News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

The toad who controlled $10 billion

Started by Cain, January 14, 2010, 06:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

QuoteDepartment chiefs from the Industrial Bank of Japan's headquarters would take the bullet train down from Tokyo to Osaka in order to attend a weekly ceremony presided over by the toad. On arriving at Nui's house, the IBJ bankers would join the elite stockbrokers from Yamaichi Securities and other trading houses in a midnight vigil. First they would pat the head of the toad. Then they would recite prayers in front of a set of Buddhist statues in Nui's garder. Finally Madame Nui would seat herself in front of the toad, go into a trance, and deliver the oracle — which stocks to buy and which to sell. The financial markets in Tokyo trembled at the verdict. At his peak in 1990, the toad controlled more than $10 billion in financial investments, making its owner the world's largest individual stock investor.

Alex Kerr, Dogs and Demons, page 78

Rococo Modem Basilisk

So, there was a human 'interpreter' for the magic precog toad...

Why didn't they just stick with the i-ching?

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Elder Iptuous

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on January 14, 2010, 06:23:00 PM
So, there was a human 'interpreter' for the magic precog toad...

Why didn't they just stick with the i-ching?

Because the i-ching stocks lost money probably.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl