avant-Garde: The Case Of Marcel Duchamp - John F Moffit
TAZ and Ontological Anarchy - Hakim Bey
Manufacturing discontent: the trap of individualism in corporate society - Michael Perlman
Prison Notebooks - Antonio Gramsci
Coup d'État: A Practical Handbook - Edward Luttwark

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 02, 2010, 10:24:58 AM
Fooled By Randomness, The Language Instinct, Undercover Economist, Head First Programming

first three are some of the books that had the biggest impact on my mind the past 2-3 years, the last one is a beginner's book on programming, a skill that will fuck the everloving brains out of your analytical reasoning, in a good way.
i got that for christmas!
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Triple Zero

From Cain's list, I gotta second, No Tech Hacking--I enjoyed that read a lot, lots of cool anecdotes too.

However, I think I read Liber Null, at least most of it, and um, what's so great about it? I mean, sure, it might be one of the defining books on chaos magick, but honestly the stuff that it "defines" is really really really vague. Not so much as to say a load of crap, cause it's so vague. Chaos magick, interesting, funny, but if you're gonna recommend books on the subject, I'd pick Art of Memetics as the only one that touches the subject that has any pretention of practical application about it [apart from fapping to squiggly doodles, which is "practical application" in the strict sense of the word, but not really in any useful sense]

Unless I forgot what was in Liber 0, but IIRC I was pretty disappointed when I read it, from hearing so much about it.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Cain

I only suggested it because it seems that Semaj isn't well acquainted with the basics and its a highly cited work.  Best to read it now, instead of having thousands of people telling him to read it later on, if he intends to continue down the occult route.

The Wizard

QuoteI only suggested it because it seems that Semaj isn't well acquainted with the basics and its a highly cited work.

Ya, you're right on that point. I'm currently working my way to becoming an amateur.

Also, thanks for the suggestions, most of which I haven't read. Thank you, guys.
Insanity we trust.

Xooxe

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 02, 2010, 10:24:58 AMthe last one is a beginner's book on programming, a skill that will fuck the everloving brains out of your analytical reasoning, in a good way.

The little programming that I have done has been really helpful towards my understanding of biology or systems in general. Something that looks simple on the outside could have involved intense 'problem solving'. I know it's kind of obvious that something usually is more complicated than it seems, but it helped mature my appreciation of it. I'd recommend Python to anyone.  :)

Cain

I've heard Python is really good for a beginner as well.

Xooxe

It's very good for a beginner, and also has the perk of being highly useful. The language itself can be fairly simple, so you can quickly reach the point where you can appreciate some of the hidden enclaves of functionality that go into making a working system.

Okay, that sentence sounded a bit ridiculous. It is quite easy to pick up, and very rewarding. Quite a useful skill now that computers are so widely used.

LMNO

I'm not sure what you have already read, but:

Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid
Quantum Psychology
Prometheus Rising
The Secret
Beneath Reality
The Book of Lies
The Chicken Kabala

Triple Zero

LMNO

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.