News:

In North Korea, this forum wouldn't be banned, it would be revered and taught in schools as a palatable and preferable version of Western history. And in many ways, that's all the truth the children of North Korea need

Main Menu

You can't destroy the city.

Started by Requia ☣, January 20, 2010, 05:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

So in History class they told me about the third Punic War.  Where the Romans burned all of Carthage to the ground, then took everybody who survived as slaves.

Today I was browsing Wikipedia, and apparently there's still a city there.  What exactly does it take to get rid of this thing?  Hell, in WWII we burned Dresden to ground, nuked two Japanese cities, and Hitler did his damnedest to get rid of London, a=but all those are still there today.  It can be *done* there are a few ruins of cities that somehow died, I know the Mayans lost a few cities, though exactly why seems to be a bit fuzzy.  Jericho is a ruin too, but that supposedly took divine intervention. and God doesn't return my emails.

So how exactly do we get rid of it, if burning it down doesn't actually work?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

BabylonHoruv

The Romans not only burned Carthage they actually salted the ground around it so it would not be able to support crops.  Hard core effort at killing that city and it did not die.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Requia ☣

Not actually true.  That was made up in the 19th century, there's no mention of it before then.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Requia ☣ on January 20, 2010, 06:03:56 AM
Not actually true.  That was made up in the 19th century, there's no mention of it before then.

Fuckers from the 1800's deceiving me with their slanderous lies.

Does that mean that perhaps salting the earth could kill a city?  We've got nastier things to salt it with than rocksalt now after all.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Requia ☣

Maybe.  They salt the streets a lot of places though, doesn't seem to stop people from living in them.

Nast

Quote from: Requia ☣ on January 20, 2010, 06:13:48 AM
Maybe.  They salt the streets a lot of places though, doesn't seem to stop people from living in them.

I suppose because nowadays, most food isn't grown within large urban centers.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Jasper

Lead plumbing, state mandated religion, and private fire departments.

ETA:  Oh, and good timing.

Nast

Quote from: Felix on January 20, 2010, 06:48:33 AM
Lead plumbing, state mandated religion, and private fire departments.

I hate to be the one to ruin the fun, but even lead plumbing doesn't do the trick if it builds up a protective layer of minerals. That's why the ancient Romans didn't all get poisoned; there was a lot of calcium in the water that accumulated and acted as a barrier between their water and their plumbing.

Or so I hear.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Jasper

Okay.

Mercury pollution, state mandated religion, and private fire departments.

Fixed.

I love how there is a thread to discuss how to survive societal collapse, and another thread gets jacked so we can discuss how to make it happen.

/Threadjack

Nast

Quote from: Felix on January 20, 2010, 07:20:54 AM
Okay.

Mercury pollution, state mandated religion, and private fire departments.

Fixed.

I love how there is a thread to discuss how to survive societal collapse, and another thread gets jacked so we can discuss how to make it happen.

/Threadjack

I wouldn't think it's a threadjack. All these ideas do answer the OP's question, after all.

Ooh, and mercury poisoning's a good one because it causes long lasting crippling effects, and can even be congenital. See Minamata and Niigata, etc.

Jasper

That's where I got the idea.

History is an abbatoir.

Payne

Quote from: Requia ☣ on January 20, 2010, 05:53:43 AM
So in History class they told me about the third Punic War.  Where the Romans burned all of Carthage to the ground, then took everybody who survived as slaves.

Today I was browsing Wikipedia, and apparently there's still a city there.  What exactly does it take to get rid of this thing?  Hell, in WWII we burned Dresden to ground, nuked two Japanese cities, and Hitler did his damnedest to get rid of London, a=but all those are still there today.  It can be *done* there are a few ruins of cities that somehow died, I know the Mayans lost a few cities, though exactly why seems to be a bit fuzzy.  Jericho is a ruin too, but that supposedly took divine intervention. and God doesn't return my emails.

So how exactly do we get rid of it, if burning it down doesn't actually work?

They tend not to just disapear because cities are built in good places to build cities. (Except Tucson, and anywhere in Canada).

Assuming the civilization has enough resources and political will, they will rebuild it no matter how slowly because, well, it was a good place to build a city.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nast on January 20, 2010, 06:21:07 AM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on January 20, 2010, 06:13:48 AM

I suppose because nowadays, most food isn't grown within large urban centers.

really wonder about that, how it'll affect the trees and other greens in coming spring. they salted the fuck out of our streets when we had that snow in the past few weeks.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Aufenthatt

Having been to Carthage I can easily explain why it is still there.
The only four ancient things I found were:

A burial ground for children (Cartheraginian)
A bath house (Roman)
A port (everyone)
Dinosaurs in a museum (stolen from all over Tunisa)

So the Romans burnt it to the ground, then rebuilt it, which was disapointing because they don't seem to have thought that far ahead with Greece.
London rebuilt itself, and uses massive fires as a method of pest control anyway. In Germany Dresden and Hamburg were destroyed totally. People built new stuff and kept calling the area the same name, but they are both new cities.  

So basicly the way to destroy a city is kill everyone who knows its name, expecially people with building skills.

Suu

Where Troy is supposed to be, they found like 9 different cities built on top of one another with the last one actually being the Roman settlement of Ilium. The level in which is considered Homeric Troy, "Troy VII", nothing is left but fragments of walls. Sparta didn't fuck around.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."