News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

Spagbook

Started by Cramulus, January 22, 2010, 02:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

And what's with the jodhpurs?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

Ok, jokes aside, if you have some sort of eyeball computer that you hacked together and acutally works, I'm impressed.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 30, 2014, 02:14:56 AM
Ok, jokes aside, if you have some sort of eyeball computer that you hacked together and acutally works, I'm impressed.

Agreed.  That's 169.5% mad fucking science.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on January 30, 2014, 01:10:32 AM
Quote from: :regret: on January 29, 2014, 02:12:37 PM
Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on January 29, 2014, 01:16:38 PM

New project
Looks punk! What is it?
It's a computer. The black thing is a chording keyboard. The writeup is here.
That is a very cool project! I especially like the glove addition.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Rococo Modem Basilisk

That's exactly what I have, though its utility is limited by fogging problems.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on January 30, 2014, 12:38:28 PM
That's exactly what I have, though its utility is limited by fogging problems.

That's a temperature issue.  Condensation forms on the coolest surface, and you have electronics RIGHT THERE NOT BEING THE COOLEST SURFACE.

Cramulus

New project
Looks punk! What is it?

Dude you are a genius. That is so freaking cool.

the Cornell project which did eyeball tracking via infrared light and cheap photo resistors is brilliant too -- I had never imagined you could build something so complex so cheaply.

Once you get the input problem solved, what kinds of stuff do you want to do with this thing?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on January 30, 2014, 05:09:47 PM

New project
Looks punk! What is it?

the Cornell project which did eyeball tracking via infrared light and cheap photo resistors is brilliant too -- I had never imagined you could build something so complex so cheaply.

Once you get the input problem solved, what kinds of stuff do you want to do with this thing?

ATTENTION, ENKI:  THE ONLY ACCEPTABLE ANSWER IS "ASSIMILATE THE FEDERATION".

Rococo Modem Basilisk

New project
Looks punk! What is it?

The input problem was really just that the keyboard hadn't come yet. I'm currently waiting on a new wifi dongle, and also for my girlfriend to help me with the glove.

As soon as I have the wifi dongle, I can use irc while walking.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on January 30, 2014, 11:17:33 PM
The input problem was really just that the keyboard hadn't come yet. I'm currently waiting on a new wifi dongle, and also for my girlfriend to help me with the glove.

:lulz:

That's cool as shit, but just because you can...
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 30, 2014, 05:11:05 PM

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on January 30, 2014, 11:20:52 PM
Quote from: Roko's Modern Basilisk on January 30, 2014, 11:17:33 PM

:lulz:

That's cool as shit, but just because you can...

Once the glove is done, I'll be able to play with that. This is what the design was originally used for, but I expect I can extend it to other situations where I want to quickly train patterns of muscle memory onto my fingers. One possibility is to program in the default twiddler keymap and then have my left hand mirror my right hand's motions while typing, to speed up learning to use the keyboard with the other hand.

One of the first tests was using the device in conjunction with xosd to perform notifications. That works quite well, although there are relatively few things that I can be notified about usefully on a device with no internet access (calendar entries, if I sync them, and other things where only the date and time matter). I can also take notes on the device, which may prove useful when trying to take notes on conversations or lectures in darkened rooms (for instance, during powerpoint presentations). That said, I'm avoiding wearing this to work -- it still looks too strange.

Count Chocula

Polish his knob, stimulate hair follicles, shit bitcoins. Just your normal, everyday stuff.

Salty

One day Enki will have the last laugh as he controls his nanobot army from his space bunker.

I fully accept that may happen.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 30, 2014, 11:29:43 PM
Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on January 30, 2014, 05:11:05 PM

In order for the Borg to be, you must have two kinds of people involved.

The first is the person to make the thing because it would be cool.
The second is the person to have the best intentions for such an invention.

I, my dear Uncle Roger, am a man full of good intentions. I would like to see humanity live as one. Let us take that to its logical conclusion with Enki's Borgoggles.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS