News:

To the "allies," if you aren't complicit in my crimes then you are complicit in theirs.

Main Menu

Goddamn politics.

Started by LMNO, January 19, 2010, 03:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMNO

So, there's a special election in Massachusetts today, to fill the senate position that opened up when Ted Kennedy blew a gasket.

The Democratic candidate is a System™-licking lackey, who got nominated via pandering to the middle-right, and thought she could just coast her way into the seat, due to the "Blue-ness" of traditional MA politics.

The Republican candidate is a rat bastard who voted against abortion-for-rape (and abortion in general), and who pandered himself to the teabaggers, and those who think that voting for him would actually lower taxes ( :lulz: ).

The Libertarian candidate took the worst parts of both the Democratic and Republican platforms, and is currently being laughed at.

So, I don't want to vote for any of them, but I have to.  Why?  Because if the Republican wins, then he breaks the super-majority in the Senate, and becomes artificially powerful, like Lieberman.  He'd have an unearned stronghold over legislation, and do his best to shove his socially conservative agenda forward.

But that fucking Democratic candidate doesn't deserve my vote.

:argh!:  THIS IS THE BEST YOU HAVE TO OFFER?

The Good Reverend Roger

So vote for whomever is funniest.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Xila31

On the plus side, as long as you don't vote for the Republican at least that is one less vote for him. On the down side, that might not help and there are a lot of Republicans running around. So, it does seem you're screwed and should vote on this one. I have actually never voted because of this exact problem. I say "I will keep my precious vote for when you give me someone worth voting for." (I was actually going to vote for the first time in the presidential election but my registration was purged about a month after I registered. Weird, huh?)

Cain

I suggest vote Republican.  Apparently the Democrats are scared by Republican gains in the polls.  So I suggest vote for them, then write a letter and say why you voted for them, namely if you're going to get fucked, you'd rather have the GOP do it in their forthright and shameless manner, then let the Democrats drag it out.  And then add, maybe if the Democrats didn't keep fielding evil fucks who are a couple of goose steps off a teabagger in the first place, then you might consider voting for them again.

So long as your vote is guaranteed, you'll be treated like shit.  Make them fight for it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 19, 2010, 04:15:12 PM
I suggest vote Republican.  Apparently the Democrats are scared by Republican gains in the polls.  So I suggest vote for them, then write a letter and say why you voted for them, namely if you're going to get fucked, you'd rather have the GOP do it in their forthright and shameless manner, then let the Democrats drag it out.  And then add, maybe if the Democrats didn't keep fielding evil fucks who are a couple of goose steps off a teabagger in the first place, then you might consider voting for them again.

So long as your vote is guaranteed, you'll be treated like shit.  Make them fight for it.

What's weird is that politicians' Overton Windows keep galloping right, while the nation's is pretty much static at the moment.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

It is a strange thing, that.  The press, too.  There has to be a reason, but I'm not seeing it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 19, 2010, 04:22:48 PM
It is a strange thing, that.  The press, too.  There has to be a reason, but I'm not seeing it.

The press is owned by the same people that own the politicians, is my guess.

Xila31

All I know is where I work you can't turn around without stepping on a Republican's toes.

The media is very much owned in the same way of politics. Every station or paper has their own slant. People read whatever biased in their direction. So it is hard to sort out the facts from the fictions.

LMNO

The fact is that MA went from being a bastion of liberal strength to a mealy-mouthed assortment of retards.

LMNO
-Ted Kennedy was kind of a prick, but he didn't take any shit, or so the story goes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on January 19, 2010, 04:33:37 PM
The fact is that MA went from being a bastion of liberal strength to a mealy-mouthed assortment of retards.

LMNO
-Ted Kennedy was kind of a prick, but he didn't take any shit, or so the story goes.

The democrat party in general, not just MA.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 19, 2010, 04:23:15 PM

Oh yeah, absolutely.  Most media pundits are definitely part of the political class, same trends should apply.  I meant more the disconnect between them and the rest of the country, that I can't really understand.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on January 19, 2010, 04:54:39 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 19, 2010, 04:23:15 PM

Oh yeah, absolutely.  Most media pundits are definitely part of the political class, same trends should apply.  I meant more the disconnect between them and the rest of the country, that I can't really understand.

They're trying - and succeeding - to get the general population out of politics, for reasons which should be obvious.

BabylonHoruv

Is the Libertarian the only third party candidate?  Also does Mass have a write in option?  I know that in Washington you can write in on any ballot and if I didn't support any of the candidates I usually do write in.  It sends a much stronger message than not voting at all.

Also, writing to the Dem candidate or the local Dem party and giving them those reasons why you did not vote for them is a very good idea, keep the fucks accountable.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Eater of Clowns

I agree completely, the choices were awful.  I almost didn't vote, but I decided since I had a coin to flip on me I would stop by on my way to work.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: The Omnipotent Grinner on January 20, 2010, 02:02:06 AM
I agree completely, the choices were awful.  I almost didn't vote, but I decided since I had a coin to flip on me I would stop by on my way to work.

I wouldn't have shifted my ass for Coakley.