News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

Idea for a TV show

Started by Cain, January 04, 2010, 04:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

So, as mentioned on IRC, I had an idea for a TV show.  I'm imagining it as kind of a cross between The Wire and Breaking Bad, though my conception of that may change.

The setting would be mostly British Columbia and Vancouver in particular, though some of it would be set across the border too.  Basically, the show would follow the B.C. drug trade, which is worth (about now) roughly $6 billion a year. 

Because of a particular trade deal pushed through by Bush II in 2006 or 2007, Canadian hardwoods were subject to massive tariffs when entering the US, which essentially drove Canadian lumberjacks out of business.  Because they know the vast wastes of Canadia better than most people, and because, hey, ya gotta earn a living, these guys started to grow and deal weed (all this is true, btw).  Equally, there are more than a few US veterans who have moved to Canada or right on the border to gain access to weed, whether due to injuries they sustained in one war or another, or for more philosophical (ie libertarian) reasons.  I was thinking of introducing two other groups as well, the west coast hippie types, and B.C. sepratists, who apparently do exist, but are not especially popular.

The main idea of the series was to follow the problems and issues affecting these different groups.  Obviously though, that would just be to introduce things, so people get a grip on the social dynamics.  Then, PLOT!  Basically, according to the RCMP, the Hells Angels control most of the drug trade into and out of Vancouver.  Lots of their guys working the port (again, factually true).  And they are not happy with a bunch of bumfuck Lumberjacks and hippies undercutting their trade.  And so the conflict between highly organized crime, the Canadian authorities and our highly disorganized "heroes" is set. 

Now obviously, it actually needs some characters.  Unfortunately, I haven't gotten that far yet.  However, as a setting, I think it has potential.  Maybe?

Triple Zero

as long as you don't make it as utterly depressing as Breaking Bad. as much as I like the concept of that show, it's taking me so long to get through it, as after just about every episode I have this really bad sinking feeling of gaaaawwwwd they're all so fucked and it got even worse than last time.

the only reason why I would continue watching is that there's like 4 seasons of it (right?) and I just sort of wonder what kind of horrible shit they can drag out of it.

but it's all so... and he's lying to his wife and kid and they think he's cheating but in fact it's much worse and then there's the criminals that are fucking bastards and the DEA on his tail and and and ... urgh :(

so euhm, for characters ... can we has a comic relief?

btw a mildly retarded son doesnt count.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

I was thinking the hippies would be comic relief, for sure.  Maybe the B.C. sepratists too (though I want to throw in a crazy hardcore Québécois guy as well).  I think there are only two seasons of Breaking Bad, I've only just seen the first myself.

Triple Zero

Oh ok then I'm mistaken with some other series. I'm halfway the second season :)

Just checked wikipedia, 3rd season is expected to be aired in March'010.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

maphdet

Lumberjacks, vets, separatists, hippies, weed, B. C.
Who wouldn't watch it.

I think if you added a geek/computer type of character it would appease just about everyone.

My two cents worth for now.

Oh and I watch Breaking Bad-it's not all that depressing-;)
I wanna see if he gets cought (sp) or not.
I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

phi

Needs more forbidden love to make it crappy enough to  be on TV. Perhaps a Lumberjack falls in love with a Hippie?
Quote from: Shrunkenheadspace on January 24, 2010, 03:44:12 AM
Only 41 more posts til Clue Jr!
Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on January 24, 2010, 05:43:57 AM
You're some kind of off-balancing piece of shit that just tears a hole in the whole god damned spectrum of life and creates a friggin mess out of everything.

Jasper

The crappy forbidden love schtick would work best between a hells angel and a hippie.

phi

Quote from: Felix on January 08, 2010, 07:49:21 AM
The crappy forbidden love schtick would work best between a hells angel and a hippie.
But if it was a lumberjack and a hippie, there could be a kinky bondage scene when the hippie ties themselves to a tree to stop logging.
You're some kind of off-balancing piece of shit that just tears a hole in the whole god damned spectrum of life and creates a friggin mess out of everything.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Felix on January 08, 2010, 07:49:21 AM
I'd go with lumberjack and corrupt drug agent. Maybe lumberjack's sister and upstanding drug agent. That way you get forbidden love plus divided loyalties.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

The Johnny

I think no network would make a show out of it... its based too much on real issues and politics.

But it is a great idea.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

phi

Quote from: JohNyx on January 10, 2010, 02:09:41 AM

I think no network would make a show out of it... its based too much on real issues and politics.

But it is a great idea.
That's where the cheesy love plot comes in to save the day! Oh, and the bondage if it's aired by Fox. But only Fox, any other station would get shut down by police dogs funded by Rupert Murdoch.

The Johnny

Quote from: WIKIPEDIA
On her 18th birthday, Bella Swan wakes up from a dream in which she sees herself as an old woman. She expresses her distaste with growing older than her boyfriend Edward Cullen, a vampire who stopped aging physically at 17. Despite her lack of enthusiasm, Edward's adoptive family throws Bella a birthday party. While unwrapping a gift, Bella gets a paper cut, causing Edward's brother, Jasper, to become overwhelmed by her blood's scent and attempt to kill her. Realizing the danger that he and his family pose to Bella, Edward ends their relationship, and the Cullens leave Forks, Washington permanently.

OMFG GUAYS !!!!!

BRITISH COLUMBIA IS RIGHT NEXT TO WHERE THE SETTING TO "NEW MOON" TOOK PLACE !11!

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Where the hell is Forks, WA?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Johnny

-B.F. Skinner

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oh. I looked at it on a map. Horribly, I was there on my first road trip with my third husband.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."