News:

Heaven is a sausage party.

Main Menu

Idea for a TV show

Started by Cain, January 04, 2010, 04:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

Does it even matter, as long as she's a perky goth partial to plaid miniskirts and halter tops?

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Cainad on January 22, 2010, 03:39:26 AM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on January 21, 2010, 11:27:08 PM
Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on January 21, 2010, 03:35:22 PM
Quote from: maphdet on January 04, 2010, 05:13:43 PM
I think if you added a geek/computer type of character it would appease just about everyone.

No, sorry. Pet peeve: computer geek characters written by people who are not computer geeks. The easiest way to lose the geeky segment of the audience is to add a computer geek character (particularly if his or her existence doesn't make any sense), since inevitably the plot will call for that character to do something that the screenwriter doesn't know how to actually do, and the character will then 'explain' it with bullshit. Solutions: geeky character explains nothing (or gives very vague explanations, or lampshades with "if I told you I'd be out of a job", or something). Alternately, geeky character is a cute perky goth girl -- nobody minds characters like that, regardless of how little sense they make.

Just means the writers need to do their homework.  It's not that hard to hire a real geek as a technical consultant to make sure the details are right.

Hire = money

Why spend it when the majority of your audience won't know the damn difference anyway?

Because if you get geeky fans, they will buy all your merchandise, watch all your episodes, and buy at retail prices the three re-releases of season six you made with slightly longer or shorter eyecatches despite the fact that barely anyone watched season six when it aired.

Does it even matter, as long as she's a perky goth partial to plaid miniskirts and halter tops?
Well, if it's between that and Doing The Research...

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

LMNO

I would gladly research perky goth girls in plaid skirts and halter tops.

LMNO
-can take the kid out of the club, but can't take the club out of the kid.

NotPublished

Does it even have to make sense?

Why not hire a random bum from the streets and he turns out to be a Geek-genious. Could call him Ed?

ALT. The Goth Perky chick is cool
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

President Television

A perky goth chick hobo geek named Edwina.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

NotPublished

Freeky

President Television

My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Triple Zero

another problem is that realistic tech geeking or hacking is simply boring to watch.

remember how in Matrix 3 Trinity opened up a realistic linux terminal and typed a couple of realistic hacking commands into it? it was maybe 3 seconds, pleased the geeks, but any longer would have been excruciatingly boring.

even for a true geek. come on, everybody who noticed that terminal thing in matrix 3, did you ever watch a screencast showing how to break into a WiFi network with Kismet? maybe if you edit it down to two minutes, and a kickass soundtrack and splice it up with the Bourne-esque action scenes happening elsewhere, but even then! BAM BOOM FIGHT THUDD--cut to guy typing at a screen, clicking a mouse--EXPLODE RATATATATATA ZOOM--cut, guy clicks a button, plucks at his goatee while watching an animated hourglass--SHATTERING GLASS AND SWEATY MUSCLES--cut, animated hourglass, guy plays with the mousecursor a littlebit--SOMEONE IS RUNNING AWAY WITH THE ATOMIC DOOMSDAY DEVICE--guy switched to his browser, is typing a Fresh Prince spoof on a 4chan thread--

well it might be fun for the novelty of it, once.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

NotPublished

Ok, a Perky Goth chick who isn't a hacker but she's a Marine Biologist named Edwina - she goes scuba diving, but her nose ring gets stuck at the bottom of the ocean cause a Lobster grabs it with pincers - also she happens to be an extreme vegan, so she doesn't want to harm the lobster cause they have rights to, but the lobster pierces her oxygen tank then she drowns.

.. Good for 1 use only. Then they can explain the crazy psychology using Advanced Linguistics and Sewing Patterns then just make vegans look wrong.

Or just make a show about meercats again.

I forget why I wrote that, probably with good reason.

But I suppose its a good idea to look at the character dynamics and stuff. I always like it in shows when theres a character who puts another down, and theres obvious conflict .. cause then you can get into it and be like "Oh no way what a bitch!!"

President Television

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 23, 2010, 12:57:24 PM
another problem is that realistic tech geeking or hacking is simply boring to watch.

remember how in Matrix 3 Trinity opened up a realistic linux terminal and typed a couple of realistic hacking commands into it? it was maybe 3 seconds, pleased the geeks, but any longer would have been excruciatingly boring.

even for a true geek. come on, everybody who noticed that terminal thing in matrix 3, did you ever watch a screencast showing how to break into a WiFi network with Kismet? maybe if you edit it down to two minutes, and a kickass soundtrack and splice it up with the Bourne-esque action scenes happening elsewhere, but even then! BAM BOOM FIGHT THUDD--cut to guy typing at a screen, clicking a mouse--EXPLODE RATATATATATA ZOOM--cut, guy clicks a button, plucks at his goatee while watching an animated hourglass--SHATTERING GLASS AND SWEATY MUSCLES--cut, animated hourglass, guy plays with the mousecursor a littlebit--SOMEONE IS RUNNING AWAY WITH THE ATOMIC DOOMSDAY DEVICE--guy switched to his browser, is typing a Fresh Prince spoof on a 4chan thread--

It would work very well for comedic purposes, I think.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: NotPublished on January 23, 2010, 03:20:52 PM
Ok, a Perky Goth chick who isn't a hacker but she's a Marine Biologist named Edwina - she goes scuba diving, but her nose ring gets stuck at the bottom of the ocean cause a Lobster grabs it with pincers - also she happens to be an extreme vegan, so she doesn't want to harm the lobster cause they have rights to, but the lobster pierces her oxygen tank then she drowns.

.. Good for 1 use only. Then they can explain the crazy psychology using Advanced Linguistics and Sewing Patterns then just make vegans look wrong.

Or just make a show about meercats again.

I forget why I wrote that, probably with good reason.

But I suppose its a good idea to look at the character dynamics and stuff. I always like it in shows when theres a character who puts another down, and theres obvious conflict .. cause then you can get into it and be like "Oh no way what a bitch!!"

Realistic hacking portrayal - NECESSARY.  A lobster piercing an aluminum or stainless steel tank with its claw - TOTALLY ALRIGHT.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Requia ☣

You don't necessarily *need* to show the hacking, I mean, they never show the lab guy doing the DNA analysis on CSI right?  He just says he did it.  Just make sure if the character explains anything what they say would actually work, and if its not something you think the rest of the audience will understand, have the other characters lampshade that.

A geek character that has obsessions *other* than Star Trek would be nice too.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

President Television

Quote from: Requia ☣ on January 23, 2010, 09:48:53 PM

You don't necessarily *need* to show the hacking, I mean, they never show the lab guy doing the DNA analysis on CSI right?  He just says he did it.  Just make sure if the character explains anything what they say would actually work, and if its not something you think the rest of the audience will understand, have the other characters lampshade that.

A geek character that has obsessions *other* than Star Trek would be nice too.

Geek should be a LARPer, and then there should be an episode in which the geek actually gets to put swordfighting skills to use.