News:

Testimonial - Well it seems that most of you "discordians" are little more than dupes of the Cathedral/NWO memetic apparatus after all -- "freethinkers" in the sense that you are willing to think slightly outside the designated boxes of correct thought, but not free in the sense that you reject the existence of the boxes and seek their destruction.

Main Menu

Corporations now have the right to spend money directly to influence elections

Started by BabylonHoruv, January 21, 2010, 09:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia ☣ on January 24, 2010, 09:14:36 PM
Depends on how the FEC reacts to this, the ruling says that blocking foreign companies is OK, so the FEC has the option of continuing to enforce it for them.

More interesting is how you determine a US vs a non US company.  There are some that are theoretically in the US but have offshored (or gone north or south of the borders) so heavily that they really shouldn't count as US based.  GM comes to mind here.

Who cares which corporations own us now?  One's the same as another.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Requia ☣

I'm confused, if the corporations are going to own us without this law, why did they let it pass in the first place?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Requia ☣ on January 25, 2010, 07:33:15 PM
I'm confused, if the corporations are going to own us without this law, why did they let it pass in the first place?

Two words:  Russ Feingold.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2010, 07:43:46 PM

and John McCain... for all his faults he chose the right side on this topic.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Ratatosk on January 25, 2010, 07:55:05 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 25, 2010, 07:43:46 PM

and John McCain... for all his faults he chose the right side on this topic.

Yeah, that was before he became a toothless old whore.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Mistress Freeky on January 22, 2010, 06:25:34 PM
Quote from: FP on January 22, 2010, 06:23:16 PM
But I say this because the 50s and 60s were a time which coalesced some of the thoughts and principles which still animate us today.  They came into being because of problems and deficiencies of thought processes which still plague us, and maybe they can be defeated somehow, or maybe only parried to be made slightly less significant.  I think every period of history has at least one Elvis, but that there is a real danger of getting distracted by the nostalgia and forgetting the message.

I'm curious. Who's today's Elvis?

My vote would be for Michael Jackson.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Ratatosk on January 22, 2010, 08:08:18 PM

When America began, it was freedom for White Male Landowners. Then, kicking and screaming they let White Females in, then a little minority here, then one there... and we're still fighting over 'who' should be covered by 'freedom for all'.

Actually black males received the vote before women of any race in the US.

-Dok Howl

The Wizard

Oh fucklol. I've been reading about this shit. Somewhere there's a corporate exec who's quietly pissing all over Tom Payne's grave.
Insanity we trust.

Fuquad

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on January 25, 2010, 09:32:01 PM
Oh fucklol. I've been reading about this shit. Somewhere there's a corporate exec who's quietly pissing all over Tom Payne's grave.
That'd be in New Rochelle, New York. Standing next to five other corporate executives loudly pissing all over it.
THE WORST FORUM ON THE INTERNET

The Wizard

If I ever see "the 1st Amendment brought to you by Nike" or some shit like that, I'm going to burn those fuckers down.
Insanity we trust.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on January 26, 2010, 03:19:04 AM
If I ever see "the 1st Amendment brought to you by Nike" or some shit like that, I'm going to burn those fuckers down.

Do please burn them down now.

-Dok Howl

Requia ☣

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on January 25, 2010, 09:25:53 PM

When America began, it was freedom for White Male Landowners. Then, kicking and screaming they let White Females in, then a little minority here, then one there... and we're still fighting over 'who' should be covered by 'freedom for all'.

Nope, women had the right to vote from the word go in New Jersey (this was removed later).  For that matter *anybody* blacks, white, Chinese, men, women, whatever, could vote in new jersey at the time, 'property owner' included *all* property, not just land.

I've never actually seen anything that would require landowning in the early franchise laws (though the poor were often excluded via high poll taxes).  If anybody knows of a state that did require it I'd love to hear about it though.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Requia ☣ on January 26, 2010, 05:47:42 AM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on January 25, 2010, 09:25:53 PM

Nope, women had the right to vote from the word go in New Jersey (this was removed later).  For that matter *anybody* blacks, white, Chinese, men, women, whatever, could vote in new jersey at the time, 'property owner' included *all* property, not just land.

I've never actually seen anything that would require landowning in the early franchise laws (though the poor were often excluded via high poll taxes).  If anybody knows of a state that did require it I'd love to hear about it though.

North Carolina was the last State to remove the 'landowner' requirement, that was in 1856.

In fact this topic is one of the things that keeps old President Jackson around as a 'great President'...

When the country started, Jews, Catholics and other Horrible People were not allowed to vote, only good Protestants. A number of State Constitutions had a line about believing in God and Jesus etc as a requirement to vote. It was Andrew Jackson that pushed for equality (in that ALL White men should be allowed to vote... which is kinda like equality, except not...) and lead to the rise of the Democratic party and the sad belief that they are for "the People".

And the poor were fucked by a polling tax until the mid-60's. Native Americans didn't get to vote until the early 20's after Women (1920) and African Americans (1870).

The reason for this law is based on the way English voting worked... you had to be a land owner or titled in order to vote, so the colonies adapted it. At the time, keep in mind, that relatively few people could read or write or behave in a logical fashion (at least in the perception of the educated). There was a strong belief that if you weren't 'invested' in the country, then you shouldn't have a say in the election... after all, you might be stupid and believe some politician when he lies to you.

John Adams:
Depend upon it, Sir, it is dangerous to open so fruitful a source of controversy and altercation as would be opened by attempting to alter the qualifications of voters; there will be no end to it. New claims will arise; women will demand the vote; lads from 12 to 21 will think their rights not enough attended to; and every man who has not a farthing, will demand an equal voice with any other, in all acts of state. It tends to confound and destroy all distinctions, and prostrate all ranks to one common level.

After almost 9 decades of 'most' people having the right to vote... well... Maybe they weren't so dumb... maybe there are a large number of people that are not qualified to vote. Obviously their criteria were flawed based on prejudice and flaws in knowledge at the time. But, er, the past decade seems to indicate that a large number of Americans are witless fools waiting, willing and wanting to be manipulated, lied to and scorned by their elected representative.

I had to do a quick Google cause I couldn't remember actual examples, but I found a few:

Delaware expected voters to own fifty acres of land or property worth £40.
Rhode Island set the limit at land valued at £40 or worth an annual rent of £2.
Connecticut required land worth an annual rent of £2 or livestock worth £40.

Those are three examples of a very common law, excluding New Jersey and on other colony that I can't remember off hand.

The Good Reverend Roger

:lol:

John Adams had ideas about democracy that were...unmodern.

He also hated free speech.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 28, 2010, 04:03:47 PM
:lol:

John Adams had ideas about democracy that were...unmodern.

He also hated free speech.

Yeah, 'democracy' was not a good term in the late 1700's. It was considered much like anarchy is today... a completely unworkable model that would lead to madness and the destruction of everything good. "OMGZ we can't let the plebs vote, for god's sake they'll just sell their vote to the highest bidder because they're too dumb to know what's best for them! Or worse yet, vote in some illiterate buffoon that will dress up in a flight suit and crow about winning a war that is just starting!"