News:

No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience.

Main Menu

If you're running Microsoft Windoze

Started by Bebek Sincap Ratatosk, January 18, 2010, 04:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Per the recent vulnerability announcement from Microsoft (here's some symptoms to help id it if you have a problem).

Evidence of Remote Code Execution (the specific vulnerability called out in the advisory):

·         Account lockout policies are being tripped.

·         Automatic Updates, Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS), Windows Defender, and Error Reporting Services are disabled.

·         Domain controllers respond slowly to client requests.

·         The network is congested.

·         Various security-related Web sites cannot be accessed.

·         Various security-related tools will not run.

·         In some cases, you may see svchost.exe crashes in module netapi32.dll.  This will only occur if the attack fails, however.

Not a joke or Snopes, this is just your run of the mill new virus bullshit. Thought it might be useful for the IT geeks among us.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Wow, what a pile of horseshit this be.

Watch yer internets melt away, ye scurvy spags.

Linux be better, me says...yarrrrghhh!

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

The Johnny

Quote from: Ratatosk on January 18, 2010, 04:04:43 PM
Per the recent vulnerability announcement from Microsoft (here's some symptoms to help id it if you have a problem).

Evidence of Remote Code Execution (the specific vulnerability called out in the advisory):

·         Automatic Updates, Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS), Windows Defender, and Error Reporting Services are disabled.

·         In some cases, you may see svchost.exe crashes in module netapi32.dll.  This will only occur if the attack fails, however.

Not a joke or Snopes, this is just your run of the mill new virus bullshit. Thought it might be useful for the IT geeks among us.

:walken: :fishhook: :zombie: :crankey: :crankey: :nuke: :cramstipated:

THATS WHAT I HAD ALL THRU LAST MONTH GODDAMIT AND NWO THE SECURITY COMMUNITY FIGURES IT OUT !!!!???? FUCK THEM IN THE BUTT !!!!!!!!!!!! I ALREADY HAD TO FORMAT TWO COMPUTERS
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: JohNyx on January 18, 2010, 06:56:26 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on January 18, 2010, 04:04:43 PM

:walken: :fishhook: :zombie: :crankey: :crankey: :nuke: :cramstipated:

THATS WHAT I HAD ALL THRU LAST MONTH GODDAMIT AND NWO THE SECURITY COMMUNITY FIGURES IT OUT !!!!???? FUCK THEM IN THE BUTT !!!!!!!!!!!! I ALREADY HAD TO FORMAT TWO COMPUTERS

They're tagging this as a zero day attack... maybe you got the early beta preview of it.  :lulz:

Golden Applesauce

Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Remington

What's Internet Explorer? It is some kind of third-party rip-off of Firefox or Chrome?
Is it plugged in?

Freeky

I can't tell if you're being facetious or not, Remmy.

YUO MADE ME LOOK STUFF UP FOR NOTHING, PROBABLY!!! :argh!:

Remington

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on January 19, 2010, 02:27:34 AM
Maaaaaybe.
IT'S THE ONLY WAY YUO WILL EVER LEARN
Is it plugged in?

Freeky

Quote from: Remington on January 19, 2010, 03:48:03 AM
Maaaaaybe.
IT'S THE ONLY WAY YUO WILL EVER LEARN
YUO MADE ME LEARNING!  :argh!:

Jasper

Fact:  My windows box that I was using for the big screen shat the bed yesterday.  Now I have to put linux on it.  Luckily I was expecting this to happen, and I save all my movies, music, software, and image macros on a separate hard drive. 

Triple Zero

Quote from: Felix on January 19, 2010, 05:24:55 AM
Fact:  My windows box that I was using for the big screen shat the bed yesterday.  Now I have to put linux on it.  Luckily I was expecting this to happen, and I save all my movies, music, software, and image macros on a separate hard drive. 

protip: do not OS and Data on the same logical disk.

not that I take my own advice, but I really should.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 20, 2010, 01:51:45 PM

This.  It drives me insane trying to set Windows up that way with any level of transparency though.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Jasper

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 20, 2010, 01:51:45 PM

I said they're separate.

Oh, but it turns out the backup HD had bad sectors and the boot drive got fucked somehow on top of it.  I was able to put ubuntu on it and save my music and ebooks.